Messed up My Non-O Retirement Yet Again

4 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

No "Moral Issues" with my Agent as they won't help you if you do not meet all of the requirements, I use the 800K in the Bank method & they took me to the Bank to get printed statements as I hadn't updated my bank book for several months

Can't you go to the bank by yourself?

Are you suggesting the agents that help you get around the financial requirements are 'immoral'? 

28 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Can't you go to the bank by yourself?

Are you suggesting the agents that help you get around the financial requirements are 'immoral'? 

Yes I can but I wouldn't have thought to check for amalgamated entries & the need to get separate statements for the 3 months that were lumped into one entry nor would I know what to ask for at the bank (lesson learnt, need to make sure I update my bank book at least once per month)  

I'm not suggesting anything about agents that help people get around any of the requirements, the reason I included "Moral Issues" was in response to the post I replied to...

"Definitely do not "have" to use an agency. 

The return on a 1 year US treasury or even a money market account will usually more than cover the small agency fee.  I get it if you have moral issues with the process and respect this concern.  If this is not the issue, back at you - why would you not use an agency?"

Not my place to say what is morally right or wrong however I don't agree with anybody who says people that do skirt around the finance/insurance requirements are not causing any harm, as their actions are the reason why immigration make it more hassle for people who do meet all the requirements (e.g. me needing to get seperate statements to be able to show my balance did not dip below 400K on every day of the year which wasn't a requirement 2 or 3 years ago).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tonray said:

Certainly not at the .09% that 1 year Treasury is yielding today. Even a 10 year treasury will only get you about 10,000 baht annually. A 1 year will earn you about 720 baht.

Usually is what I stated but get your point

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nickelbeer said:

My landlady is also my agent. I liked her explanation of "seasoning".  She said, seasoning is something you put on FOOD. it has nothing to do with money. She explained that it was just another way that Immigration has to inconvenience you. 500 dollars is expensive compared to the previous price, but it is very reasonable when you see the doors that an agent can open. 80 thousand baht a month isn't good enough for Immigration, they want you to park it in a Thai bank because of a corrupt "sweetheart" deal between them and the banks. I am happy to pay so-called "corruption money", to be able to love here for a year. I will be long gone, once the Covid insanity ends. Thailand has abused its expats enough. The Philippines offers a better deal for the money.

Little off topic but i have start to think i go back Philippines. You can get SRRV Retiment Visa already when you are over 35 years old. You can work whit it etc.

Hes benefits: https://pra.gov.ph/srrv/#qualifications

1. Indefinite stay with multiple-entry/exit privileges;

2. Exemption from:

• Philippine Bureau of Immigration ACR-I Card (Annual Report)

• Customs duties & taxes for one time importation of household goods & personal effects worth up to US$7,000.00 Tax from pensions & annuities

• Travel Tax, if retiree has not stayed in the Philippines for more than 1 year from last date of entry

• Student Visa/Study Permit

3. Access to the Greet & Assist Program at selected Philippine airports;

4. Free subscription to the PRA Newsletter;

5. Discount privileges from PRA accredited Merchant Partners;

6. Free assistance in transacting with other government agencies;

7. Entitlement to PHILHEALTH benefits & privileges.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nickelbeer said:

80 thousand baht a month isn't good enough for Immigration, they want you to park it in a Thai bank because of a corrupt "sweetheart" deal between them and the banks.

"...because of a corrupt "sweetheart" deal between them and the banks.

I'd love to hear how you back up that assertion of duplicitous corruption between those two entities.   Thai banks don't need foreigners' drop-in-the-ocean visa money and there's no evidence that they are paying the Immigration police for it.   Unless you, making the accusation, know different, of course.

By the way, Immigration officers do not make the regulations that foreigners have to abide by, either, they just enforce them.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

But there's a huge downside...The Philippines.

The Philippines is the UPSIDE.....there is no downside. Obviously someone who has never been to the P.I.  The MAIN benefit of retiring in the Philippines is access to PhilHealth, the Philippine National Healthcare plan. Thailand will never have anything like it because they want expats to leave, not to live.

Edited by Nickelbeer
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...because of a corrupt "sweetheart" deal between them and the banks.

I'd love to hear how you back up that assertion of duplicitous corruption between those two entities.   Thai banks don't need foreigners' drop-in-the-ocean visa money and there's no evidence that they are paying the Immigration police for it.   Unless you, making the accusation, know different, of course.

By the way, Immigration officers do not make the regulations that foreigners have to abide by, either, they just enforce them.

Correction, top Immigration officers make ALL of the regulations with input from the PM, as for backing up my assertion, the opinion of my agent, who has over 30 years of dealing with Immigration is that banks contributed heavily to the "Policeman's Retirement Fund", in order to have a stake in expat retirement regulation. I value her opinion and apparently, the IO values it too, judging by the welcome she gets when she drives me to the Immigration office.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Nickelbeer said:

there is no downside

You appear to have joined the fake news brigade or are being paid by the Philippine Government to come out with such rubbish.  What about crime?

From WiKi;  Crime is present in various forms in the Philippines, and remains a serious issue throughout the country. Illegal drug trade, human trafficking, arms trafficking, murder, corruption and domestic violence remain significant concerns. The Philippines has a high rate of murder cases,  Most major cities are plagued with high prevalence of crimes.

1 hour ago, fangless said:

You appear to have joined the fake news brigade or are being paid by the Philippine Government to come out with such rubbish.  What about crime?

From WiKi;  Crime is present in various forms in the Philippines, and remains a serious issue throughout the country. Illegal drug trade, human trafficking, arms trafficking, murder, corruption and domestic violence remain significant concerns. The Philippines has a high rate of murder cases,  Most major cities are plagued with high prevalence of crimes.

Here's what WIKI says about Thailand:

Official corruption is rampant in Thailand.[1][2] It ranges from bribery to outright police collusion. The interplay of drugs, prostitution, political paralysis, corruption and collusion, a culture of impunity,[3] international tourism and trade, traditional Buddhist tolerance[4] and tendency to ignore problems has led to an increasingly multifaceted and complex crime epidemic in the country. Juvenile delinquency has also been increasing in recent years.[5][6]

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Nickelbeer said:

Here's what WIKI says about Thailand:

Official corruption is rampant in Thailand.[1][2] It ranges from bribery to outright police collusion. The interplay of drugs, prostitution, political paralysis, corruption and collusion, a culture of impunity,[3] international tourism and trade, traditional Buddhist tolerance[4] and tendency to ignore problems has led to an increasingly multifaceted and complex crime epidemic in the country. Juvenile delinquency has also been increasing in recent years.[5][6]

Why reply about Thailand?  We know what it is like here!

I thought it was the Philippines you were extolling the virtues of with your lie about no downside!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I have spent a lot more time in Thailand than in The Philippines, but I have visited the latter about 20 times over a long period. Both countries have plusses and minuses. Crime in both countries is an issue, but violent crime has tended to increase in Thailand and decrease in the Philippines over the decades. Relative to other developing countries, neither is terrible in this respect. Thailand has wonderful food (both Thai and almost every other cuisine) and that is probably the determining factor in where I decide to live. For those who want to spend a lot of time in bars, The Philippines is far cheaper in that particular respect. Immigration rules are also more relaxed in The Philippines. The quality of the health care available in Thailand is excellent, but not cheap. As you say, it is easier for expats to enroll in a health system in Phil that provides some peace of mind in the event of an accident or illness, but the quality is lower than in Thailand.

Good report. 

Don't you think though when it comes to violet crimes you can include every country in the world it's really a case of where you live in a particular country I have found. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Nickelbeer said:

The Philippines is the UPSIDE.....there is no downside. Obviously someone who has never been to the P.I.  The MAIN benefit of retiring in the Philippines is access to PhilHealth, the Philippine National Healthcare plan. Thailand will never have anything like it because they want expats to leave, not to live.

I've lived in the PI and the downside is The Philippines. 

Thailand does not want expats to leave, where do you get that false and misleading information from?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Nickelbeer said:

as for backing up my assertion, the opinion of my agent, who has over 30 years of dealing with Immigration is that banks contributed heavily to the "Policeman's Retirement Fund", in order to have a stake in expat retirement regulation.

I didn't think you'd have anything to back up your bizarre "banks' corrupt sweatheart deal" accusation...I was right.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I didn't think you'd have anything to back up your bizarre "banks' corrupt sweatheart deal" accusation...I was right.

I will take the word of an agent with 30 years experience over that of a Brit who stands to lose his savings if Thai banks go belly up. I keep no more than enough to keep my account open. Just as my agent advised. If you don't believe Thais who actually live and work here, who WILL you believe??

1 minute ago, Nickelbeer said:
5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I will take the word of an agent with 30 years experience over that of a Brit who stands to lose his savings if Thai banks go belly up. I keep no more than enough to keep my account open. Just as my agent advised. If you don't believe Thais who actually live and work here, who WILL you believe??

Well, I'd believe someone who could produce evidence to back up their bizarre claim and, so far, you haven't, hearsay is not evidence!   Being Thai does not mean that everything that they say is factual! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Don't you think though when it comes to violet crimes you can include every country in the world it's really a case of where you live in a particular country I have found.

With rare exceptions (for instance Japan and New Zealand) this is a fair comment.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BritTim said:
27 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

With rare exceptions (for instance Japan and New Zealand) this is a fair comment.

"...the annual number of violent crimes [in New Zealand] has increased from 1,341 in 1950 to 61,967 in 2014. In 2014 the New Zealand Police replaced its crime statistics recording methods, so from 2015 onwards reported statistics are not comparable with those reported previously".

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Thailand does not want expats to leave, where do you get that false and misleading information from?

I got it from Immigration, which told me if I didn't like the regulations, I should go back where I came from.  No matter that they have changed the regulations about three times since I came here. Thai Immigration makes their own law based on "hints" from higher ups. I am encouraged that the King of Thailand prefers to spend time with farangs because there is no palace protocol to deal with.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Nickelbeer said:

It was the video that was not a reliable source.

The info in the Nation has been in the news forum and other topics already.

5 hours ago, Nickelbeer said:
6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

I got it from Immigration, which told me if I didn't like the regulations, I should go back where I came from.  No matter that they have changed the regulations about three times since I came here. Thai Immigration makes their own law based on "hints" from higher ups.

"Thailand ... they want expats to leave".

So, something else that you just made up.    Immigration/Thailand has never said that they want expats to leave...ever.      Isn't posting false and misleading information here against the forum rules?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So, something else that you just made up.    Immigration/Thailand has never said that they want expats to leave...ever.      Isn't posting false and misleading information here against the forum rules?

You obviously want to stir up trouble. Immigration told me that if I could not comply with their rules, then I should go back to my home country. They had no problem waiving the rules with the help of my agent who has an "arrangement" with IO.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Nickelbeer said:
11 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You obviously want to stir up trouble. Immigration told me that if I could not comply with their rules, then I should go back to my home country. They had no problem waiving the rules with the help of my agent who has an "arrangement" with IO.

That's not "obviously" what I want to do.    You claimed that "Thailand wants expats to leave the country".  That is false, it's a s simple as that and I disputed what you posted.   

If you could not comply with IB's requirements that everyone else has to comply with that is your individual problem, it is not "Thailand telling expats to leave".

• Like 1