Brit dad stuck in Thailand with cancer needs £88,000 a year to continue fight in the UK

webfact

6 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

I have force myself to make abstraction of his tattoos, so that I can feel sympathetic.

Guess I am living in some parallel world, sorry.

Vey sorry for him, but have to agree with you re tattoos.....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, internationalism said:

I think not any 4 stage cancer is treated anymore, as it's too late, medicines or operation won't work. 

Only experimental treatments, a guinea pig, if any doctor takes him on, with a few months extension of life. Or organised medical studies on new drugs. 

He is lucky to have those treatments and very lucky to be still alive. Maybe misdiagnosis.

And there are no wonder drugs for any medical condition, but there are medical miracles - he already had one.

Read the link, he's had the all clear!

6 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

Poor guy. But he has not been forced to stay in Thailand. There have been many flights in and out since last March and I have many friends that have flown both ways.

If he goes back his travel insurance won't cover his treatment and nor does the NHS.

Anyways it sounds a bit like spending a fortune trying to keep a broken car running that should've been written off years ago. 88,000 pounds could save a lot more lives other ways.

• Like 2

Sorry, maybe harsh, but maybe consider it is the end and face it.

What would i do? Now thinking i would end it, but would i do if im there at that point? 

Like, said, palliative care and go to sleep. It is only the moment to it, but in it, you dont know anymore.

12 chemo's ?! , wow, also not so nice.

Extending life 4 years ? In agony, why? As it will be, no matter what.

I remember a college of mine, had colony cancer, they took it out , had stoma.

He was diagnosed clear of cancer at one point. Then it came back, very hard, very quick and died.

28 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I didn't read anywhere in the post that he is receiving "life saving" cancer treatment and medication in Thailand, just 12 rounds of chemo and that Medics have given him only months to live.

You didn't read that, either.  Doctors in Thailand gave him months to live, past tense, before his successful treatment, not "have given him months to live"

You didn't read this, either?...

"I am responding well to this treatment and now have had the all clear on my scans so I'm free to go home".

7 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Seems like a decent guy, but might be more realistic to sort his will out than chase more fantasy treatments. 

...still has his hair..wears his oxygen tube under his chin..faking sleep...hmm!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:

It would seem that Steve Jobs refused some treatment that his doctors had recommended, which would have given him a better chance?!

Yes, he dived down the rabbit hole of "alternative treatments". By the time he figured out that it was quackery and wanted to go back to standard treatments, the doctors said that it was too late.

• Thanks 1

People, People People.....

You need to understand this poor man's immediate needs are way down the list of UK priorities.

The Welfare Bill was £192.4 Billion last year,an increase of over £8 Billion from the previous year.

The Workshy, Criminals, Drug Addicts,Foreign Aid and Illegal immigrants... Must be accommodated/funded before the genuinely needy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

He could have put on a shirt on for the photo and opened his eyes. 

It makes for better effect him lying like that, makes him look more pitiful, than if he had a shirt on, and sitting up eyes open

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, simon43 said:

My (non-medical) knowledge of pancreatic cancer is that at stage 4, it is usually going to be 'lights out' pretty soon....

But his predicament does raise an interesting question.  He has medical insurance, which covers his medical bills when outside the UK, and his insurance company has been footing the medical costs.  But usually, such 'expat' insurance policies stop providing cover when you return to your home country, and he is now well enough to return to the UK.  If his Thai doctors said that he wasn't well enough to travel back to the UK, then presumably his insurance company would still pay his bills...

I have an expat policy which provides $1 million cover, but only when I'm outside the UK.  If I return to the country that I left 20+ years ago, (or I'm medivaced back to the UK), my insurance cover stops and I join the NHS queue.

My question is why he was stopped from leaving and flying home to UK ... I had to and did it ... Where is his family? 

6 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

I have force myself to make abstraction of his tattoos, so that I can feel sympathetic.

Guess I am living in some parallel world, sorry.

You have no integrity, respect, or class.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

He's got the Thai tattoos........i say make him an honorary citizen.

always wondered how those tats look when you get older.  

the world has cash.  hopefully he gets some.

this 88k pounds a year......on average, how many years are we talking?

i've never met a falang in thailand that i thought would give me money if i was down and out...

prove me wrong TVF.....quit posting and start giving!!!!!  lol

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He's not dying, he's had the all clear!   Read the link.

I read it and I don't believe all of it and newspaper and online reporting over here many times can get lost in translation .

The treatment might be holding it at bay at the very best and stopping it spreading, pancreatic cancer is up there with the worst types and it is well known that by the time you know you have got it, it is already too late.