Substandard Oximeters Rampant

webfact

tna.jpg

BANGKOK, Aug 5 (TNA) – Rescue volunteers urged the government to solve the problem of widespread substandard oximeters which they said harmed users.

The Thai News Agency learned from rescue volunteers supplying oxygen generators and cylinders to the houses of severe COVID-19 patients that substandard oximeters affected the rescuers’ assessment of patients’ conditions and oxygen assistance for patients in need could be dangerously delayed.

Substandard and pirate oximeters were readily available especially through online sales and they showed false readings, the rescuers said.

Full story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-752570

tnalogo.jpg
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

They can't even make a simple thermometer working here, even at hospitals, 34c 35c, shugg your shoulders, nothing odd at all. And why would anyone need an oximeter at home, if you'll under 70 and asymptomatic, call an ambulance and they'll rush off to get you? But if you are cyanotic and can't breath but have 100%,there's nothing wrong with you, right? Ridiculous. 

Edited by RotBenz8888
  • Haha 1

Is there any sort of official approval or review agencies in Thailand similar to UL Underwriter laboratories in the USA, or the FCC or the FTC,or something else for medical devices?  Forgetting the competence for a moment, I am wondering if they have any official doctrines?

7 minutes ago, irwinfc said:

where can we get quality "standard" ones?

Masimo is the leading brand of hospital pulse oximeters 1 because Masimo devices provide accurate measurements when other pulse oximeters fail by using revolutionary Signal Extraction Technology® (SET®) .
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, RubbaJohnny said:
Masimo is the leading brand of hospital pulse oximeters 1 because Masimo devices provide accurate measurements when other pulse oximeters fail by using revolutionary Signal Extraction Technology® (SET®) .

19,000 baht on Lazada!

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/masimo-mightysat-i2083462387-s6858620241.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.418513ddqRWkHC&search=1

3 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

They can't even make a simple thermometer working here, even at hospitals, 34c 35c, shugg your shoulders, nothing odd at all. And why would anyone need an oximeter at home, if you'll under 70 and asymptomatic, call an ambulance and they'll rush off to get you? But if you are cyanotic and can't breath but have 100%,there's nothing wrong with you, right? Ridiculous. 

My local hospital has a self-service blood pressure machine that prints out your figures. Last time I used it it gave a much higher reading than usual. Same with my wife, and same with someone who used it after us. When I saw the nurse I asked for the old-fashioned check and indeed it gave a lower reading. My wife told her of the malfunctioning machine but your guess is as good as mine if she took any notice.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My local hospital has a self-service blood pressure machine that prints out your figures. Last time I used it it gave a much higher reading than usual. Same with my wife, and same with someone who used it after us. When I saw the nurse I asked for the old-fashioned check and indeed it gave a lower reading. My wife told her of the malfunctioning machine but your guess is as good as mine if she took any notice.

Out of calibration would be my guess, just like scales used to weigh folks.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

That machine has probably been malfunctioning for days.... makes one wonder how many are put on medication unnecessarily, based on result from substandard equipment here... 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Out of calibration would be my guess, just like scales used to weigh folks.

And that's when you ask yourself, can I trust other things, like my lab report... do they bother to calibrate the lab equipment...? Kind of lose ones trust... 

• Like 1

'Medical devices in Thailand are regulated by a specialized division in the Thai FDA. Medical devices will require either licensing or registration. The Thai FDA groups medical devices into 3 classes’ sub-categories as follows:...'

It depends if the subject oxymeters are approved or not. Should specify a stamp or sticker or statement thereon. Unless forged, as some CE marks are suspected to be.

Edited by Scott Tracy

5 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

Is there any sort of official approval or review agencies in Thailand similar to UL Underwriter laboratories in the USA, or the FCC or the FTC,or something else for medical devices?  Forgetting the competence for a moment, I am wondering if they have any official doctrines?

Yep, plenty of stickers available, what specification /standard would you like to attach to your substandard equipment. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RubbaJohnny said:

Mmm, Signal Extraction Technology, sounds so sexy doesn't it?  That means they extract the signal using technology,,, duh!! ????

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

That was a speak-your-weight machine.... ????

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, RubbaJohnny said:

Masimo is a sophisticated oximeter far more than the average person would need. SET is a new system. As a severe COPD sufferer I have used ChoiceMed oximeters both standard and ones that record and are downloadable to PC. I have been using oximeters for many years and I check them against hospital ones. They are made in China but I have never had a problem.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

Is there any sort of official approval or review agencies in Thailand similar to UL Underwriter laboratories in the USA, or the FCC or the FTC,or something else for medical devices?

Yes  this  is it Thai baht becoming the region's worst-hit currency in COVID pandemic -  Thailand Business News

Edited by Rampant Rabbit
  • Like 1