No countrywide lockdown, says Thailand's Dr Opas

webfact

2pm.jpg

The chief of the Department of Disease Control Dr Opas Kankawinpong yesterday ruled out a total lockdown for Thailand. 

He was responding to press reports that such a measure was imminent, reported Daily News.

He said that the small committee of the Center for Covid-19 Situation Administration was meeting to examine the data and come up with appropriate regulations to counteract a surge in cases in some provinces. 

The situation was being closely monitored, said Dr Opas, before a course of action was decided upon.

Bangkok and nine other provinces have been in an effective lockdown and curfew for a week but elsewhere regulations remain less stringent, notes ASEAN Now. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright ASEAN NOW 2021-07-17

- Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

2 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Rather up there with " there will be no coup", " cracking down on corruption" and " of course I will respect you in the morning"!

You forgot, "honey does this dress make me look fat". Uh.... no.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Often when a government official here denies a thing, it means that the thing will be implemented very soon.

U-Turn Ahead.

Given the trends, it would be foolish to rule out anything, including a full-scale, country-wide LOCKDOWN.

The kind of half-a$$ed control measures used to date in this current wave do little to control the wave, and often just confuse everyone. 

Best to be honest, strong, clear, firm and speak with one voice.

• Like 1

Of course they are going to say no lockdown as they have just started allowing tourists back and imposing a lockdown countrywide would detract and go against the tourists coming to spend money. Everyone knows that Thailand is all about the tourists $ so, again, why would they care about anything else other than the money?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Right so national lockdown it is then.

Better stock up on beer guys.

No national lock-down will be announced that would kill the sandbox scam, they'll just let individual provinces lock themselves down.

Same but different.

5 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

No national lock-down will be announced that would kill the sandbox scam, they'll just let individual provinces lock themselves down.

Same but different.

No, not the same. If they decreed a national lockdown then they would have to help the Thai citizens financially. BIG difference.

4 minutes ago, J Town said:

No, not the same. If they decreed a national lockdown then they would have to help the Thai citizens financially. BIG difference.

That's what I was eluding to.... they won't do it, but let individual provinces do it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Rather up there with " there will be no coup", " cracking down on corruption" and " of course I will respect you in the morning"!

You forgot " Bring happiness back to the people " I can't remember when I last see one , not even Cha Cha the drug lord or f.... farrang man look happy now.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

They simply do not learn or listen to those that know better.

Lockdown now or pay the price you fools

This is a common misconception that full lock-downs help

First & foremost they do not exist

Imagine Covid as a heat wave coming off people

So you lock-down what? The country?

Oh so what a Uber man delivers food to each & every home?

Or in reality are you just locking businesses & letting these heatwaves walk about all day except 9pm to 4am?

This is somehow called locked down?

Like submerging a submarine with all but a few hatches locked down??

What do you think is the result in that submarine with so called locked down hatches except those left open?

Really amazing how simplistic thinking has become the norm in this sensationalized media circus called Covid

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, meechai said:

Really amazing how simplistic thinking has become the norm in this sensationalized media circus called Covid

You do realize how simplistic your observation is? I'm guessing you do not.

Your proposal would be what exactly? Do nothing.

Thank goodness you're' not a firefighter. Stand around and let the fire burn out?

Lockdowns are not the absolute situation. They are meant to SLOW the spread of the virus, allowing health care systems to cope, and fewer people to die.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, J Town said:

And helping Thai citizens finacially  means money out of government  pockets

• Like 1

A post with a link to a disallowed social media video has been removed.

Please see the pertinent forum rule:

Social Media content is acceptable in most social forums. However, in factual areas such as news, current affairs and health topics, it cannot be used unless it is from a credible news media source or government agency, and must include a weblink to the original source.

8 hours ago, meechai said:

This is a common misconception that full lock-downs help

First & foremost they do not exist

They do help.

The do exist.

Wuhan early last year was a shining example for what a real lock down is and what a real lock down can do.

I agree that anything labeled a lock down in the free world is simply a band-aid on an axe wound.