CONFIRMED: Alcohol sales banned until further notice, some businesses allowed to reopen

webfact

5 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:
32 minutes ago, dukeandduke said:

I'm no expert on this.  Any reason they would be unloading a truck of beverages, 90% of them beers, into a 7-11 this evening?

Where? 

Did you actually see this live just now?

If this is actually happening, there might be a surprise temporary 'lifting' just like how they shut it down with a 2 hour surprise 20 days ago

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ketyo said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the alcohol ban is the cause of social disturbances in future. It will be the root cause of Prayut's demise.

I strongly agree with you. This poor decision will cost them losing power. They've upset too many people.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Finding things like interesting hobbies in Thailand is not that easy. F.ex. I like to restore classic cars and they completely destroyed any possibility of that with the ban on importing them. Only thing that seems to be happening is making robots.

Many people seem to have drinking and mongering as their main hobbies, unless they are already sedate octogenarians that'll play chess against themself.

I am buying a new rc sailboat , nice! just what wanted and hand crafted in Germany 

what dont want is 22% import tax .. they don't make it easy

Rather interesting! Domestic affairs (within Thailand), are usually the responsibility of the police on behalf of the Ministry of Interior - so the mind boggled further when I saw, that this time the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Deputy Spokesperson Natapanu Nopakun, broke the news.

Maybe someone explains this government, what those ministries are here for and who should say/do what. It would also help to put professionals as ministers - the "dirty farang" wacko has never spent five minutes on a medical study, lest forget a degree ........

The only professional ministry might be the Ministry of Inactive Posts, but I could be wrong there again ...

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, LeamchabangLarry said:

Did you actually see this live just now?

If this is actually happening, there might be a surprise temporary 'lifting' just like how they shut it down with a 2 hour surprise 20 days ago

These were taken at about 8pm this evening.  They were stocking, not selling.

The government likes to shot its self in the foot ,they have lost billions of baht with no lottery tickets on sale ,and how much will they now lose in lost alcohol tax ,and how will they claw all that all back .

I can see a 5 baht increase in fuel prices ,mainly on gasohol ,first time I have known petrol/gasohol cheaper than diesel. 

6 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Can you imagine buying great tasting California wine in Thailand for 82B a bottle?

No! not even letting my imagination run wild I couldn't, 30 odd years ago a reasonable bottle was ~ around 350 Baht ???? 

6 hours ago, riclag said:

Right on the very day it was decided that the population here of 69 million with no death's from covid, as of yesterday , can't buy alcohol until further notice!

Whats goin on!

Democracy , Thai style .

Aka , Military rules ..

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1

According to Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, who seems to be the government's point man on the virus, the booze ban will last at least until 31st of May. You'll need to tighten your belts, guys, with all the weight you're going to lose not drinking any beer or wine for six weeks. 

7 minutes ago, LeamchabangLarry said:
10 minutes ago, dukeandduke said:

These were taken at about 8pm this evening.  They were stocking, not selling.

as I understood the ban, it was also illegal to stock alcohol, but hey, I ain't no martial law scholar

Not sure about stocking, but transporting alcohol was specified in the ban

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dukeandduke said:

My people on the ground took these at the Sukhumvit Soi 79 location.

20200430_200639.jpg

20200430_200602.jpg

So close, yet so far...all that lovely booze will have an A4 sheet in front of it telling us all in bad English that it's not for sale. And we can't even leave the damned country either. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CGW said:

The people that put this "government" into power are the same people who own the breweries, the mega rich yellow families! there is no way this "government" would dare to stand up them in this way!

If there was even the slightest truth in your claim, then there would be no alcohol ban

4 minutes ago, Guderian said:

According to Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, who seems to be the government's point man on the virus, the booze ban will last at least until 31st of May. You'll need to tighten your belts, guys, with all the weight you're going to lose not drinking any beer or wine for six weeks. 

Somehow, i can foresee a spike in the sales of fruit juice, sugar and yeast :whistling:

• Like 2

Wow 36 pages.   A hot topic.  I wonder how many expats would leave Thailand if this ban was permanent?  I read that mom amd pop stores still sold alcohol?   Was there still product shipping?  Wasnt there a big fine or jail time?  I'm sure all brew pots are now being filled with mash and stills  will be going full steam 

Edited by Elkski