Warning over fake news as Thai police take aim at Covid herbal remedy posts

webfact

6pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The Royal Thai Police spokesman Maj-Gen Yingyos Thepjamnong told Daily News yesterday that Thai prime minister Prayuth Chan-ocha is very worried about the increasing prevalence of fake news. 

He has ordered to crack down on it. 

Fake news creates instability and confusion among the population, said Yingyos, noting that it damages society. 

If you don't believe something, don't share it, was his message. 

He warned about severe consequences for breaking computer crime, defamation and emergency decree laws. 

As a case in point he stressed that claims that a herbal remedy called Kerra could treat Covid-19 were 100% false.

The police were going after those responsible for that example of fake news, said the Major General. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright ASEAN NOW 2021-07-17

- Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, johng said:

"Alternative" views should not be stifled  with threats of prosecution and criminal proceedings  but countered with "rational" argument.

It's a two-way street.  That has to also apply to those promulgating the news that is considered, by rational others, to be fake, and is obviously fake, as in the OP, not just by their accusers or the authorities!   "Alternative" views should be accompanied by rational, empirical evidence of claims made.

Something that is clearly quack therapy that could cause harm by persuading others to buy and use it and not get treatment that is known to be effective in some measure should be stifled.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, johng said:

But what if you do believe it  and share it  and then "someone"  decides it is fake news ( who gets to decide what is fake and what is not ? )

and then end up in "big trouble"

For instance some people believe the earth is flat  and others that it was created in 7 days,some believe that mankind has not set foot on the moon.

Galileo believed the earth rotated around the sun (not the other way round)

and that belief was deemed "dangerous" at the time 

whereas now it is proved to be scientific fact.

"Alternative" views should not be stifled  with threats of prosecution and criminal proceedings  but countered with "rational" argument.

do you have to complicate something simple   ....   ?     I bet you were one of those kids in school who kept asking too many questions ...   lol

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Sheesh, we can't get any vaccines, at least let us buy some snake-oil.

And yes, that ivermectin is for my pet's parasites.

Good job really

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/jul/16/huge-study-supporting-ivermectin-as-covid-treatment-withdrawn-over-ethical-concerns?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

21 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Who?  Those who can produce evidence, or show lack of evidence of claims, perhaps?    

Obviously you haven't lived in Thailand long enough coming out with that statement. You are putting first world logic into a country that does not reciprocate.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Obviously you haven't lived in Thailand long enough coming out with that statement. You are putting first world logic into a country that does not reciprocate.

Obviously, you know nothing about me and you're disparaging something specific that hasn't yet been proven to be inaccurate!   Maybe you're another one with a crystal ball and chronic Thai-bashing tendencies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Who?  Those who can produce evidence, or show lack of evidence of claims, perhaps?    

Just so that I understand what you're saying, you claim that, because you've been here so long you must know better than me (even though you know nothing about how long I've lived here) and you know, from that experience, that the Moderna deal relating to the private hospital group will not go ahead, yes?   

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai prime minister Prayuth Chan-ocha is very worried about the increasing prevalence of fake news. 

I suspect, or actually hope, he is more worried by the real news, which is bad enough!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, johng said:

You cannot rationally argue with many nutcases who have absolutely no evidence of their beliefs 

• Like 1

Problem is that people believe what they hear in the media, online forums and social media sites, which are also considered a kind of media.

People who launch fake news are sometimes doing it out of excitement of some positive experience (which would have probably failed the controlled test), but often it is an intentional misinformation campaign, ran by professionals who know how to package it to gain traction and make people spread it.

I agree that people should be made aware that lots of information is not true and to reconsider before they repost anything. But what is missing the most is teaching people critical thinking. That, however, is not going to happen, as the nation strong in critical thinking would very quickly turn against those who control them...

• Like 1

ok, lets start with prosecuting those who spread online fake news saying the sinovac jabs are effective...dr yoong et al., I am looking at you....

when the government says something one day, and then flips it the next day or so, was that fake news the first time?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Obviously, you know nothing about me and you're disparaging something specific that hasn't yet been proven to be inaccurate!   Maybe you're another one with a crystal ball and chronic Thai-bashing tendencies.

Take a chill pill fella.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Just so that I understand what you're saying, you claim that, because you've been here so long you must know better than me

Show me where I said that. Obviously you can't. You are using assumptions. Anyway that is the last reply as obviously it has hit a nerve.

6 hours ago, johng said:

But what if you do believe it  and share it  and then "someone"  decides it is fake news ( who gets to decide what is fake and what is not ? )

and then end up in "big trouble"

For instance some people believe the earth is flat  and others that it was created in 7 days,some believe that mankind has not set foot on the moon.

Galileo believed the earth rotated around the sun (not the other way round)

and that belief was deemed "dangerous" at the time 

whereas now it is proved to be scientific fact.

Are you saying the earth is not flat?

1 minute ago, Almer said:

Are you saying the earth is not flat?

I believe it is round (ish) ..can we still say that ?  what if the "authorities" say it is indeed flat  should I be locked up for my belief ? ????

I just read this

https://thethaiger.com/news/bangkok/200-teams-go-door-to-door-to-find-covid-19-around-bangkok

" Should anyone develop strong symptoms, the task force teams will provide fever-reducing medication and traditional Thai herbal medicines made from green chiretta that is thought to fight Covid-19 symptoms."

Isn't this "green chiretta" some sort of herbal remedy ?

• Like 2

was it drug minister prompan who was spraying himself with ganja and claiming, that it's anti-covid measure?

in all probability it was covered advertisement for his dealership skills.

Was he ever prosecuted, based on allegations he has super strong elephant ticket?

Edited by internationalism
  • Haha 2

The Thai government can promote herbal medicines but if someone else does it's fake news.  Like Creat. 
Well, as long as the snake-oil is promoted by those in power it's all Ok!

• Like 1