How do you feel about this?

17 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

Yes, they don't trust their customers and with good reason:  some are shoplifters.  The profit margin at stores like Makro is very thin, certainly under 5%  and possible as low as 1 or 2%.  Stolen items can erase all profit.  If a store gets the reputation of being "easy" to steal from,  shoplifters will flock there.

Checking receipts is a relatively easy way to dIscourage  thieves.  It doesn't bother me at all.

I think some people are over sensitive souls and look for offence when a simple... 'sure, go ahead take a look'.....  is the normal response. 

AND... as far as Makro is concerned - If I'm not mistaken, this is something they used to do in Makro in the UK back in the 80's...  (check the receipt), so it could simply be a legacy of their global policy.

BUT... at some of you easily butt-hurt guys..... don't let any of that get in the way of feeling outraged....   But, save some of that outrage for an LGBQT issue thats sure to crop up later on... don't use all your energy on something so inert as this....   

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

Doesn't bother me.

Me neither, in fact as I usually do large shopping at Makro, I find it interesting to watch them go through the ticket at then your trolley, in a 10-15 second time frame. I guess you could call it a skill…

16 hours ago, CallumWK said:

There are a few large shops here, I'm sure you all know which ones I have in mind, where you pay for your purchase, then right after the checkout there is someone who want to see your receipt and compare with everything you purchased.

So either they don't trust their cashier, or they consider their customers to be thieves. I think it is the latter, and I hate it to be treated like a thief. I then also will only visit those particular shops if I have no other choice, like they have a product I can't get anywhere else

I always tell them, check your cashier if you don't trust her, not your customers. Once, I even have gone to the extent that I returned my whole trolley for a refund, so at that point they were 100% sure that I had paid for everything.

So what is your feeling about this. Are you also annoyed by it?

No, it happens very rarely (twice in my 20 years of being here) and they don't even check thoroughly, just a cursory look to show they are earning their wages, 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CallumWK said:

There are no self check outs in Thailand, so I guess you are even not here. And of course it is the cashiers job to scan everything in your trolley.

You need to get yourself to a Tops Market, several in each store. 

To answer our OP, it doesn't bother me in the slightest, it's hardly delaying me going out into the heat.

It also means I can interact, even if briefly, with a pretty lady. 

There was a similar post a while back questioning the practice. One member noted that the checker had found that the chuckout lady had double scanned an item so he was charged for two and only had one. Error corrected at Customer Service.

I must admit that the check seems so cursory that I can't really imagine them finding anything unless you have a TV in there that's not on the receipt (or one on the receipt that isn't in the basket).

• Thumbs Up 1

In my area Makro have always done this, but they do check thoroughly, easy i guess when the items are in a cart.

Whereas, my local Lotus’s started doing the same bought items check maybe a year ago, they rarely look in the bag and just look at the receipt and stamp it when happy ( with their x-Ray vision ? ). Ironically there’s two entry/exits and they only check at one.

But it doesn’t annoy me in the slightest.

Oh, and yes my local Tops have self checkouts if no one has mentioned already 🤭.

Does not bother me one bit.

Some markets in Australia too do this.

Shop lifting is a curse today all over the world - nothing wrong with the shops taking measures against it.

I suspect they could have problems with the big trolleys stacked up but they cant be seen to signal those out only so implement the check across the board, doesn't bother me in the slightest it is what it is.

There is a Muslim girl in Go Wholesale who checks the receipts at the door, I always greet her in Arabic and she reciprocates also in Arabic, I think she is pleased to practice her Arabic. 🙂

17 hours ago, CallumWK said:

There are no self check outs in Thailand, so I guess you are even not here. And of course it is the cashiers job to scan everything in your trolley.

Self checkouts at TOPS in Ramkhamheang as well.

I too find it terribly annoying and insulting, but the thing that irritates me most is that I can't think of any logical explanation for why they even have such protocols. One might say that it's just a way to keep honest people honest, but the truth is that the only way out of the store is through a cashier who has just scanned every item in the basket less than 10 meters from the checker. There's absolutely no way to shoplift. It all makes no sense. 

1 minute ago, cdemundo said:

Self checkouts at TOPS in Ramkhamheang as well.

Congratulations, you are the probably tenth person to remind me of what I acknowledged less than 5 minutes after my comment, when it was kindly pointed out to me by @Tropicalevo , and which post should have been easily visible to you together with the one you replied to.

• Sad 2

18 hours ago, CallumWK said:

then right after the checkout there is someone who want to see your receipt and compare with everything you purchased.

That could be a problem in my local Australian supermarket because receipts are optional and the cashier usually asks if I want one. There is a big black security guard before the exit but he never asks to see anything. He probably just watches to make sure people are using the cashiers or self-checkouts before leaving. He even smiles at customers as they leave. Nice guy.

1 hour ago, CallumWK said:

Congratulations, you are the probably tenth person to remind me of what I acknowledged less than 5 minutes after my comment, when it was kindly pointed out to me by @Tropicalevo , and which post should have been easily visible to you together with the one you replied to.

I'm really surprised that this bugs you.

I mean you don't really seem like someone who lets little things bother him.

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, CallumWK said:

There are a few large shops here, I'm sure you all know which ones I have in mind, where you pay for your purchase, then right after the checkout there is someone who want to see your receipt and compare with everything you purchased.

So either they don't trust their cashier, or they consider their customers to be thieves. I think it is the latter, and I hate it to be treated like a thief. I then also will only visit those particular shops if I have no other choice, like they have a product I can't get anywhere else

I always tell them, check your cashier if you don't trust her, not your customers. Once, I even have gone to the extent that I returned my whole trolley for a refund, so at that point they were 100% sure that I had paid for everything.

Not annoyed. Doesn't bother me.

19 hours ago, CallumWK said:

No – and they also check that you have not been double-charged by mistake, for example scanning same item twice...:thumbsup:

20 hours ago, CallumWK said:

Nothing wrong with what they doing - it only takes a few seconds and the practice applies to all.

In fact I have read somewhere that they are checking that products in the trolley equate with the bill, not to check for customer thieves, but that the Cashier hasn't missed an item with the bar coder,which means this is not a trust factor at all!

20 hours ago, CallumWK said:

So what is your feeling about this

I think "you think too mutt"

yes its silly but the "inspection" is cursory...they also don't pack goods into bags, you have to show membership card ,they won't except many debit credit cards...after all they are supposed to be a wholesale outlet for business customers not retail for the everyday walk in from the street "pleb"