Everybody is born and dies the same way

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps you should stop starting silly threads if you don't like the replies.

Nothing I bought was junk. Some of it was cheap though. Perhaps you confuse cheap with junk.

Nothing? :coffee1:

9 hours ago, susanlea said:

Born naked with nothing. When you die you don't get to take stuff with you. So why do people accumulate so much junk? 99% of everything you own is junk.

Maybe 99% of everything you touch is junk... your projection reflects poorly on you not others.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Maybe 99% of everything you touch is junk... your projection reflects poorly on you not others.

Maybe you are materialistic and that reflects poorly on you.:coffee1:

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, susanlea said:

Born naked with nothing. When you die you don't get to take stuff with you. So why do people accumulate so much junk? 99% of everything you own is junk.

Speak for yourself. I was born with a cowboy hat and boots.

19 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Hoarding is associated with functional deficits in the frontal and temporal lobes of the brain, particularly with problems in the left temporal lobe. Apparently, hoarding reduces anxiety in this clinical population.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-human-beast/202208/does-hoarding-have-evolutionary-roots

Internet Ranting and the Myth of Catharsis... Internet Ranting and the Myth of Catharsis | Psychology Today

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, susanlea said:

You sound unhappy. 

Until he got laughed out of the room, his other go-to was "You're drunk'. It's just more running away.

Everyone's unhappy, or rageful. What a drama queen.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Hoarding is associated with functional deficits in the frontal and temporal lobes of the brain, particularly with problems in the left temporal lobe. Apparently, hoarding reduces anxiety in this clinical population.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-human-beast/202208/does-hoarding-have-evolutionary-roots

Yes, but is hoarding what you're saying in your post? You refer to what people have as junk. If it's things they really don't need, it should be sold, especially if it's taking up space or out of control, like in hoarding. Yes, we all live and die and can't take anything with us besides memories. What people have as hobbies and interests is what makes those memories. I believe in God, and see this world as a short stop before something better. If this world was perfect, which it's nowhere near, we wouldn't need faith, looking forward to something better, without pain and sickness or loss.

Some people are very rich, and have done things to hurt others or the planet, and they aren't thinking of anything but themselves and what they have, which of course they can't take with them either.

Going back to those hobbies and interests,these are things we like to do which take up much of our time here, so we aren't bored all the time. I have thousands of cd's I can always go to for listening pleasure, as music is one of the biggest things in my life. I have a lot of fishing tackle and guns, along with accessories, which I use to enjoy my two favorite hobbies. It isn't junk, although it means nothing to people who aren't into fishing and hunting. Those people might be artists, who have rooms full of art material. This isn't something I can do because I wasn't gifted with that talent, but I do like looking at art. I like reading daily, and have thousands of magazines and a few books. Some have libraries of thousands of books. Like my cd collection, you can't read more than one book at a time, but it's still not junk, as they are things you have when you feel the need.

We aren't here to be bored with life, as God put things here for us to enjoy. Man made a lot of things afterwards, like music and art, which we can also enjoy. God doesn't want us to get hung up on things, as yes, they aren't things we can take with us but just to pass the time until we go onto that better place. We can always leave our things to others, family, friends or donations to help those without, so again, they aren't junk. Junk is things we don't need. Garbage is what some people hoard.

8 hours ago, simon43 said:

But I can afford them 🙂 .  I have never worn a watch nor bling in my life! My ham radio gear costs about $3,000 USD, so it's not that I can't afford things.  Sure, I don't have the money for the high life, but I simply have zero interest in these things.

Also, you don't need to be wealthy to indulge in philanthropy.  I'm not rich but I buy science school books (in English and Burmese) for young students in Burma at $1 a pop for a 500-page text book that helps the students to understand their science syllabus. $100 goes a long way to help others 🙂

Always wondered if Ham radio was something others still enjoyed. My dad was really into talking with others nightly from home. He actually built his own Ham radio. I remember him talking to someone in Russia once when I was a preteen.

11 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Yes, but is hoarding what you're saying in your post? You refer to what people have as junk. If it's things they really don't need, it should be sold, especially if it's taking up space or out of control, like in hoarding. Yes, we all live and die and can't take anything with us besides memories. What people have as hobbies and interests is what makes those memories. I believe in God, and see this world as a short stop before something better. If this world was perfect, which it's nowhere near, we wouldn't need faith, looking forward to something better, without pain and sickness or loss.

Some people are very rich, and have done things to hurt others or the planet, and they aren't thinking of anything but themselves and what they have, which of course they can't take with them either.

Going back to those hobbies and interests,these are things we like to do which take up much of our time here, so we aren't bored all the time. I have thousands of cd's I can always go to for listening pleasure, as music is one of the biggest things in my life. I have a lot of fishing tackle and guns, along with accessories, which I use to enjoy my two favorite hobbies. It isn't junk, although it means nothing to people who aren't into fishing and hunting. Those people might be artists, who have rooms full of art material. This isn't something I can do because I wasn't gifted with that talent, but I do like looking at art. I like reading daily, and have thousands of magazines and a few books. Some have libraries of thousands of books. Like my cd collection, you can't read more than one book at a time, but it's still not junk, as they are things you have when you feel the need.

We aren't here to be bored with life, as God put things here for us to enjoy. Man made a lot of things afterwards, like music and art, which we can also enjoy. God doesn't want us to get hung up on things, as yes, they aren't things we can take with us but just to pass the time until we go onto that better place. We can always leave our things to others, family, friends or donations to help those without, so again, they aren't junk. Junk is things we don't need. Garbage is what some people hoard.

All different levels from mild to extreme.

20 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

Until he got laughed out of the room, his other go-to was "You're drunk'. It's just more running away.

Everyone's unhappy, or rageful. What a drama queen.

Interesting.

14 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

have thousands of cd's I can always go to for listening pleasure,

What % of them have you listened to once or more than once? What % more than 10 times?

11 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Always wondered if Ham radio was something others still enjoyed. My dad was really into talking with others nightly from home. He actually built his own Ham radio. I remember him talking to someone in Russia once when I was a preteen.

Off-topic, but actually I never verbally talk with other hams because I find them too boring!! I use a digital system a bit like text messaging to contact and exchange small talk, but most of my enjoyment of the hobby is the technical challenge of designing/building antennas to achieve the contact.  It's a weird hobby...

2 minutes ago, susanlea said:

What % of them have you listened to once or more than once? What % more than 10 times?

I couldn't guess percentages. There are some I listen to a lot, and some I've only listened to once, and everything in between. I, like everyone else, has favorites. They are all in alphabetical order of course so I can find one when I want to listen to it.

10 hours ago, susanlea said:

All Buddhist monks dress the same.

Are you suggesting that everyone on the planet should wear the same orange robe?

Or do you appreciate that there is diversity in clothing and do you appreciate it when you see a woman who is clothed beautifully?

Beauty is one of the things that makes the world less miserable. Imagine everyone had ugly clothes on all the time. 

Human beings, for one thing, are attracted to beauty. We are tactile creatures with 5 senses, touch and smell and sight. 

If everything smelled bad, that would suck. If everything was ugly, that would suck.

And clothing is one example. 

And beauty is one reason why material possessions are not bull<deleted>. 

3 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Off-topic, but actually I never verbally talk with other hams because I find them too boring!! I use a digital system a bit like text messaging to contact and exchange small talk, but most of my enjoyment of the hobby is the technical challenge of designing/building antennas to achieve the contact.  It's a weird hobby...

I listened to him talking, and yes, it was just small talk. Where do you live, what's the weather like now, what do you do, etc. He did make an antenna about 30' high for the backyard.

1 minute ago, save the frogs said:

All Buddhist monks dress the same.

Are you suggesting that everyone on the planet should wear the same orange robe?

Or do you appreciate that there is diversity in clothing and do you appreciate it when you see a woman who is clothed beautifully?

Beauty is one of the things that makes the world less miserable. Imagine everyone had ugly clothes on all the time. 

Human beings, for one thing, are attracted to beauty. We are tactile creatures with 5 senses, touch and smell and sight. 

If everything smelled bad, that would suck. If everything was ugly, that would suck.

And clothing is one example. 

And beauty is one reason why material possessions are not bull<deleted>. 

Orange cotton and purple cotton are the same except for dye. Are they not?

Showers and deoderant help with smell. Brushing teeth also.

7 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Orange cotton and purple cotton are the same except for dye. Are they not?

Showers and deoderant help with smell. Brushing teeth also.

I am not a big fan of crass materialism ie people buying things to show that they are wealthier than others.

I have a small handmade laptop stand from India. The wood is beautiful. It's unpretentious. And it supported a small handicraft person in India.

Rolex watch = crass materialism. I would never buy sth like that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Bangkokhatter said:

I wondered where Big Nok AKA Sparktader went.

You can change your name as much as you like but difficult to hide the same inane posting style.

But this is his best version yet and his past selves were authentic at least.  Being a female takes some of the edge off of him.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

I am not a big fan of crass materialism ie people buying things to show that they are wealthier than others.

I have a small handmade laptop stand from India. The wood is beautiful. It's unpretentious. And it supported a small handicraft person in India.

Rolex watch = crass materialism. I would never buy sth like that. 

There are many types of Rolex owners and people that get their kicks creating artistic material things like yourself.  Met some artistic types living a simple life that were extremely judgmental and mean.  Same goes for Rolex owners.  I myself don't own a Rolex because it would bring me no pleasure but to each his own.

28 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

I believe you... not being capable of affording something tends to bring out the green giant which morphs into condemnation

You own several do you? Do they make you feel special?

• Sad 1

No one gets through life without possessions. One man's junk is another man's treasure. I presume you own a computer and a mobile phone. Others might think they are a waste of time and useless. 

Not everyone dies the same either. Some go quickly. Others a long lingering, painful death. I know which I would prefer given the choice. Others are never even here long enough to accumulate what you call junk.

• Agree 1

In the west there is a saying, those with the most toys, win.

Which I assume would mean upon one's death, the amount of material things they've accumulated is an indication of a successful and prosperous life.

• Sad 1