SURVEY: Will Thailand continue to be a favorable destination for retirees?

Scott

SURVEY: Will Thailand continue to be a favorable destination for retirees?  

407 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Logical for whom?

For Thais it is extremely logical to keep foreigners on temporary year long visa extensions and 90-day reports. Keeps track of where they are living, easy to remove criminals, no vast numbers of extended family automatically allowed entry, cannot claim benefits or free healthcare (unless paying tax on wp), not a burden on the society and can be removed at any moment at their own expense. 

Another added benefit is it keeps people that don't have an interest in Thai culture, assimilating or learning the Thai language (which is the majority) well at arms length from any sort of permanence here. Just as it should be.

Sounds like a winner to me, wish my home country would adopt similar rules tbh.

So in your world, criminals follow the rules and report their location.... but then don't follow the rules when they are committing crimes? 

How about this, if someone who is on a non-immigrant is arrested for committing a crime (of significance)... you hold them and either take them to trial first... then incarcerate/deport them... or just deport them...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

So in your world, criminals follow the rules and report their location.... but then don't follow the rules when they are committing crimes? 

How about this, if someone who is on a non-immigrant is arrested for committing a crime (of significance)... you hold them and either take them to trial first... then incarcerate/deport them... or just deport them...

In my World foreign criminals are weeded out, incarcerated and deported if necessary. This is assisted by the strict immigration laws, regular arrests of overstayers and a zero tolerance policy for those that do not follow the rules.

My World is Thailand.

Compare this to the UK where foreign criminals arrive daily and are treated to free hotel rooms, three meals a day, medical care and an allowance, all at the taxpayers' expense.

Thailand has its immigration policies spot on. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

In my World foreign criminals are weeded out, incarcerated and deported if necessary. This is assisted by the strict immigration laws, regular arrests of overstayers and a zero tolerance policy for those that do not follow the rules.

My World is Thailand.

Compare this to the UK where foreign criminals arrive daily and are treated to free hotel rooms, three meals a day, medical care and an allowance, all at the taxpayers' expense.

Yes Mr. Meeseeks , you will have Thai Citizenship soon ...

Because you work and pay taxes and , are married to a Thai citizen I presume ...

Mee too , I am married for 23 yrs to a thai citizen , but I am retired , living permanently in Thailand , but not working .

I cannot have or apply for Thai Citizenship . Is that correct ??

Thai Xenophobia will be the shot in Thailand's own foot .

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GStewart70 said:

Your opinion.

I'll keep my assets in the UK and travel/retire abroad on the income or capital appreciation.

Retiring abroad means your totally at the mercy of immigration rules and currency fluctuations.

Your a guest in Thailand on a 1 year rolling contract.

Property ownership is another ball game altogether.

Anyone with half a brain wouldn't sell a property in the UK with a market componding at 10% plus a year at the minute.

If that 'doesn't work for some people' then their idiots.

Good post, apart from mentioning "guest", but I take it that it is just a figure of speech.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I retired to Thailand just 5 months ago after 15 years of planning, 30 years of visiting, now keeping occupied with a family, a home, a few cattle and rice. Usual requirements set up and paid for. 

Have visited immigration on 3 occasions so far, very helpful, expect no issues with my extension for a year when I apply end of this month.

I do not dwell on Thailand of the past, enjoyed it to the full as I enjoy a more sedate lifestyle now.

The future may well throw up a few challenges, but I think I am made of stronger stuff than those baulking at a few hours of effort and time spent at immigration, or the 'monied up' who refuse to build a very affordable home because it will not be an 'asset'.

Once again a thread to make me smile 

Thanks guys 

Have a Lovely day 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Flippant comment in lieu of any reasoned and factual argument.

They tolerate visitors but they simply don't want foreigners here longer term. 

This much is obvious with so much as a modicum of knowledge about Thai culture, history and immigration policy.

The flippant comment was from yourself……..

“Most Thais don't want more foreigners  here other than on holiday.”

……when you can have no idea what most Thais want

. That is a fact. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

been here for long time,but no way want attachments ,cept mutts.     Live good life,pensions excellent  then Im not frozen for OAP...medical is what a lot complain of,but the cheapest and best is close to hand,better than NHS  but yes covid has put spanner in works for the mo

Sauna  mornings,followed by long swim afternoons,nice massage later,follwed by other thing ,   where else could that be got  cheaply?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Salerno said:

When?

When 'Big Chok' was Immigration chief.  if you are being pedantic it was technically the Government Coup instated before this one, but the same key people, Prawit, Prayuth and others.

Edited by mokwit

43 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

My World is Thailand.

"Thailand has its immigration policies spot on." I would agree with you where the rest of your post is concerned and when it is compared to the UK.

But the immigration policies for retirees and under fifties who want to stay long term and do not want to marry has just gotten worse since the coup "that wasn't going to happen".

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

‘They’re’…………irony alert. 

No irony.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-house-price-index-for-june-2021#:~:text=The June data shows%3A,UK valued at £265%2C668

Fact.

Just glad i dont come on this forum everyday begging the Thai government to open the borders to save the titty bar i stuck all my money in.

21 hours ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

Started coming here, annually, in 1988, for three month holidays.   Did the bars, did the temples,  wandered  length and breadth of the country.  It was a real wild west then, but  free and easy. No  troubles, providing you behaved yourself and showed  respect.  Came to live here permanently  12 years ago..   Settled down.   Things   have gradually  gone downhill. The people arent as happy and carefree as before,  visa requirements  have gone  through the roof, blatant corruption everywhere, the cost of living   nearly equals  my home country, apart from housing, taxes etc., Im  talking about  those who  purchase farang food, and not live on rabbit food from the markets... I  do feel sorry for the general Thai populace, the working people who  seem to live a hand to mouth existance, but not the slightest empathy for  the government or any employed within it.

Unfortunately retirees have become the soft targets, immigration visa requirements, reporting, minimum deposit levels, end of the vaccine queue, home ownership rules, all add up to "no longer welcome" attitudes. But we should have seen the signs when the "khun dee's" turned to "Khun Khee neow" when buying lady drinks for the bar girls lost it's appeal.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Strictly IMO, I think it's possible Thailand may shed it's image as the VN War era R&R fleshpit, and from Emmanuelle (the movie that brought the ping-pong ball show to the West).   Of course there will always be red-light entertainment available, goes without saying.  If this health emergency goes on for another year or more, it will be a blip in the sex work business, with girls who never had the option of heading to Pattaya for some quick boom-boom cash, and the pros moving on to find another way to get through life.  No johns means no janes.  Used to be if you went to the tourist office at the airport when arriving they'd load you up with glossy printed guide pamphlets, and the most heavily-offered activity was the hiring of companions.  Image your granny seeing that in the place she was considering retiring to!

But a word about recommended retirement destinations.  Have a look at some of these "best places to retire" articles and you'll see they are generally pretty subjective or trivial.  E.g. retirees get free admission to museums; gee, that's great, but is that worthy of being the #3 reason?   Free medical insurance for retirees sounds great, but they may not mention the medical equipment is a few decades out of date, and second-rate to begin with.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

The flippant comment was from yourself……..

“Most Thais don't want more foreigners  here other than on holiday.”

……when you can have no idea what most Thais want

. That is a fact. 

Show some evidence to prove my statement wrong.

Otherwise stop wasting my time. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mokwit said:

When 'Big Chok' was Immigration chief.  if you are being pedantic it was technically the Government Coup instated before this one, but the same key people, Prawit, Prayuth and others.

Ah, now I get you. My apologies, misinterpreted your initial post.

• Like 1

Once Thailand fully opens  up  the Tourists will come back 

Get rid of the quarantine  on arrival plus the paperwork involved which is unnecessary hassle 

It's still cheap for tourists to come and enjoy their stay here plenty to see 

Most of the complainers are the expats already here in Thailand 

Who can't or won't leave what ever their reasons 

Plus still a good place for Retirement according to the amount of people asking about the retirement visas here on Thai visa 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1