Ford begins pickup production in Rayong

Ford begins pickup production in Rayong

By The Nation

f01b90f0546621128fba869dc9a0f860.jpeg

Ford has officially started production of the Ranger Raptor truck at its Ford Thailand Manufacturing factory in Rayong.

Ford's first high-speed, off-road performance truck built in Asia-Pacific was revealed at the 2018 Bangkok Motor Show in March where Ford began taking customer orders. 

Deliveries are scheduled to start in August. Combining tough character and capability, the Ranger Raptor “is truly the ultimate Ranger. With its bold appearance and extreme, off-road performance features, it represents a new and distinctive breed of truck”, said Yukontorn Wisadkosin, president of Ford Asean.

The Ranger Raptor has a 2-litre, bi-turbo diesel engine, 10-speed transmission to deliver 213PS (157kW) of power and 500Nm of torque. 

Built with increased ride height and a wider track, it includes standard front and rear Fox shock absorbers to improve ride and handling. It has a terrain management system and Watt’s linkage rear suspension with coilover rear springs for rear axle lateral stability when travelling at high speeds off-road.

The steering wheel has a magnesium paddle shifter and the vehicle has underbody protection to deflect off-road obstacles. 

The new bash plate 2.3mm thick, high-strength steel.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30349385

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-7-5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 1337markus said:

Will they crash as regularly once Thais drive it?

Factory in Rayong, right next to the shipping docks?  I'd expect most everyone built to be exported to some dumb ass nation willing to accept 'fare' trade.

Looks a nice vehicle, if you are into trucks, but 1.69 million !!  Nearly 40,000 GBP for a truck !! and that's in a country with low labour production costs and a low VAT rate.

Edited by Henryford
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Henryford said:

Looks a nice vehicle, if you are into trucks, but 1.69 million !!  Nearly 40,000 GBP for a truck !! and that's in a country with low labour production costs and a low VAT rate.

It will be.about 63K dollars in Australia....there were about 1000 orders taken at the motor show in bkk this year. I expect a long wait to get one. 

• Thanks 1

my motorcycle puts out 216hp and 173nm with no bisexual turbos. thats an embarassing comparrison for a several ton truck engine...? i think "high speed" will be a thumb twidling venture just like all the other around 200hp pickups. somewhere around the 0-100 in 13+ sec...

It will sell well to all the wanabee race car drivers tho that dont care for handling, pollution and actual 4x4..

nah ill stick with my trusty revo that i thrash all day trying to get more than it can give. money could be well spent elsewhere. 

56 minutes ago, bsdthai said:

my motorcycle puts out 216hp and 173nm with no bisexual turbos. thats an embarassing comparrison for a several ton truck engine...? i think "high speed" will be a thumb twidling venture just like all the other around 200hp pickups. somewhere around the 0-100 in 13+ sec...

It will sell well to all the wanabee race car drivers tho that dont care for handling, pollution and actual 4x4..

nah ill stick with my trusty revo that i thrash all day trying to get more than it can give. money could be well spent elsewhere. 

I dont think the Ford recearch dept will be too embarassed over your 173Nm observation but I would call them anyway just in case they missed something and line you up for a huge thanks bonus.  

5 hours ago, heybuz said:

The engine capacity is getting smaller and smaller. As the saying goes there's no substitute for cubic inches.

It's an old saying though. Since casting and gasket improvements, turbos and bullet-proof components they are getting huge horsepower and reliability. I have owned a lot of big blocks, 390, 427, 428 fords, 383 and 440 chrysler and 454 chev and none of them could compete with the new mustang for instance. My 427 cougar was a fast car in it's day 13.2 seconds at 107 mph on a quarter mile drag strip. New cars are much faster.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, ramrod711 said:

It's an old saying though. Since casting and gasket improvements, turbos and bullet-proof components they are getting huge horsepower and reliability. I have owned a lot of big blocks, 390, 427, 428 fords, 383 and 440 chrysler and 454 chev and none of them could compete with the new mustang for instance. My 427 cougar was a fast car in it's day 13.2 seconds at 107 mph on a quarter mile drag strip. New cars are much faster.

A 1.5 turbo honda civic with a remap and bolt-ons can do close to 14 sec quarter-mile with its cvt and 0-100 in about 6.4 seconds. Motors and technology have come a long way. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bsdthai said:

I'll stick my neck out and will say the raptor should run about 10 seconds 0-100. Even the fortuner 2.8 does it in about 12-12.5. It ain't no race car. It will shine off road, and most Thais will never ever extend it to its limits suspension wise - the raptor was shown in Australia to cover rough ground at almost twice the speed of the stock 3.2 (80 km/h vs 140 km/h, or something like that). The new everest with this motor would be a more sensible buy. 

Edited by DavisH