British yoga teacher stranded in Bangkok airport over passport tear

webfact

On 7/10/2024 at 2:54 PM, Leadidge said:

What’s her own fault? 
An irrelevant tear in her passport or the fact that they’re being cnuts because they can? 
Mismanage? How the fukc would she know they wouldn’t allow a tiny tear in her passport? Perhaps it’s her first time travelling, perhaps it’s never been an issue before (as it shouldn’t!) 

I doubt she’d want to work with someone as judgemental as you anyway! FFS!

You are an angry person. 

You sound ill, I hope you get well soon. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/9/2024 at 10:42 PM, Wuvu2 said:

IndiGo Airlines is a must-miss. I've never experienced a more impolite and aggressive airline staff or crew. Truly not at an international standard of customer care. 

I booked a flight with them at the start of covid. Covid broke out and everything canceled, but they did not want to refund my money. They ended up giving me 1/3 of it back.

I live in an area with a few hundreds of those types, Yoga gurus that live in their multi million dollars homes and charge $ 7 000. for a stay in their  weekend retreat, in their rocky temples hiding on the hills behind the oak trees. By my own experience they are a Kosher version of the Asian religions. The type of woman "do not touch me, you smell bad". Lunatics that live in another dimension and like to pretend to be poor.

On 7/10/2024 at 1:30 PM, Dave0206 said:

I'm sure at some time in our lives ( I'm talking for me) if I had been refused my flight after thinking I was free to spend my last baht it would have been a worrying time .

In 1970/71ish I spent my last coin on a fruit shake outside the airport in Montego Bay, Jamaica. Couldn't pay the exit tax and had to panhandle for enough $$ to leave.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/10/2024 at 10:11 AM, webfact said:

I was at immigration just crying, and everyone kept saying there was nothing they could do. I thought I had all the right visa documents. I just want to go home.”

I DO NOT understand this woman!

a. I never cry when they tell me I cannot go home.

b. I ONLY cry when they tell me I cannot stay.

The last place I want to be is home in the USA with Trump and Biden, and all that Fentanyl Fun.

Thailand is so much better.

And I would NEVER CRY unless they told me I must go home.

I do not get it.  She should be happy to stay here.

And, who would want to go to India, Either!!!

It's too hot in India.

The top of her passport is stained and curled as well. Maybe this groovy hippie yoga chick thought that made her a well seasoned traveler but some uptight airport workers won't see it that way.

The rules regarding passports are clear and ubiquitous; they must be undamaged. A 1 cm tear on the most important page is significant damage. 

The questions are. When was it damaged? How long did the woman know it was damaged. Why didn't she do something about it when the passport was first damaged?

I spent 10 years in the airline business, I seen passengers refused for a lot less damage than that. 

On 7/10/2024 at 2:32 PM, charleskerins said:

You gotta lotta likes for your callous post ,how exactly is it her fault?

It's her fault for having a damaged passport. Just from reading the story it seems most unlikely she was unaware of the damage.

Many people don't realize that you do not own your passport. It is the property of the issuing government, and they allow you to use it on their behalf. 

This is why it's illegal for a business to demand your passport for holding. I never allow that. I'll let them take a picture of it, a photocopy of it, a scan of it, but I never hand it over and pick it up later when I return the motorbike I rented, for example. 

A damaged passport is not acceptable. The rules are clear. If a person doesn't  know this, perhaps they shouldn't be traveling.  

On 7/10/2024 at 12:08 PM, oslooskar said:

Apparently I'm missing something here. So, maybe you can help me out and explain exactly how a yoga instructor is going to hijack an airliner with her slightly torn passport?

Jesus .... do you need some help .......  tampered passport .do not pass go .... end of story ! to you that might sound excessive but if your job depended on it you'd be rejecting the same every time . 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2024 at 6:41 AM, damo1967 said:

The main point is she should have been aware that any damage to any part of a passport could cause a problem

....and that she could be arrested for working without a wp.

The main point is she should have been aware that any damage to any part of a passport could cause a problem

On 7/10/2024 at 4:32 PM, brianthainess said:

Well Actually I think it did only stop, and it was just carry on baggage we had to take off, some passengers disembarked there, and other new ones  boarded.

Yes but my point was tht people were ASS U MING that is was just a switch plane.  That is one thing, but if she was planning to stop and visit, then it is a completely different thing.

On 7/12/2024 at 12:15 AM, Chetzee said:

Jesus .... do you need some help .......  tampered passport .do not pass go .... end of story ! to you that might sound excessive but if your job depended on it you'd be rejecting the same every time . 

Aaah, yes, of course, how thoughtless of me. Hopefully I won't be denied my flight because of a few staples in one of my passport pages.

57 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

Aaah, yes, of course, how thoughtless of me. Hopefully I won't be denied my flight because of a few staples in one of my passport pages.

more than 50/50 i'd say if travelling on an Indian airline ... 

I've got one of these 1cm tears on a passport page too, have travelled using it recently but heard that Indonesia definitely wouldn't let me in. Anyone know a skilled shop where I could take it in Pattaya to be fixed (Do they even have book shops or similar?). In the meantime I'll put India and their airlines on the do not travel list.

On 7/10/2024 at 4:26 PM, killala said:

Cannot for the life of me get the head around " a small tear of 1cm "'in the passport? I've been into and exited India with a passport that had taken a turn through the washing machine... sheer madness. Q

It is madness to travel with a damaged passport as everybody should know this invalidated the passport. Some people can't be bothered to read though.

• Like 1

Just now, FritsSikkink said:

It is madness to travel with a damaged passport as everybody should know this invalidated the passport. Some people can't be bothered to read though.

I asked the same question earlier on in the thread..

- are you 100% sure you passport is in perfect condition ?…

- or, would you have to go & double check it ? (Which is something  just don’t do).

- I travel & lot & I’ve never checked my passport specifically for damage.

- I did have a tiny tear in the ID page  a few years back, it was never an issue in any of the countries I’d been in.

Let’s not be so easy to judge someone with such slight damage to their passport, it easily goes unnoticed.

The people at the airport who made an issue of this on the other hand made a mountain out of a molehill. 

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I asked the same question earlier on in the thread..

- are you 100% sure you passport is in perfect condition ?…

- or, would you have to go & double check it ? (Which is something  just don’t do).

- I travel & lot & I’ve never checked my passport specifically for damage.

- I did have a tiny tear in the ID page  a few years back, it was never an issue in any of the countries I’d been in.

Let’s not be so easy to judge someone with such slight damage to their passport, it easily goes unnoticed.

The people at the airport who made an issue of this on the other hand made a mountain out of a molehill. 

I know a 100% that my passport is not damaged.

On 7/12/2024 at 5:36 AM, zakalwe said:

The top of her passport is stained and curled as well. Maybe this groovy hippie yoga chick thought that made her a well seasoned traveler but some uptight airport workers won't see it that way.

It’s not stained, that’s how the design is. Looks like a combination of carelessness (visa issue, damaged PP), overzealous IMM officers, and a Mickey Mouse airline. 
Par for the course for the no-empathy boomers to pour scorn though. Course, they’ve never had issues with too many entries, banned stamps, looking like they’ve been dragged through a hedge etc 🙂

I had to replace my damaged passport 4 years ago which by reading the description it wasn't as $hitstained as hers.

I never got featured on aseannow.

why?

• 1 month later...
On 7/10/2024 at 4:57 PM, spidermike007 said:

Accidents do happen, and sometimes they are beyond our control, who knows what happened to her passport? Have you never had an incident with a passport, have you never made a mistake in your lifetime? Do you have no compassion for someone who has? 

Never.... 69 years old travelled the world many many times I am just a working stiff. I have sense to prepare, accept that issues can and do occur, always have a backup plan so that I do not have to leech and am able to retain my dignity. Self entitled female vibes here. The worse thing is that bleeding heart sumps will fall for her ineptitude and fund her scam. 

• Sad 1

On 7/19/2024 at 10:25 AM, daveAustin said:

It’s not stained, that’s how the design is. Looks like a combination of carelessness (visa issue, damaged PP), overzealous IMM officers, and a Mickey Mouse airline. 
Par for the course for the no-empathy boomers to pour scorn though. Course, they’ve never had issues with too many entries, banned stamps, looking like they’ve been dragged through a hedge etc 🙂

We are just awake to the childish self entitled attitudes of the gen z woke attitudes of kidults never raised correctly by their parents. Unleashed on us whom have raised children do not want to deal with the pathetic self entitled attitudes of the majority of your generation 

On 7/10/2024 at 5:42 AM, Wuvu2 said:

IndiGo Airlines is a must-miss. I've never experienced a more impolite and aggressive airline staff or crew. Truly not at an international standard of customer care. 

i think most here comment never fly..............

just about indigo, i used many times for OW tickets , for flights bkk baku bkk tashkent bkk istanbul.

i never had bad satff expririence  or any delays in flights. I book always my seat  row 1 cost about 15$ and have a lot of legroom. flights are cheaper, so no expect a super service , but fair

...only the cleaning of aircrafts, typical india porks , are like the rest of india ( for ex sticky dirty  windows from inside i mean)

i made a 5 year india visa , bcs i  dont always want stay on airport and wait and i can comninate flights for example thai air/ indigo , whats without visa not possible. 80$ the visa worth the money.

..i not india fan , very very  s**** country, but be realistic when comment about an airline

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/10/2024 at 11:41 AM, Sheryl said:

It is certainly possible to change flights in India (at New Delhi anyway) without an Indian visa. As in most international airports there is a "Transfer" line that you follow. I've done it twice this year.

However  India being India, while you do not go through Immigration or need an Indian visa ,  you do have to go through a byzantine labyrinth in which you must present your passport and boarding passes several times to get into the departure area. And  India being India,   they might well kick up a fuss about a small tear.

I fairly recently discovered Dante's long lost 10th circle of Hell - the transit procedure at Mumbai airport!

The final "icing on a cake" was when I drained a glass of beer in the bar at the transit lounge and saw the state of the bottom of the glass - sure enough two hours later Gandhi's revenge set in!

21 hours ago, NaaKap said:

We are just awake to the childish self entitled attitudes of the gen z woke attitudes of kidults never raised correctly by their parents. Unleashed on us whom have raised children do not want to deal with the pathetic self entitled attitudes of the majority of your generation 

What's more we are miserable old men!

She travelled - how dare she!

She studied Yoga and gained a qualification - admittedly not my idea of fun but a perfectly acceptable thing to do, one that could perhaps have led to a career in the UK

She spent some time in Thailand, and continued with her Yoga and did some voluntary work, how disgustingly altruistic!

She booked a return ticket on an airline which offers cheap travel, and has now been refused travel on that airline for a particularly Mickey Mouse, footling reason.

Her sister has raised the funds to get her home. No one has asked you for any money. If I had been aware of her situation I would probably have sent a tenner!

As you may have gathered, sometimes people really "light me up!"

Edited by herfiehandbag

On 7/10/2024 at 11:08 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps the main takeaway from this is if you are skint, don't go on holidays to foreign countries.

No it has to do with Scotch Tape.

On 7/10/2024 at 10:42 AM, Wuvu2 said:

I have used them many times without a problem.