What are the positive aspects to living in Thailand?

bob smith

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

When you grew up watching live The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Roy Orbison.... the list is endless. So, no thanks. Spoiled rotten when young.

Time moves on, I listen to most of that as well that I grew up with from time to time, but not stuck in the past, Glastonbury no thanks.

For me many aspects.

Cheap well-developed public transportation. Here in Bang Khae district of Bangkok 10 years without a car or motorbike. But have Thai DL for foreign travel.

Many shopping malls and cinemas. 7/11 a ten minute walk from residence.

Some great private hospitals that take my foreign healthcare insurance.

Go cashless as much as possible.

Tax-free incoming foreign transfers

Mostly make my own meals, rarely eat out; rarely have any alcohol

Inexpensive hair cuts, dental care, housing (townhouse), utilities, 5G internet

Easy to make Thai friends.

28 minutes ago, proton said:

Time moves on, I listen to most of that as well that I grew up with from time to time, but not stuck in the past, Glastonbury no thanks.

There's a difference between being stuck in the past and comparing then and now. Then was better, as anyone who experienced the 60s music scene would probably agree. The days when people instead of computers composed music and car alarm 'music' didn't exist.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

There's a difference between being stuck in the past and comparing then and now. Then was better, as anyone who experienced the 60s music scene would probably agree. The days when people instead of computers composed music and car alarm 'music' didn't exist.

So how is listening to old western music a positive aspect of living in Thailand? you can do that anywhere. 

3 minutes ago, proton said:

So how is listening to old western music a positive aspect of living in Thailand? you can do that anywhere. 

I didn't write that it is. I was following up on a post about a Thai act and said it didn't compare well to what music was in the past. Going off-topic, I admit, comparing listening to Thai music to old western music. I was just offering a point of view, if that's okay with you.

• Sad 1

On 6/29/2024 at 1:08 PM, RSD1 said:

Well in that case let's not forget how lucky we are that there is no shortage of road deaths. Thailand is number one in the world in fact. 60+ per day on average. Hub of road carnage. Be good or be good at it, right? 

You also forgot to mention that it is one of the only countries where you can be so lucky as to go home with a woman and wake up with a man, right? 

You are incorrect Thailand doesn’t even rate in the top ten for annual road deaths in the world.

On 6/29/2024 at 1:02 PM, bob smith said:

some people have been complaining that I am too negative and never focus on the positives about living here.

So I would like to ring off what I think is good about living here, one by one:

1. Good food.

2. Relatively affordable.

3. Good weather for 6 months of the year.

4. Beautiful beaches.

5. Hot girls.

6. Drunk driving is tolerated/easy to do.

7. Fast internet.

that's pretty much all I can think of for now.

So to all the naysayers who say I'm a miserable b@stard, well, there you have it!

it's not all doom n gloom.

bob.

No 6 bob. So you think it's good that drunk driving is tolerated. Personally I would like to see everyone who is caught driving while drunk getting heavily fined and jailed for at least 5 years, and then if it is a non Thai, deported.

• Agree 1

On 6/29/2024 at 1:35 PM, bob smith said:

literally all my farang/thai friends drive drunk.

bob.

"literally all my farang/thai friends drive drunk", and they are still your friends?? What does that say about you?

Tell me something bob, are  you being serious or as another poster says, just trolling?

My wife 

My wife farm 

My favorite Islands with little tourism

Good value for the money 

Climate 7 months a year.

Easy renewal of of my retirement visa

Suvarnabhumi is an great Airport and Bangkok as destination is great after multiple options on airlines who again fly direct at reasonable prices. 

Cons

confusing future tax regulations on transfers

Smokey season

To hot climate a few months a year.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

"literally all my farang/thai friends drive drunk", and they are still your friends?? What does that say about you?

Tell me something bob, are  you being serious or as another poster says, just trolling?

Why should I tell you anything?

bob.

Edited by bob smith

6 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

You have already told everyone that it is good for people to drive while drunk, so you don't need to tell me anything.

Why are you asking me am I telling you then?

If you have got a problem with Thai's drink driving then write your MP (or get your Thai Mrs. to do it)..

Their country, their rules!

bob.

On 6/29/2024 at 7:02 AM, bob smith said:

some people have been complaining that I am too negative and never focus on the positives about living here.

So I would like to ring off what I think is good about living here, one by one:

1. Good food.

2. Relatively affordable.

3. Good weather for 6 months of the year.

4. Beautiful beaches.

5. Hot girls.

6. Drunk driving is tolerated/easy to do.

7. Fast internet.

that's pretty much all I can think of for now.

So to all the naysayers who say I'm a miserable b@stard, well, there you have it!

it's not all doom n gloom.

bob.

You just can't help yourself can you?

You pretend to be making a half sensible post for a change but then include a stupid comment about being able to drink and drive.

If your only way of communicating with others is through posting deliberately obnoxious subject matter on little known internet forums, you must live a very sad life Bob, you need help. I'd recommend some therapy.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, bob smith said:

Why are you asking me am I telling you then?

If you have got a problem with Thai's drink driving then write your MP (or get your Thai Mrs. to do it)..

Their country, their rules!

bob.

Who said anything about Thai's drink driving? I was talking about any drunken driver, especially these pals that you mentioned.

This debate ends here, we will just have to agree to disagree.you think it is OK to drive while drunk and I don't bye bye.

1 minute ago, NoshowJones said:

Who said anything about Thai's drink driving? I was talking about any drunken driver, especially these pals that you mentioned.

This debate ends here, we will just have to agree to disagree.you think it is OK to drive while drunk and I don't bye bye.

yeah, ta ta.

bob.

16 minutes ago, bob smith said:

Just having a drink.

And no, I'm not taking a taxi home.

bob.

Yeah, they always say it's better to drink and then drive, but never the two at the same time, this way you don't spill your beer. 

• Love It 1

On 6/29/2024 at 4:02 PM, bob smith said:

Beautiful beaches.

The beaches look beautiful but generally speaking they are too uncomfortable due to the high air temperature, the high water temperature, the high humidity, the hot/ non refreshing breeze and the ridiculously shallow water. 

IMG_4409.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1