U-turn collision leaves Phuket motorist seriously injured

webfact

U-turn collision leaves Phuket motorist seriously injured

Eakkapop Thongtub

1504156481_1-org.jpg

The driver of the pickup truck sustained serious injuries. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- The driver of a pickup truck sustained serious injuries last night after colliding with a van when making a U-turn on Thepkrassattri Rd in Srisoonthorn.

Thalang Police received a report report of an accident near the Thalang Provincial Electric Authority (PEA) office on Thepkrassatri Rd (southbound) at 11:05pm yesterday (Aug 30).

Capt Natthee Pichitchainitimet of the Thalang Police arrived at the scene together with Srisoonthorn rescue workers to find a silver Volkswagen van in the middle of the road with its front badly damaged and a black Isuzu pickup truck with damage to its left side.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/u-turn-collision-leaves-phuket-motorist-seriously-injured-63690.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-08-31

19 minutes ago, webfact said:

11:05pm

Lots of room for speculation.

Defect headlights.

One or both drunk.

Van speeding like mad.

Select your choice.

This statement from the van drives is either lost in translation or a wrong gone joke.

When I arrived at the U-turn the black Isuzu pickup, which was travelling north, was taking a U-turn and crashed into my vehicle.

23 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

new roads being built in Thailand with more of these asinine U-turns that will be killing people for years to come.

Thailand 4.0

Frightening enough in the daytime.

Russian roulette in the night (do they have working headlights, can I estimate their speed just from the lights).

Poor things just haven't learned how to use u-turns. :sad:

Which is amazing as there's so many of them! 

Perhaps a society that is largely self-centered, has trouble with foresight and the concept of cause and effect, low intelligence, and learning difficulties are a major part of the problem. 

Edited by DLang

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Lots of room for speculation.

Defect headlights.

One or both drunk.

Van speeding like mad.

Select your choice.

This statement from the van drives is either lost in translation or a wrong gone joke.

Could we select them all ? :unsure:

Apologies in advance - this IS a Thai Bash... 

In a society which so obviously lacks spatial awareness and basic observation skills observed in other countries it astounds me that U-Turns have not been abolished. 

One of the major reasons for the high accident rates in Thailand is the galactically idiotic road design in many areas.... Basic common sense can identify danger spots and readily correct them before accidents occur rather than later. However, I have plenty of Thai friends and they all have a great deal of common sense, which only lends me to the conclusion that those in positions of decision making power to make these adjustments, improve road design and make the roads safer simply do not care one little bit.... 

In its simplest terms; as a nation Thailands apathy kills in scores... 

Edited by richard_smith237

These types of events show the van driver in an advanced design vehicle in an almost head on is minimal injury so wearing seatbelt and airbags deployed.  

Barring speed as the cause the responsibility rests with the pickup driver.

The comments regarding road design are spot on, these things are killers

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

When I arrived at the U-turn the black Isuzu pickup, which was travelling north, was taking a U-turn and crashed into my vehicle.

makes perfect social sense; thais cannot accept blame or responsibility; to do so would be to lose face

I vote for all U-turn points to be replaced with roundabouts...

one it slows down the traffic on the main roads to a reasonable speed

secondly it provides a safe way to turn off or turn around to go in the opposite direction..

U-turns are just an opportunity for an accident to happen!

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

I vote for all U-turn points to be replaced with roundabouts...

one it slows down the traffic on the main roads to a reasonable speed

secondly it provides a safe way to turn off or turn around to go in the opposite direction..

U-turns are just an opportunity for an accident to happen!

Look what they did with the Heroines roundabout. Fenced off the roundabout. Now all traffic has to make u-turns further down this very very busy and fast road. And think how many bad traffic accidents are reported along this road.

37 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Look what they did with the Heroines roundabout. Fenced off the roundabout. Now all traffic has to make u-turns further down this very very busy and fast road. And think how many bad traffic accidents are reported along this road.

Good that they fence it off in the main traffic times. Too much traffic for this roundabout that it can't work more.

Roundabouts no solution for roads like this.

Have to get traffic off the roads by heavy taxes and initate new free solutions with this taxes.

11 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

That U turn is relatively safe as oncoming traffic is directed off to the left.

21 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

+1

And a few years ago prior to that traffic used to run/flow with no probs around the monument round-a-bout until near rush hour where the BiBs would then go on point duty and cause mayhem lol... Road safety really does appear to be non exsistant in this country and no one seems to be really that bothered about changing things for the better?

9 hours ago, Valentine said:

Be honest Val .... just a few cones and yellow paint on the road does not make it very safe given the many mad men driving at full tilt oblivious to lane control. I would not think about making a u-turn unless at a trafic light controlled junction. Even then there will be the odd crazies runnung the red light. 

On 8/31/2017 at 2:07 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Apologies in advance - this IS a Thai Bash... 

In a society which so obviously lacks spatial awareness and basic observation skills observed in other countries it astounds me that U-Turns have not been abolished. 

One of the major reasons for the high accident rates in Thailand is the galactically idiotic road design in many areas.... Basic common sense can identify danger spots and readily correct them before accidents occur rather than later. However, I have plenty of Thai friends and they all have a great deal of common sense, which only lends me to the conclusion that those in positions of decision making power to make these adjustments, improve road design and make the roads safer simply do not care one little bit.... 

In its simplest terms; as a nation Thailands apathy kills in scores... 

No it is not Thai bashing, it is a lack of common sense in LOS....ALL drivers have eyes, a brake pedal and a go pedal.... Nobody knows how to use them, or read the road ahead...Nothing, that's why the road stuff here is crap...Nobody cares, nobody uses their head because they don't give a stuff about anyone else...

• 2 weeks later...
On 1.9.2017 at 6:16 AM, Valentine said:

It is, in theory. If only the U-turner would not be too lazy to take a sharp turn instead of using the other lanes... Come on, it is not too difficult in the age of power steering. Probably the same problem like changing gears, which will use up your gearbox.

5 minutes ago, hkt83100 said:

It is, in theory. If only the U-turner would not be too lazy to take a sharp turn instead of using the other lanes... Come on, it is not too difficult in the age of power steering. Probably the same problem like changing gears, which will use up your gearbox.

Doesn't work. Making a U-turn on viset road I need both lanes plus the parking/motorbike lane. That is with an average size pickup. So any parked cars and I need to backup, the new 'no parking' roadmarks on viset are there for a reason.

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Roundabouts are no solution for people not intelligent enough to know how to use them!!

Sure. But too much traffic going north/south constantly killing the function of a roundabout. West/south traffic has no chance to use the roundabout in the peak traffic hours.

35 minutes ago, schlog said:

Sure. But too much traffic going north/south constantly killing the function of a roundabout. West/south traffic has no chance to use the roundabout in the peak traffic hours.

I enjoy your posts schlog, however have to disagree with you on this point because large roundabouts are used on busy roads all across Europe and other countries and function reasonably well.

What kills the function of the roundabout here is the fact that those going north to south (or vice versa) clog up the roundabout by staying on it when the traffic is not moving rather than waiting their turn if the vehicle on the far side the roundabout has come to a standstill, thereby allowing, for example, east-west traffic to move.

They drive onto the roundabout and become stationary there, so stopping other traffic moving. A little driver education would help, but then we know that this is damn near impossible here..........using the words driver, education and common-sense in any one sentence here becomes a bit of an oxymoron.