Why are the small shops and small business owners being shut down, yet the large stores, and large factories, are allowed to remain open?

spidermike007

It's been the opposite experience in my area of Bangkok. The nearest mall was closed completely except for the supermarket in the basement and the Boots situated just outside one of the entrances. Inside, all of the shops were closed whether they were the big food chains or the small food court shops. Some have just been allowed to re-open in the last couple of days as delivery only and customers aren't allowed in to get takeaways. 
However, the local market stalls and the food shops along the street have all been able to remain open the whole time to serve takeaways. So it's much easier to buy from the small guys in my area than from big food companies, even using the delivery apps. 

• Like 1

Here in Surin at the end of the world it's the small food places at PTT that are closed down. From lack of customers. No other reason.

We notice because we are loyal customers of 2 of them.

• Like 1

I don't recall hearing about an edict from the government closing small shops. Was there? 

I think it's more likely the small shop owners decided it wasn't worth their time to wait for customers. The economy is in ruins and no one has any money. Another factor might be that small business folks don't want to risk Covid sitting there where anyone might be infected. 

• Like 2

Probably 60% of the small general shops and amulate and lottery sellers around Saphan Kwai (selling all sorts from hardware to food or books etc) are still open or operating. These are shops on Paholyothin Rd and Pradipat Rd that serve the local community, yet all small shops inside the Big C Centre itself had to stop trading or chose to shut, I'm not sure if it was forced or not. Its hard to figure out who is determining or enforcing rules around this area. 

2 hours ago, roquefort said:

It's not just a Thai thing. Very few of the Covid rules and regulations that governments around the world have invented on the hoof make any sense.

A couple of examples from the UK. During lockdowns, golf courses were closed - just about the only place you could safely exercise without coming within a hundred yards of any other human being. Also stores selling "non-essential" items. Similar nonsense to what the OP has pointed out, you could even go into a supermarket to buy food but all "non-essential" shelves were covered up. Like the virus can distinguish between them!

Not where I live, Tesco, Asda, Aldi etc, the clothes department’s etc were still open and selling goods.

Mom and pop shops barely eek out a living off their stall if they are family owned. It’s a day by day living. If you have a shop and pay rent your screwed. Don’t worry, as soon as people are let out again and even some tourists come they will start slowly opening up again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This isn't really too much different outside of Thailand that is what all the discussion and complain are about.  Why Walmart and not your mom and pop?  When it comes to the question as noted by the ops in a mall is they want you to go into one location like Tesco ( since Tesco has been sold it real name is Lotus now ) it all far into a thing called Essentials with a mall they have shut down all the little guys is so people don't linger and move around the mall in theory to spread the virus basically in and out? 

Before people goes half cock save your effort in responding there really is no disagreement things aren't consistent!????

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, unblocktheplanet said:

From BKK, I envy you at...the end of the world.

In the capital, govt finds it upsetting that people are dying at home. Best place to get born, best for dying, too.

Yes, I have said before that I look forward - one day, not too soon - to dying in my bed here at home, surrounded by my Khmer family.

3 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Here in Surin at the end of the world it's the small food places at PTT that are closed down. From lack of customers. No other reason.

We notice because we are loyal customers of 2 of them.

Lack of customers and people lacking money.

Dominoe effect and it's roling along.  Knocking down everything in its path.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 12:34 PM, spidermike007 said:

Any reasonable explanation for this? Or is it simple picking on the little guy, and sabotaging more lives and creating more economic peril, without the backing of any sort of reason or science? Where is the science to back up such restrictions? Is there any? Or is this simply corporate favoritism, and the incessant choice of the big guns, over the little guys?

Any reasonable explanation for this?

Not really, they have the same discussion ongoing for long time in my Scandinavian home country, so perhaps someone person important in some health society mentioned something that might get various governments act like this...????

On 8/3/2021 at 5:34 PM, spidermike007 said:

Outside, all of the small shops were shut down.

Not in my area (in Bangkok) they aren't. Those that sell essentials can and do open. For example, I always buy my bottled drinking water from a mom and pop shop nearby, and it has remained open throughout all the lockdowns. Just like 7/11, Tesco Lotus and Big C.

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Lots of nonsense going on, I agree preference is given to big food companies, small food stalls seem to have closed in malls, maybe that's a choice. Decathlon Pattaya has closed that's big.

No common sense applied, beaches, pools, parks, golf courses closed, any discussion for 10 minutes would easily justify those things opening, so no discussion is had.

Biggest cock up is not buying vaccines early, I'm sure we all knew it was essential, again they can't have discussed it properly

The sc bank in Tesco Lotus Hangdong closed today. CP wanted to raise the rent. Small shop owners can not survive with high rent right now. Decathlon wanted to keep 200 m2  after they move to their own  brand new shop but the new owner of Tesco did not allow.  

18 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

I don't recall hearing about an edict from the government closing small shops. Was there? 

I think it's more likely the small shop owners decided it wasn't worth their time to wait for customers. The economy is in ruins and no one has any money. Another factor might be that small business folks don't want to risk Covid sitting there where anyone might be infected. 

Nope. They have been closed by many provinces, without any science or reason. Perhaps the lack of a lobby, to argue the need for the small guy to make a living? Sheer ivory tower consciousness rules the day. 

• Like 2

On 8/5/2021 at 7:06 AM, bbko said:

Were the small shops told by the government to shut down or was it their choice?  Huge difference.

I do not have the evidence, but if they were not told by the government, all 40 of them would not have closed on the same day at my local Tesco. Basic logic, and more evidence of sabotage, of the local economy and the small business owners. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Nope. They have been closed by many provinces, without any science or reason. Perhaps the lack of a lobby, to argue the need for the small guy to make a living? Sheer ivory tower consciousness rules the day. 

Only shops selling essential goods allowed to open in deep red zones, therefore others are closed. Hi