Thailand reports new daily record of 9,276 COVID-19 cases, 72 more deaths

webfact

14 minutes ago, anchadian said:

BREAKING: Thai Air Asia has temporarily suspended flights on all of their domestic routes from 10th July to 31st July 2021. They plan to resume operations from 1st August 2021. The airline will contact all of their passengers #ThaiNewsReports #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1413464398610386947

Like the last time. Interesting that they are going three wks and the empty heads are going two weeks. Doesn't matter. 2 or 3 wks from now will be worse.

Folks I just posted "I would not be suprised to find out tomorrow there is an alcohol ban." That's what happened last year in the big lockdown. Zero warning. The flights stuff makes me even more concerned.

27 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

the government are realising the damage to the economy and at present see the motor and electronics industries as the way out. It's going to be very difficult for tourism to revive with Civid on the increase and a poorly vaccinated population. The sort of restrictions imposed on foreign visitors don't make Thailand a very attractive holiday destination at present.

It may be that more draconian restrictions get the matter under control or "flatten the curve" - but it is uglily tourism will return until the country has achieved herd immunity levels of vaccination.....and that still seems a long way off. ... less than 9% at present.

Fair comment but it's the government that caused the economic damage. Didn't lock down early.

• Like 1

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

Will be nice for the travelers who can get their starting this weekend and running from the lockdown restrictions in the Dark Red provinces.  Of course they are open for domestic travelers and have been, but those arriving now will stay until the restrictions subside elsewhere.  Again tonight the outbound traffic was stop and go on Rama 4 and the freeway still is loaded up now at 7:20, I can see it is bumper to bumper by the red taillights......

So Covid Delta is on the freeways ?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Marvin Hagler said:

What you have to remember here is that the new daily infections almost certainly does not relate to increased testing (testing has decreased if anything according to many news reports and anecdotal evedience). These numbers mean a MUCH higher infection rate than the already high 10% infection rate shown previously.

Assuming 30,000 tests per day then you could be looking at a 30% infection rate...worse is that could easily translate to 20% across the entire population.

Almost impossible to believe that Thailand has hit a 20% infection rate given those numbers. It appears you have confused the "test-positive" variable with "infection rate" so it's not clear to me what your claim is. 

18 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Ever the optimist! 

I remember the last time. I hope not but they said it was to stop people drinking in the night curfew. One day you could buy alcohol and BANG the next day you couldn't. Hope I'm wrong.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, anchadian said:

BREAKING: Phuket Municipality has ordered the closure of all schools under their jurisdiction from 12-23 July 2021 and switch to online learning instead. All teachers must continue working as normal and are strictly forbidden to leave the island #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1413474469637615626

Teachers in Samut Sakhon also strickly forbidden to leave. I posted this some days ago. I have also previously posted the governor domino effect may come into play. The gutless one at the top doesn't want to take responsibility which is interesting as he said he would take full control and responsibity for the current pandemic situation. I think this was around the same time he said what ever will be will be.

Authorities in Phuket have reposted this Infographic to remind people that they are seeking their cooperation to remain at home between the hours of 10pm and 4am. This started on 4th May but the order hasn’t expired yet #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1413479053923786755

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Excel said:

So Covid Delta is on the freeways ?

Heading to parts unknown to beat the lockdown. Silly isn't it....they actually created more of a mess now, but that's my view.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, anchadian said:

BREAKING: Phuket Municipality has ordered the closure of all schools under their jurisdiction from 12-23 July 2021 and switch to online learning instead. All teachers must continue working as normal and are strictly forbidden to leave the island #Thailand

But why, it's the Sandbox and no cases, well 7 today, so the governor can not be saying "What me worry" as Alfred e. Newman would say.

image.png.7512fe65c6fdb8f55c363db413a3ee77.png

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The AirAsia notice in Thai language says the suspension is to cooperate with the government's policies aimed to reducing the spread of COVID.

Sounds like PR speak trying to put a positive spin on discontinuing to fly due to low demand. I don’t blame them for trying.

11 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

I haven’t seen it but I assume it will be a “better than nothing” argument. Which has some merit, although one suspects that there will be no follow up booster shot of an mRNA vaccine.

Close enough. All of the vaccines have shown a significant reduction in mortality. Before MRNA technology, the traditionally developed Sinovac would have been a super drug.

While it is not as effective as the new vaccines, it still works and is far better than nothing. I would be happy to set an example and take a dose. There is nothing else available and I am starting to get nervous.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Wow, it’s not confidence building tbh.

fwiw, I met my first sandbox “tourists” today. A couple from Dubai, she Portuguese, he UAE national, staying for 8 days.  her father used to live in Phuket but died last November.

They haven’t been able to visit till now because of the quarantine. Now they have come to wind up the late fathers personal effects and complete necessary documentation.

were it not for the admin they need to take care of, they wouldn’t have come. So not really tourists here for a holiday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dan42 said:

So I think Thailand needs to do exactly that: lock down the whole country for three months, deploy the whole army and police to control that the measures are respected,

Doesn't sound like that's gonna be in the cards. Sounds like this is gonna be more of a typical Prayut "soft" lockdown.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, anchadian said:

#PhuketSandbox update on Friday: 10 local cases (new high for July) with 62 patients now in hospital. No new cases from Sandbox tourists.

WEEK ONE: 24 local + 1 sandbox = 25 cases

WEEK TWO: 17 cases in two days

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1413483712725995524

A nasty uptick. Hope that doesn’t continue.

58 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Fair comment but it's the government that caused the economic damage. Didn't lock down early.

Yes, I think it’s something forgotten that although lockdowns cause economic fallout, on the flip side, not locking down and allowing a greater number of case to develop, also has an economic cost to it.

not trying to say they are equal or anything, but it’s not a black and white choice of economic cost, or no economic cost. Shades of grey are involved.

• Like 2