60-day visa exemptions are now unlimited at land borders

27 minutes ago, itsari said:

Quite the opposite from my observations . 

I have come across one or two that have a positive attitude.

Sure some of them are fine  but I genuinely doubt that they are officially  told that  "ensuring  our comfort and safety" is the prime objective' despite what it says on the large vinyl posters with the happy smiling cartoon images of immigration officers

1 minute ago, JensenX said:

Why shouldn't people, where circumstances favour visa-free entries and border runs, take advantage of the new system while it lasts? I seldom leave Thailand, so I prefer the 12-month extension, but I see it as very useful for people who travel a lot.  

Why are you asking me?  I don't make the rules, and I'm all in favour of circumnavigating them if possible, It will no doubt be useful for people who travel a lot , I couldn't care less if  somebody  expects or intends to stay here full time on visa exempt entries , its none of my business, and no skin off my nose, I'm actually  all for it.     but I think they could well be setting  themselves up for a bit of disappointment  

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Sure some of them are fine  but I genuinely doubt that they are officially  told that  "ensuring  our comfort and safety" is the prime objective' despite what it says on the large vinyl posters with the happy smiling cartoon images of immigration officers

An ingrained distrust of foreigners is prominent, yet sometimes one is pleasantly surprised and that keeps me going.

Ok browsed some and Thai examiner (12-07-2024) says the visum is for 60 days and cant be extended, so you must go out for another stamp,

which is then unlimited to do so. So that would be new again, they changed that within 4 days?

On the other hand I do see in https://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand-visa/new-thailand-visa-exemption-and-thailand-visa-on-arrival-schemes

It is possible to extend for 30 days for "a little fee"(?), Siam Legal controlled 18-07. 

Also see in Thai e visa site, you can extend for 30 days for "a little fee"(?) PLUS the officer has to agree. It is up to him.

Only in and out, unlimited, cant find, but Thaiger, however Thaiger is doing the story of Tod. 

Tod Daniels can you tell us where you found that? Appreciated !

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, transam said:

With all the shake ups, it wouldn't surprise me if that came to an end, after all, is just a money earner for a few..........:ninja:

I doubt it, too many depend on it and a lot of money for Immigration 

• Agree 1

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

I doubt it, too many depend on it and a lot of money for Immigration 

Not so sure, the 60 day thing will also be a loss of revenue from drop in extensions..

5 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Thaiger is doing the story

In any case, that information outlet is notorious for getting it wrong. Hold off until it’s posted on a legitimate go.th 

Edited by novacova

36 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Why are you asking me?  I don't make the rules, and I'm all in favour of circumnavigating them if possible, It will no doubt be useful for people who travel a lot , I couldn't care less if  somebody  expects or intends to stay here full time on visa exempt entries , its none of my business, and no skin off my nose, I'm actually  all for it.     but I think they could well be setting  themselves up for a bit of disappointment  

It was a rhetorical question to your snide remark suggesting that someone was dreaming. Most people understand the most basic law of Thai Immigration policy - you can count on it constantly changing.

If you couldn't care less, why bother reading and posting on such a thread? (that's a question). I'm not personally involved as I've been using yearly visa extensions for 15 years, but I know people who will welcome this new policy - but they aren't dreaming that it will last forever.

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Ok browsed some and Thai examiner (12-07-2024) says the visum is for 60 days and cant be extended, so you must go out for another stamp,

which is then unlimited to do so. So that would be new again, they changed that within 4 days?

On the other hand I do see in https://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand-visa/new-thailand-visa-exemption-and-thailand-visa-on-arrival-schemes

It is possible to extend for 30 days for "a little fee"(?), Siam Legal controlled 18-07. 

Also see in Thai e visa site, you can extend for 30 days for "a little fee"(?) PLUS the officer has to agree. It is up to him.

Only in and out, unlimited, cant find, but Thaiger, however Thaiger is doing the story of Tod. 

Tod Daniels can you tell us where you found that? Appreciated !

I can imagine how happy the visa-run companies will be if there is no possibility of an extension.

31 minutes ago, transam said:

Not so sure, the 60 day thing will also be a loss of revenue from drop in extensions..

I'm talking about back handers rather than just 1900 extension money, the staff get the bulk of the 12,500 etc

• Agree 1

Just now, Rob Browder said:

The 2-entry limit was implemented by Gazette - now withdrawn without it?  This is odd. 

You mean, implemented by someone, then printed in the Gazette.....😋

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, bob smith said:

it was like that for a longggggggg time.

I remember when I first arrived you had guys that had been living here for 20/30 years on T visa exemptions and border bounces. It was only in the mid 2010's that they started tightening the screws with this whole good guys in, bad guys out nonsense.

long may the free-for-all continue imo.

bob.

actually it started in mid 2000's with Thaiksin.  limited days (immigration used to count how many days you were in Thailand), overstay changes all of this was started and has been getting tweaked along the way. 

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, transam said:

You mean, implemented by someone, then printed in the Gazette.....😋

I recall it happening at the same time - 15-days to 30-days entry, as part of that "deal" between the hardliners (anti-foreigner) and pro-tourist-income folks. 

Maybe this change will show up in the Gazette soon.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Jack1988 said:

If it's really true that now is possible to do unlimited border run then there is no need that I go to Vientiane to apply for another tourist visa 

Vientiane is still a nice place to visit, but yes, like I say someones, sometimes governments do sensible things. After all, as far as harmlessness, why should there be a necessity for border runs when everyone knows that so many do it repeatedly. Why not make it easier for people to come and stay here and spend their money on things other than "agents"?

• Thanks 1

I hope that is right but a bit premature to go on the word of one person.  We all know how hit and miss Immigrations are. tomorrow you could go and  they say you can't do any land border runs on the new 60 day waiver and i actually heard that is the case.   now a lot of countries will be given 60 days they won't allow border runs.   it changes like the wind.  Need a lot more time to pass to know this is definitely the case.   

2 hours ago, bob smith said:

when the baht inevitably collapses, this place will become like pleasure island again.

doors wide open, anything goes..

i've seen it before and I hope to see it again.

bob.

"When the baht inevitably collapses" been hearing that for about 10 years now for gods sake

I wouldn't even bet on the 60 day waiver still being here come high season with their flip flopping. Still believe they have probably only introduced that to get tourists numbers up during low season.   let alone saying border land runs will be unlimited 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atpeace said:

But you have to leave the country every 60 days and go through immigration.  A few hours a year to get  a non-o vs at least 30 hours in travel and misc each year.  Also the hassle to have to organize your life around a 60 day visa. 

People complain about a few minute process of online 90 day reporting but this is insanely difficult.  Great option if you don't have the funds for a non-o, travel a lot, and don't mind the big  hassle.

For people like me (under 50) the unlimited 60 day exemptions are an easy solution to stay permanently in the country. I did the border bounces constantly in the 2000s, sometimes flying in/out of the country every 30 days because I didn't know better (didn't consider ED visa or any other visa agent route), even in the days of 14 days stamps. At the end I just overstayed on year per year basis because nobody cared anyway.

Edited by AreYouGerman

Despite having a retirement visa I alway thought the limit of two land crossings was ridiculous.   

It provided plenty of work for drivers and agents alike. 

I think the retarded idea started when that hyperbole character "Big Joke" started one of his early stints in immigration.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, JensenX said:

It was a rhetorical question to your snide remark suggesting that someone was dreaming. Most people understand the most basic law of Thai Immigration policy - you can count on it constantly changing.

If you couldn't care less, why bother reading and posting on such a thread? (that's a question). I'm not personally involved as I've been using yearly visa extensions for 15 years, but I know people who will welcome this new policy - but they aren't dreaming that it will last forever.

What are you talking about ?    There was no "snide remark" I was simply emphasising how unlikely I think it will be that back to back visa exempt entries will be tolerated as a way to live here permanently, married or not, to somebody who seemed to have already decided it was a viable option 

Contrary to what you think many people seem to  have great difficulty understanding the most basic aspects of immigration policy , one only has to skip through this forum to confirm that however that has nothing to do with my post,

I was replying to another member who seemed to be deciding not to maintain his 12  month extensions, based on this article , In my opinion its a bit premature to consider  trying to  stay here permanently using back to back visa exempts as an alternative to a marriage or retirement extension

When I said "I couldn't care less" I was stating my attitude towards other peoples visa arrangements, which are nobody's business but their own , There are others on here who feel differently    (There's your answer ok?  )

I also  don't really  care how long you've been here on extensions, or how many people you know who will welcome this new policy, seriously I really don't understand why you bothered quoting me other than the fact that you got upset by what you mistakenly considered was a "snide remark" and even though it wasn't directed at you , your sensitivities were triggered and you" just had  to" say something, from behind the safety of your keyboard of course

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Toby1947 said:

You'll still need an onward ticket to show airline before being allowed to board. Showing your intention of leaving Thailand within 60 days 

That was my first concern. Where did you read this? Thanks.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Toby1947 said:

You'll still need an onward ticket to show airline before being allowed to board. Showing your intention of leaving Thailand within 60 days 

That requirement for online visa applications is a real pain, having to show a return flight within 60 or even 90 days even when extensions are available and one intends staying longer invariably involves changing flights which can be quite costly    I try to mitigate such costs by purchasing a std outbound ticket and a flexible return ticket , but some / most  airlines will happily sell you the more expensive flexible ticket , but a check of the terms and conditions will often reveal a well hidden clause that the restrictions attached to the most restrictive ticket will apply to the entire booking  Qatar and Emirates passengers take note !             Last time I checked Etihad were the only airline not operating the scam  

I've never been asked by an airline to show proof of a visa or an onward flight but i was once asked if I had visa no need to show it  

8 minutes ago, dcalaska said:

That was my first concern. Where did you read this? Thanks.

13 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

Okay people listen up.

This isn't about flying in, and you can/will get grilled if you're milking free stamp to live here.

This is about the fact that the prettiest rule, exacted Jan 1, 2017 that limited visa exempt entries by land to 2 in a calendar year does not apply to this new 60 day Visa exempt entry program.

There is no longer a limit of 2 visa exempt entries by land

Because 1 person got it from 1 particular immigration officer?

Show the link to the law.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1