A nightmare is unfolding.....

2 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Oke, question. How High should the wall then be? And would this work if the noise is coming from further away or should then the wall be xx meters high :whistling:

They used this idea during WW2........as listening posts (before they had radar) for enemy aircraft coming across the channel. Some of the structures have survived to this day.

• Like 1

Just now, Will B Good said:

Like you, it is my wife's village!!!

And I am the same as you....bass note....what the....?

I pleaded with her not to buy property in Thailand for this very reason....over and over again....rent and we can move......but she wanted her own house, near the village (1km) and that was it. 

For me it was different, we were living in Pattaya and I wanted desperately  to move away! 

Been searching high and low for houses and then my wife reminded me about the land I bought for her as a "Wedding Present".

Aahh oke yes, let's build a house there, sold the condo (BIG MISTAKE shouldn't have done that) and moved to up-country, first 3-4 years were nice and loved it to bits. Got Internet via a Steel tower in the garden (17 meters high), going shopping was a 60km round trip but life was good, but then came that faithful day that this guy moved there, held on another 1-2 years, with lots of travels and staying in local hotels but finally GAVE UP!!

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, davidhen said:

Whilst I do sympathise with your predicament, surely his business is not going to endure in such a remote location?

It is surprising how many little places there are out in Isan like this.....middle of nowhere, seemingly no customers, no passing trade.....all set up at the side of the road.

I think many are there just as an add on to some other work or business they have, in the hope of adding a little extra to the pot.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Have your wife put on her bikini and start offering free coffee to anyone passing by.

Or YOU put on the bikini and patronise his "shop" :whistling:

I do like the curved wall idea, you should be able to get the relevant focal point calculations off the net to focus back on his main seating area. If nothing else it will enable him to turn down the level and still get blood coming from his patrons ears.

Buy some decent ear plugs and wait him out, talk to the local plod that there could be some easy pickings on the drink-driving front (does he have an alcohol licence?).

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MJCM said:

For me it was different, we were living in Pattaya and I wanted desperately  to move away! 

Been searching high and low for houses and then my wife reminded me about the land I bought for her as a "Wedding Present".

Aahh oke yes, let's build a house there, sold the condo (BIG MISTAKE shouldn't have done that) and moved to up-country, first 3-4 years were nice and loved it to bits. Got Internet via a Steel tower in the garden (17 meters high), going shopping was a 60km round trip but life was good, but then came that faithful day that this guy moved there, held on another 1-2 years, with lots of travels and staying in local hotels but finally GAVE UP!!

God that is awful.....and everything I pictured happening if she bought....and lo and behold.......

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Or YOU put on the bikini and patronise his "shop" :whistling:

I do like the curved wall idea, you should be able to get the relevant focal point calculations off the net to focus back on his main seating area. If nothing else it will enable him to turn down the level and still get blood coming from his patrons ears.

Mankini???

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, davidhen said:

Whilst I do sympathise with your predicament, surely his business is not going to endure in such a remote location?

In our case it does, you still have those guys that come there and want to have a party!

In our case the guy was also planning a Restaurant but that failed because of the to keep stock and stock perishes quickly in this heat, but a couple of bottles of Beer and Lao Khao are quick to arrange!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

@CharlieH

That won't work. We closed (filled in with blocks) 3 out of our 5 windows in the bed room and we use 15cm thick blocks. The other 2 windows we got double glazing especially brought over from Pattaya.

And when he turns on the BASS (that is the MAIN issue) you still feel it in your gut! And this shop (at our place) was around 200 meters away!!!

I found a picture on the phone how it looked like after we closed the Windows

Windows.JPG

Edit: These were the Windows that we in the direct path of the Music

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

I know what you mean.

If we came to an arrangement as to when and for how long we could maybe live with it......go shopping, go out......but what a farce!!!!

Well the mafia is always available to make an an offer he can't refuse I guess. ????

• Haha 1

I had a similar problem.

1. Get an official police box on your gate/fence as near to the noise as possible. I pay 500 baht a month. It's well worth it, especially when I'm away.

2. Be at home when they fix it! Tell the police then and there before you pay any money, to enquire into the nuisance. Ask/'insist' that they speak to the proprietor immediately. (Give them a few baht for some beer?)

3. It is the duty of the police to check your house every day and they and you can write in the official little red book kept in the box. It is their duty to respond.

4. Be friendly and try to get names and phone numbers of those policemen. (They like a little money for a beer or two!)

3. If the nuisance persists, go to the police station with your lawyer. Show a 'top man' your red book with your daily (?) complaint (preferably in Thai). Play him an audio, if top man will not come out to your house personally. If you have Thai family, request a policewoman come out too. They can really lay down the law! If it's to do with family, the police cannot or will not refuse. (But don't offer her any beer money!)

Yes, there are laws on pollution of the environment including noise. i hope pollution and the environment are 'hot' ASEAN topics now.

And, if it works, please give me any advice you can on obtaining a Visa for my Thai gf to go with me to Switzerland)

Cheers, Will, Good luck!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, siftasam said:

I had a similar problem.

1. Get an official police box on your gate/fence as near to the noise as possible. I pay 500 baht a month. It's well worth it, especially when I'm away.

2. Be at home when they fix it! Tell the police then and there before you pay any money, to enquire into the nuisance. Ask/'insist' that they speak to the proprietor immediately. (Give them a few baht for some beer?)

3. It is the duty of the police to check your house every day and they and you can write in the official little red book kept in the box. It is their duty to respond.

4. Be friendly and try to get names and phone numbers of those policemen. (They like a little money for a beer or two!)

3. If the nuisance persists, go to the police station with your lawyer. Show a 'top man' your red book with your daily (?) complaint (preferably in Thai). Play him an audio, if top man will not come out to your house personally. If you have Thai family, request a policewoman come out too. They can really lay down the law! If it's to do with family, the police cannot or will not refuse. (But don't offer her any beer money!)

Yes, there are laws on pollution of the environment including noise. i hope pollution and the environment are 'hot' ASEAN topics now.

And, if it works, please give me any advice you can on obtaining a Visa for my Thai gf to go with me to Switzerland)

Cheers, Will, Good luck!

Yeah but if the guy has permits in place then your idea won't work! If not that it has a chance! But also don't forget he is living in the sticks, in my case the nearest Police station was 10km away!! (and also the guy had the permits in place)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, siftasam said:

I had a similar problem.

Cheers, Will, Good luck!

Wow.....thanks for that....excuse my ignorance, but what is a "police box"?

Re: Your girlfriend, the only advice I can give is to make sure that Swiss immigration think/know your gf has every reason to return to Thailand.....employment, property, kids, elderly parental care.

Very distressing had similar from house up the road 5 years ago, nothing you can do stops the bass, earplugs and noise cancelling headphones and you can still hear it. Woman next door to him moved out and never came back, still up for sale and the lady opposite has a nervous breakdown. Luckily these problems rarely last for ever, few make any money selling coffee although it will have a novelty effect for a time. If it lasts buying him out sounds the best plan. What music does he play?

Edited by clivebaxter
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

A trader has bought a small strip of land right up against our boundary, opened a small cafe and installed a massive loudspeaker system and karaoke machine.

In my opinion, do absolutely nothing, continue with the build as irritating as it is, I say this because it sounds to me that his business won't last long being where I imagine it is and with music blaring.

Hopefully I am right and she shuts shop by the time you move in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

Very distressing had similar from house up the road 5 years ago, nothing you can do stops the bass, earplugs and noise cancelling headphones and you can still hear it. Woman next door to him moved out and never came back, still up for sale and the lady opposite has a nervous breakdown. Luckily these problems rarely last for ever, few make any money selling coffee although it will have a novelty effect for a time. If it lasts buying him out sounds the best plan. What music does he play?

You know....I was so stressed....I have no idea!!!

if  it persists I  suggest OPERA  is very relaxing on your own massive sound system right next to his  patrons  wall, those systems actually  are  pretty  cheap, also leave a concrete  mixer  going day n night with some gravel  in right next to him when they  open, stick it  on a timer to go  off  at 12  which is  a  time they think is  ok to make  anoise  until.

• Haha 1

They do have noise laws ... good luck.

Dealing with a similar situations, a very small, smelly, illegal. chicken farm next door.  It IS being sorted though, and he's been told to shut down.  Next ... clean up and covering the soil with fresh dirt.  Hopefully done before house is finished.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MJCM said:

Up in the sticks no one cares. Our problem was that even the village chief was a frequent customer of that shop so he wouldn't do .....

If you were living in a small city then no issue, zoning laws yes, but in the sticks NOPE

You are incorrect. There are laws, even in out in the sticks villages.

If the village head does nothing then go to the local sub district office. They will take action. I'm speaking from experience.

• Thanks 1

You could invest in a commercial strength sound system, with large speakers on the fenceline facing his venue.

Being a Wagner fan you wish to share the divine music of your hero during his opening hours, and of course Wagner must be played at max volume

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

It is set back from a country road, very little traffic, but power lines run along the road and water supply is not an issue for us (I am told)

OK I was thinking he wouldn't have been there until you brought services with you.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Incorrect. In fact, as soon as I read that statement I stopped reading your post.

Do you think a farang living in a rural village can actually say or do anything except keep their mouth shut ? please tell me , I can use some advice on how to deal with all these yaba , mentally ill , glue heads , i cant remember how many times the house and store has been robbed and other peoples homes also, that i am surrounded by on my soi. The police will do nothing, I have installed cameras all around seem to help a little. the way they deals with it is when caught people get to beat the <deleted> out of them and then life goes on till the next time.  there is a big difference between you living in a city and a rural village

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1