Thailand reports daily record of coronavirus infections and deaths

webfact

25 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

At least the Baht has fallen, and should by all measures, continue to fall.  Clearly this is no emerging market for international currency traders.  More like an emergency market—avoid like Covid.

Maybe only good thing from this hole disaster , soon i sent much money in Thailand. Like if sent 100k € i get now 350k- 400k more bth than last year. I live there whit that extra 1 year!

975181249_Screenshot2021-07-17at12_13_00.png.cdd7ceb0c8f6dded80b8c02fe73f79f4.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

The situation is dire and rapidly degrading.

New highs with after the horse has bolted stricter measures being discussed. The awful death stats are now starting to filter through shooting into the 3 figure range. Previous measures have been a complete failure. The nonsense sprouted previously by officials of having this under control is hitting them squarely in the face but more importantly its everyone here in Thailand that is now further in danger from their mistakes.

10,082 positive cases today with 127 of those from prisons, 141 deaths

Rolling 7 day average (up to 15th July only) which includes prison cases and bar chart of community cases.

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/thailand

data 17 july.png

data 17 july 2.png

seems like daily vaccination has dropped off. Any numbers on that right now?

7 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

The high number of discharges allowed more admissions, which allows for a higher number of reported new cases.

The key number is net admissions, how many additional patients were squeezed into the hospital system after accounting for discharges.

Healthcare workers are being pushed to the brink

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Where do we go from here "To the moon Alice, to the moon".  Look at the 7 day rolling average as it climbs.  This should definitely put Thailand amongst the tops in Asia but then I am probably wrong as this is occurring everywhere.

Indonesia is far, far worse. Not that Thailand isn't bad enough and on its way to being a disaster too.

• Like 1

In the interest of those who live in Thailand I would like to see the daily covid stats reports given out to show the provinces throughout the kingdom with their rates of infections . I may be cynical but there does not appear to be daily published provincial covid data which would interest most folks staying in Thailand nor of the rate of testing , especially away from Bangkok and districts . The reported figures are not increasing at an exponentially rate if compared with a similar populated country , e.g. the UK with 60 -70 million population that is reporting over 50,000 new infections daily and the numbers doubling every 10 days . Thailand needs to face the inevitable asap and have a complete lockdown for maybe months in order to avoid a covid massacre . Foreign should be offering repatriation flights before it's too late . 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The temples/crematoriums can't keep up with the dead bodies to burn. Hospital emergency rooms and ICU units are being overrun, ill people can't obtain hospital bed in many areas, and that's at the current case/death levels, which are only likely to go higher. 

What parts of that do you not understand?

Cremations take their time and there were probably too few beds for a city like Bangkok anyway. Look at the percentages before you switch on the panic button.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

BREAKING NEWS (maybe): I've just been told a 24hr hour a day lockdown mon- fri next wk in red zones. leave home and get arrested. Not sure but if this is the case its madness. Shopping centres will be chockers. Anyone seen anything about this.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, sapson said:

Because the hierarchy of Phuket and the islands are the major players in Thailand and money is number one, of course plans to open the country are ludicrous but sadly It seems the maniacs in charge do as they please with impunity and seemingly dont have an ounce of philanthropy  among them.

Head idiot should be frantically negotiating to procure and administer top quality vaccines immediately cutting out all the red tape nonsense and kick backs .....hes given himself extraordinary powers of overriding authority .......time he used them, these are exceptional times.

will this is the government that the people of Thailand have tolerated. so i can't feel too sorry for them. maybe one day they well wake up and realized that by respecting authority unequivocally results in paying the ultimate price.   but i doubt it.

Edited by malibukid

9 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Indonesia is far, far worse. Not that Thailand isn't bad enough and on its way to being a disaster too.

Actually I posted a chart yesterday, on a per capita comparison Thailand is not far from the same rate as Indonisea is right now. Both on the brink of disaster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thai DDC/MOPH just had a live press conference-unfortunately, still no concrete details on what restrictions are coming, what measures will be taken, etc. The conference announced hours ago, essentially announced that there is no announcement yet. 

https://twitter.com/The_PattayaNews/status/1416331276068417537

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is something confusing in the AZ numbers bandied about for Thailand.  If the production is 15m a month, that is only 10% below the cited nameplate capacity of 200m a year cited when the project was announced last year which should be seen as an excellent result for a completely new and very small vaccine manufacturer.  A small shortfall of at least that order would have been written into the business plan by AZ and SBS and should not have caused any disruptions to domestic or overseas deliveries.  The government is talking as if it only just found that it is entitled to only a third of monthly production, a share which seems perfectly reasonable since it only ordered 17.5% of expected production at the outset, although it increased that to 30% later. It can't be a surprise for the government to find it is entitled to deliveries in line with what it ordered.  So it could be that the 10m a month it said it was going to get was never on the cards without a law to restrict exports.  It is also very possible that the production is much less than 15m a month which is what is really causing the problem.  With the policy change to de-emphasise Sinovac in favour of AZ, 15m a month is about what Thailand need to get back on track.  However, to get back to even 10m a month by taking deliveries away from friendly countries is probably going to be difficult. 

2 hours ago, AndyFoxy said:

In this case, on my gut feeling and anecdotal evidence. What’s yours based on?

My opinion is based on my suspicion that if there were "a lot more" deaths then social media would be exposing it. And that a lot more deaths - thousands a day - are coming with my opinion based on the rise in cases and the totally non-existent action to prevent the spread around the country, which should have been done by banning travel for Songkran and to a lesser extent by not having border guards who can be blinded momentarily by a handful of baht.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Just to add a little fuel to the growing fire....................sheer incompetence that is directly leading to deaths from covid now.

Leaked letter from AstraZenecaUK to Anutin. Key revelations: Anutin(‘s team) told AstraZeneca in Sep 20 Thailand would need 3 mil doses per month. Thailand late to order: 26mil (Jan 21), 35mil (May 21). AstraZeneca advised Thailand to join COVAX.

uO96KrR2?format=jpg&name=small

https://twitter.com/Thai_Talk/status/1416309807900860421

https://www.isranews.org/article/isranews/100580-ASTRAAA00.html

AstraZeneca says Thailand only requested 3 million doses per month in initial agreement

A leaked document from AstraZeneca to the Thai government reveals that the Thai Ministry of Public Health only requested 3 million doses per month in an agreement with the vaccine manufacturer last September.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/30034/astrazeneca-says-thailand-only-requested-3-million-doses-per-month-in-initial-agreement/

• Like 2

Just now, malibukid said:

you don't understand Thai's.  they are not scientifically adept. they are a superstitious people living a world of spirits.  an amulet will suffice for a vaccine.  even if vaccines where made available i am sure that most would be weary of them especially those living in the remote rural parts of the country.  old habits die hard.

I don't think that is true, I live in village, the vaccines are just not available. Would the stop on inter-provincial travel include lorry drivers, engineers and technicians? that would flatten industry entirely.

16 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

All adults in the house (5 or 6 I think) had one shot of AZ three weeks before getting sick. 

Yes, especially with the AZ vaccine, you really need two doses and time to let the immunity build.

And even then, the AZ vaccine doesn't provide blanket 100% protection against infection and serious illness, especially if the newer variants are involved. Though it certainly does improve the recipients odds of a good outcome vs no vaccination.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

BREAKING NEWS (maybe): I've just been told a 24hr hour a day lockdown mon- fri next wk in red zones. leave home and get arrested. Not sure but if this is the case its madness. Shopping centres will be chockers. Anyone seen anything about this.

Nothing out there.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

What strict measures?

Apart from bars being kept closed people can go about their daily lives pretty much as normal.

When it gets dark the strict measures kick in hard with curfews and ........and no gathering and no talking on trains and.......stuff like that.Oh and an abysmal promise of a vaccination program some time in an unspecified ever changing future date.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, anchadian said:

AstraZeneca says Thailand only requested 3 million doses per month in initial agreement

A leaked document from AstraZeneca to the Thai government reveals that the Thai Ministry of Public Health only requested 3 million doses per month in an agreement with the vaccine manufacturer last September.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/30034/astrazeneca-says-thailand-only-requested-3-million-doses-per-month-in-initial-agreement/

When they're using the local AZ doses in Thailand, it's coming out of the government's pocket.

But when they can SELL the doses abroad to other nearby countries as the regional distributor of AZ doses, that's where the manufacturer and its owners have a better opportunity to make more money.

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I think the button has already been pressed. Just one example:

"The Thammasat University Hospital is renting two refrigerated shipping containers, to be used to chill the corpses of COVID-19 victims, because existing mortuaries do not have the capacity to handle the increasing number of people dying from the disease and other causes."

That is so but it is important to ask what their mortuary capacity was in the first place, probably laid out for normal hospital capacity so not overly large.

• Sad 1