Burning rubbish.

overherebc

Good. Fly-tipping and burning seems to be a little cottage industry here. Even on housing estates where they have comprehensive rubbish collection and disposal, there is always some douchebag that would rather go and just dump it over the nearest wall. Or set fire to it, and let his neighbours get the benefit of the resulting toxic smoke.

Fines are a good idea.

11 minutes ago, huangnon said:

Good. Fly-tipping and burning seems to be a little cottage industry here. Even on housing estates where they have comprehensive rubbish collection and disposal, there is always some douchebag that would rather go and just dump it over the nearest wall. Or set fire to it, and let his neighbours get the benefit of the resulting toxic smoke.

Fines are a good idea.

It seems a couple of the local police are quite willing to respond to calls from anyone who complains by phone.

This certainly used to be an issue in this part of the world (between Ban Phe and Klaeng), but the introduction of a refuse collection service by our amphur a few years ago seems, fortunately, to have generally had the effect of clipping pyromanic wings.

Next in line to be threatened with 10,000 THB fines in my view should definitely be those who let their mutts roam free at all hours of the day and night, barking and howling incessantly.

5 hours ago, OJAS said:

This certainly used to be an issue in this part of the world (between Ban Phe and Klaeng), but the introduction of a refuse collection service by our amphur a few years ago seems, fortunately, to have generally had the effect of clipping pyromanic wings.

Next in line to be threatened with 10,000 THB fines in my view should definitely be those who let their mutts roam free at all hours of the day and night, barking and howling incessantly.

I've seen people who have the big blue bins provided right outside their front gate burning household rubbish just inside their gate because they are either two lazy to walk another 2 metres with or they are too dumb to think about it.

Also some real dumb expats who for some reason excuse it by saying my wife's family always did it so it's normal. Those are the guys that should be fined 20,000 baht. 10,000 for doing it and 10,000 for being dumb sh-ts.

We drive into town most days so have the opportunity to (legally) leave our rubbish there, mostly plastic. However neighbours that have no car have little choice, they burn.

Even if we do get a rubbish collection organised in the village as promised, I'm sure that people coming out of the eatery next door will still dump their plastic bags in front of our entrance after walking 5 metres. I have seen school buses stopping so that rubbish can be tossed out into a ditch. This is terrible, getting worse than the UK.

17 hours ago, overherebc said:

Also some real dumb expats who for some reason excuse it by saying my wife's family always did it so it's normal. Those are the guys that should be fined 20,000 baht. 10,000 for doing it and 10,000 for being dumb sh-ts.

Fortunately, expats - dumb or otherwise - are very much thin on the ground in my neck of the woods.:smile:

Unfortunately, dogs who regularly keep us awake with their seemingly incessant barking and howling most definitely are not.:annoyed:

• 4 months later...
On 2/20/2017 at 11:29 AM, huangnon said:

Fines are a good idea.

Yes, even the official garbage trucks dumps waste they don't want at the roadside.

On 2/20/2017 at 3:05 AM, OJAS said:

love those blue bins, really helps keeping things clean around here. There still are the lazy ones that still leave it wherever they are

On 2/20/2017 at 11:29 AM, huangnon said:

Fines are a good idea.

Fine fines most definitely would be. Farcical Thai-style ones - waste of time.

47 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

In the Banchang area is there an official site where you can take a bulk load of garden refuse? 

Get a 40 gal oil drum fill with garden waste put a grill on top. Light it and put two hot dogs on top. If anyone asks, its a barbecue 

3 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Get a 40 gal oil drum fill with garden waste put a grill on top. Light it and put two hot dogs on top. If anyone asks, its a barbecue 

Even better put a few wild possibly rabid soi dogs on and call it a public service.

In all honesty an oil drum with air holes in the sides wil probably burn thing faster with much less smoke than a pile on the ground that smoulders for hours kicking off all the smoke.

Edited by overherebc

On 2017-6-24 at 10:42 AM, Eff1n2ret said:

In the Banchang area is there an official site where you can take a bulk load of garden refuse? 

Sorry to inform that the one area that was being used is now fenced off.

We just fill black bags and drive around the area with the pick up and put them in the blue bins where we can.

Edited by overherebc

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Sorry to inform that the one area that was being used is now fenced off.

We just fill black bags and drive around the area with the pick up and put them in the blue bins where we can.

Yes, there was a place at the back of the amphur at Payoon, near a football pitch, where the council lorries used to dump green waste, and we were told it was ok to take ours there - but it was fenced off some time ago. I've told the missis I'm not prepared to dump it in the lanes and suggested that she ask the bin men again if there's somewhere else. However, she just lets it pile up and when her son comes to visit she makes him take it away, doubtless it's dumped at the side of a road somewhere.

I do shred and compost some of it along with kitchen waste, but have limited capacity for that, and palm leaves in particular are a devil to shred because they have long stringy fibres which jam up the shredder.

I would willingly pay if there was an official site.

• 2 weeks later...

For once I am able to answer my own question. For the benefit of anyone who needs it, there is a site where you can dump bulk rubbish with a clear conscience.

If you go down the Payoon road from Banchang, turn right at the Nara Villas/Anabanrakpasa School junction and then first right again within 50 metres, wind through a small village and going up an incline there is an overgrown pond on the left. You can dump there. It's mostly green waste, but there is the odd settee and bits of builder's rubble. I understand that the owners want to fill in the pond.

1 hour ago, Eff1n2ret said:

For once I am able to answer my own question. For the benefit of anyone who needs it, there is a site where you can dump bulk rubbish with a clear conscience.

If you go down the Payoon road from Banchang, turn right at the Nara Villas/Anabanrakpasa School junction and then first right again within 50 metres, wind through a small village and going up an incline there is an overgrown pond on the left. You can dump there. It's mostly green waste, but there is the odd settee and bits of builder's rubble. I understand that the owners want to fill in the pond.

This is good to know, thanks!!