100,000 retailers in Thailand face closure due to COVID-19 restrictions

Jonathan Fairfield

WP5RETA2KVNH7PXALUUYQIZU54.jpg

A closed sign is seen at the Chu Chocolate Bar & Cafe, days after it was permanently closed due to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic in Bangkok, Thailand, June 1, 2021. Picture taken June 1, 2021. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha

The Thai Retailers Association (TRA) has issued a stark warning about the impact the current COVID-19 restrictions are having on the country's retail sector.

The TRA said 100,000 stores in Thailand face closure due to the current lockdown, with revenue in the retail sector set to contract by 270THB billion. 

According to TRA vice-president Chatrchai Toungratanapha, Thailand's retail sector is facing a crisis, with the July retail sentiment Index (RSI) shrinking to 16.4 points, its lowest in 18 months, INN reported. 

Mr Chatrchai said that the RSI has decreased significantly across all retail sectors, with malls and restaurants worst hit. 

Sales in restaurants were down between 80 and 90 percent in June, Mr Chatrchai said, while sales at convenience stores had fallen up to 25 percent, having been affected by 9pm to 4am curfew, due to late-night hours being one of the peak times for business hours. 

The situation for Thailand's retail sector looks set to get worse before it improves. 

According to the TRA, 90 percent of business owners in the retail sector believe the current economical situation will not return to normal until mir 2023 or later. 

To help support its members, the TRA has called on the government to provide help to retail businesses. 

Among the measures requested include financial support to help pay rent and staff salaries, as well as 50 percent reduction in utility bills for the next 6 months. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

to a Depression in some areas. 

Yes, a bit blue at my house too... 

Just waiting to vax and hoping this is over soon, sad for the biz owners but a new younger group will hopefully take their place w/great innovations... or not...

maybe this is the end..

• Like 1

<Removed post edited out>

Seems many in BKK were prepared and able to do that in the first lockdown which seemed to have an end date - now it has been going on with no end in sight I suspect people have neither the will or the resources to continue. The level of desperation seems much higher this second time 'round.

I noticed the dentist in Soi 5 which was clearly a great business, shut down within 2 days. They are now looking very smart.

Edited by metisdead
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, engamann said:

Yes because we all should have understand that this would go on for 18 month like the more experienced Steven , but hey if your hero Cha Cha had at least did something right from the start maybe most of this stores would have been open again now and not still shut after 18 months !!!

where in my post did I say I thought this would go on for 18months ?    WHERE in my post did I even mention the PM ?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Many more like you i suspect, sad times.

Hope it works out for you and your son!

Thank you.  He's waiting for his 2nd jab (Bangkok). I'm waiting for my 1st (Pattaya.)  When complete, we're off elsewhere.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

It is not just a Recession but seems closer to a Depression in some areas.  Prolonged negative growth and very high unemployment describes Pattaya.

Why does it only "seem closer to a depression in some areas". I'd say it's definitely a depression in all areas.

I wouldn't call losing your business and livelihood a "depression". I'd call it a disaster. That's 100,000 retailers going out of business, and still with debts to pay once closed.

• Like 2

This seems to be a world wide problem.  I know that does not make things easier but then again with everyone worried about the  virus you have to wonder how many are out shopping or would be going out to dinner.

many businesses will close because it is the easiest and most cost effective thing to do but I am sure that once this is under control that a lot of these businesses will return either under new owners or such.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

According to the TRA, 90 percent of business owners in the retail sector believe the current economical situation will not return to normal until mir 2023 or later. 

I'm pretty sure if Thailand is not open within the next 6 months unrestricted then they'll either be out of business or struggling and limping on for another 4-5 years. Opening up without restrictions will bring a surge or tourists to what they have now, but nowhere near what they need to survive without more cut backs.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

It is not just a Recession but seems closer to a Depression in some areas.  Prolonged negative growth and very high unemployment describes Pattaya.

A depression has a specific definition....namely 

Depressions are often identified as recessions lasting longer than three years or resulting in a drop in annual GDP of at least 10%.

We have not had the 3 years yet of course, but maybe the 10%?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Scrotobike said:

I wonder if there will be winners (monopolistic types) if these poor people have to close their businesses?

Online gambling seems to be the way to go... that makes a hefty profit.

• Like 2