German Tourist's Fatal Fall at Pattaya Hotel Shocks Visitors

webfact

29 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

There's no evidence as yet, that he committed suicide.

There's also no evidence that he was pushed, which is what I was responding to

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SportRider said:

IT IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS HOW MANY DEATHS ARE CAUSED SIMPLY BY LOW RAILINGS ON HOTEL BALCONIES.

In developed nations, regulations require railings at a height sufficient to prevent easily toppling over by accident.

Sadly, that is NOT the case here.  This should be part of the Embassy country warnings.

Your observation is Irrelevant…. the OP clearly stated this is a Thai 5-Star hotel.

Surely such an esteemed establishment of international fame would have certainly met or exceeded all local and international Health & Safety Standards. 
🤓🤓🤓

• Like 1

Luckily he didn't hit someone having a leisurely stroll.

My experiens staying at the Pattaya Hilton is it has very high railings.   It would be hard to accidently fall.   

33rd floor is the top floor, just below the Horizons restaurant.   That's not including the 6 floors the Hilton sits atop Central Mall.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I often think about the ones they may have left behind.

Not only that but the people witnessing it.  If someone wants to do that it's one thing.  To selfishly make your last act something that traumatizes other people is something else.

15 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Quite a few new members to the Pattaya Flying Club recently.

I hope that they have finally found peace.

RIP folks.

The tragic season start again 

If a low balcony railing exists, then all everyone has to do is be careful if they are out on their

balcony. I stayed at a hotel in Bangkok with a 2 meter cement wall on the balcony, because some

poor young women were falling from the hotel to their deaths so the wall was built. My view was

not good but I went to the fire escape at eh hotels end to get swome photos of the area.

12 hours ago, AboutThaim said:

How are you so sure of this?

It often comes to my mind that it would be a very easy way for crims to make money.  Observe a foreigner making a withdrawal at an ATM, with a few mates follow them back to their room, knock on the door rush in, make sure you have the money, throw the foreigner over the rail.  Could use a female as bait and follow them back to his room.

Do police check how long the foreigner has booked the room, have they made a recent cash withdrawal, do they have cash on their person or in the room after death.  Too easy to declare it suicide.

Once the crims leaves the room what evidence is left behind?

There are cameras all over the city. This would be such an easy crime to solve and I have yet to see evidence of it happening in the twenty plus years I have been coming here. People get drunk and lean over balconies. People get high on drugs and lean over balconies. People get depressed and jump off balconies. Actually dragging someone out onto a balcony and throwing them off it would take quite a few very strong men.. it is so highly unlikely.

• Like 1

There are lots of older guys in pattaya that seem to go into a funk...often they seem to get depressed over some gal that they fell for and then down the road figure out she loves not him but his wallet and leaves for a bigger wallet..and then he does the exact same again with a different gal.....others may well have some kind of terminal disease and rather go sooner than drag it out with lots of pains.  Add in all kinds of potential nightmare problems back home with alimony payments or wild kids  or you are wanted by cops or any of dozens of other reasons people do get depressed and often if you add in a big bottle of booze and stand looking over a balcony all it takes is two seconds of screw it and over u go and all problems end for you.

Sad but true.  For some reason it seems in thailand that many always want to gin up some story that he was pushed or drugged and tossed over. My guess is the vast majority either do it on purpose or get drunk and fall....and yes some balconies are low but normal not drunk people can see they are low and are careful not to lean over too close to the edge.

RIP to the hilton jumper.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, champers said:

Carls has been closed for over a year. The company decided to exit Thailand. The tent is outside floor 1.

I really miss those chocolate milkshakes from Carl's.

23 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I would say the cause might be falling to the ground from a very high position.

It seems you may have flunked science. Cause of death means the specific medical cause of the death such as blunt trauma to the head or body, fractured skull, collapsed lungs, fractures, multiple contusions, internal bleeding, heart failure, external bleeding, etc. See if you can remember that next time you feel like denigrating and disrespecting the dead. Oh and like your mama said it's never too late to go back to school and take a science and physiology class. Unfortunately they don't teach respect, either you learned it by age 21 or you didn't. 

• Confused 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jonathan Swift said:

It seems you may have flunked science. Cause of death means the specific medical cause of the death such as blunt trauma to the head or body, fractured skull, collapsed lungs, fractures, multiple contusions, internal bleeding, heart failure, external bleeding, etc. See if you can remember that next time you feel like denigrating and disrespecting the dead. Oh and like your mama said it's never too late to go back to school and take a science and physiology class. Unfortunately they don't teach respect, either you learned it by age 21 or you didn't. 

Ops! Ops! Ops! You totally missed the point. I was not denigrating and disrespecting the dead. I was disrespecting the the Thai police. Seems to me like you know the victim, and that is of course bad and might be why you are reacting in such a way you do. I am also very glad to know that we have a forensic expert on the forum, and that you are not afraid to stand up and say what you want. However, calling me uneducated, is like putting an elevator in the toilet, but on the other hand that might be exactly what you are in to. And posting such a comment as you do, and at the same time talk about respect is hilarious. By the way did you know my mama? Do I have to take a DNA test? Getting scared here.

Also looks like 12 out of 14 understood that my post was meant to be a sarcastic joke about the police. That simply means you are in minority.

Edited by Gottfrid

22 hours ago, Chongalulu said:
22 hours ago, Sig said:

I believe that suicide, whether assisted or not, is one of the most selfish acts a human being can do.
While I can definitely understand many situations where one may feel like doing such a thing, in the end, it is phenomenally selfish.

I posit the trul selfish stance is trying to impose your beliefs on the wishes of others regarding their OWN life. It is theirs ,and theirs alone not yours. But you would impose an agonizing ,drawn out end to the life of one with a terminal illness? On what basis? Perhaps your belief in an unsubstantiated imaginary friend ? 

Perhaps English isn't your first language? And/or a severe chip on your shoulder from which such a toxic attitude exudes toward people that have differing ideas from you rather than being able to converse like a mentally stable person. If you try reading my comment again, you'll see that I did none of how your baseless accusations attempt to paint me. I stated my belief. I never tried to impose my beliefs on anyone. And I never said anything about imposing some sort of agonizing, drawn out end to a life of one with terminal illness. And you come out of left field with some wacko idea about an imaginary friend? It seems more likely that you have some sort of imaginary friend feeding you all sorts of deceptive ideas in order to get the meaning you took from my comment.
Seriously unhinged.

22 hours ago, Woof999 said:

Fortunately for the rest of the world there are mental health experts that understand depression far better than you. If this was suicide, which is not confirmed I believe, the anguish and pain this poor chap was going through must have been unimaginable.

That does not take away from any pain and grief his loved ones will have to go through.

Understanding depression is beside the point. And I never intimated anything at all about this fellow, whether he committed suicide or not. I was replying to some of the ideas posted here in general about suicide. I never speculated on the cause of this man's fall. I have no reason to believe he committed suicide. If he did, it is likely that he would have been in the state that you mentioned and it would be horrible. You sure do assume a lot from my comment that I didn't say nor imply.

22 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

I think it can be selfish to keep people alive while suffering.

Sure, I can agree with that too.

22 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

I think that you miss the point that people contemplating suicide are for a variety of reasons, emotionally disturbed. Your rational thinking and logic is not a factor. Nor is being selfish or unselfish.

you do realize people in the position of contemplating suicide are not thinking logically or rationally and THAT is the main issue. These people need help, not a condescending charge of being selfish.

I think you miss the point that I was making a generalized statement and that I don't expect it to be the case for 100% of suicides.
Similar to your generalized statement that is nowhere near 100% AT ALL about people contemplating suicide not thinking logically or rationally. Many had been thinking it through very logically and very rationally for a long time and even planning out their funeral, their family's future finances, etc.
It was not intended at all to be a condescending charge to state that it is selfish. In my opinion that is simply an objective viewpoint. It is what it is.

22 minutes ago, Sig said:

Perhaps English isn't your first language? And/or a severe chip on your shoulder from which such a toxic attitude exudes toward people that have differing ideas from you rather than being able to converse like a mentally stable person. If you try reading my comment again, you'll see that I did none of how your baseless accusations attempt to paint me. I stated my belief. I never tried to impose my beliefs on anyone. And I never said anything about imposing some sort of agonizing, drawn out end to a life of one with terminal illness. And you come out of left field with some wacko idea about an imaginary friend? It seems more likely that you have some sort of imaginary friend feeding you all sorts of deceptive ideas in order to get the meaning you took from my comment.
Seriously unhinged.

My English is fine (A level) .

” I did none of how your baseless accusations attempt to paint me” (sic) suggests you're the one struggling with grammar and syntax. To say nothing of your lack of qualification in the comment " suicide is selfish" which clearly suggests you make no exception. 

Don't express opinions on a public forum if you're not prepared to have them challenged. Breathtaking arrogance. 

PS. The English lesson is free , the embarrassment at being hoist with your own petard is something you'll just have to live with,I'm afraid..

2 hours ago, Sig said:

You sure do assume a lot from my comment that I didn't say nor imply.

I didn't assume anything from your comment. You wrote "I believe that suicide, whether assisted or not, is one of the most selfish acts a human being can do.", which is what my comment was referring to.

Have a lovely day.

23 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

There's also no evidence that he was pushed, which is what I was responding to

Then all you had to do was say that. No need to say he decided to commit suicide, when there's no evidence that he did, and when suicide is not the only alternative to being pushed.

Posted (edited)

Seems there was another one this morning, 8 June, reported at 03.36.

As yet unknown nationality, from the 25 floor of a 27 storey unit, on Beach Road.

Picture from local rescue foundation

IMG_3148.jpeg

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Seems there was another one this morning, 8 June, reported at 03.36.

As yet unknown nationality, from the 25 floor of a 27 storey unit, on Beach Road.

Crikey, so sad.

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Crikey, so sad.

This being reported as a female.

Looking at the pictures, it looks like it could possibly be View Talay 6, next to Central Festival.

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Agree 1