Combined use of AstraZeneca and Pfizer jabs starts in October in Thailand

snoop1130

20 minutes ago, chessman said:

This is already happening. At my vaccination appointment this week I was offered AZ or Phizer. When I had the first dose 3 months ago I was offered Sinovac or AZ.

The Pfizer postcode lottery! Some areas have it and some don't. Last Monday at my 2nd appt I got AZ but I would have prefered the Pfizer, it wasn't available. Not complaining. Next question; what's the best booster after having had 2 doses of AZ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, rbkk said:

Yea I've not researched it much but obviously a benefit. However there is also another study that says 2 shots AZ after a period of a few months then actualy retains a higher antibody level than 2 shots of Pfizer. No link for that as I'm on my phone.

Angela Merkel went for AZ then Moderna, even better perhaps? 

To be honest its all a step up from Sinovac used as a dose so thats a bonus.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Emdog said:

I'm slated to get second shot of AZ at BPH  October 22.... will they sub Pfizer or do AZ again? I wonder

i was think that for my 2nd jab of AZ due at phyathai2 on the 13th oct

3 hours ago, Srjs said:

I had an AstraZeneca shot on July 23, 2021.  I am scheduled to get a second AstraZeneca shot on October 15, 2021.  Since I am booked to have AstraZeneca, am I ineligible to get Pfizer as a second shot?  The prime minister of Canada and chancellor of Germany both had AstraZeneca first shots followed by mRNA seconds shots of vaccine.  I assume they had good medical advice to mix the vaccines after getting the first AstraZeneca shot.  Anyone have any idea who I can contact to see if having a first AstraZeneca prior to October precludes you from get a Pfizer second shot.  I will reach out to Bumrungrad Hospital, where I got my first shot, to see if I can get the Pfizer as a second shot.  Twice they have advised me I am ineligible for Pfizer second shot and must take AstraZeneca.  I hope this new news on mixing AZ and Pfizer will allow them to give me the Pfizer as a second shot.  My research on the internet leads me to believe that the mixing of vaccines gives a superior protection over two doses of AstraZeneca.  I have another 6 weeks to see if there are any more studies on the AZ and Pfizer mixing of vaccines and their benefits and downsides.

get pfizer or moderna as a booster next year if all else fails

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Does anyone see an issue here, or is it just me.

You do not walk alone! Reacted on this already the first time I read about mix-and-match. It takes years to perfect a vaccine, and they are made to work with one or two doses of the same vaccine. 

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

As I posted in another OP:

A true mixed cocktail then....Hey Doc I will take a jab of Sinovac, then jab me with that AZ stuff, and now for my booster only 8 weeks or maybe 16 weeks after my Sinovac shot give me that Pfizer jab. So 3 jabs in 4 months.

Has the body even built up the immunities in full by the time the booster is given?

Does anyone see an issue here, or is it just me.

'Using the AstraZeneca viral vector vaccine as the first dose, followed by a dose of the Pfizer mRNA vaccine 4-12 weeks later.'

This does not seem to be for those who had sinovac, the way forward on that is if you had 2 jabs of that then you will get a AZ or Pfizer booster. Not seen the mixing of 3 vaccines mentioned anywhere apart from on here, I may have missed it though.

8 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Well its certainly a better combination than Sinovac as first shot then AZ as second.

A 2 shot regime of AZ or 2 shots of Pfizer is fine by me, not sure exactly why you would want to mix it up, there maybe a small benefit to having the Pfizer as second dose but I've also read in a study that vaccine waning with AZ is not as rapid as it is with Pfizer. 

Anyway its not for me as I'll have my second dose of AZ in a couple of weeks, I'm happy with that for the moment.

Same for me, Ill get my 2nd AZ next month.... no mixing for me thanks

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chessman said:

This is already happening. At my vaccination appointment this week I was offered AZ or Phizer. When I had the first dose 3 months ago I was offered Sinovac or AZ.

Wondering what hospital.  I'm do up for my 2nd AZ at Phyathai 2 in two weeks and would like the Pfizer 2nd jab option but can live with the AZ. 

• Like 1

In my humble opinion the mix of Astra Zeneca and mRNA will work and be safe.  But the truth here is that these decisions are not based on science, they are based on the available vaccine supply.  So any reference to good science while may be true is just cover for the fact that SB does not make enough AZ, they did not order enough AZ, they did not order enough mRNA vaccine and that Sinovac although somewhat helpful is not as good as the other widely used vaccines.  I truly wish they would stop trying to reinvent this vaccination plan and stick to what has proven to work in other countries.

• Like 2