US Imported Tens of Millions of Used Medical Gloves From Thailand, Reports Say

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

In Thailand, numerous illegal enterprises sprung up during the pandemic, where migrant labourers have been washing and trying to restore the original appearance of disposable medical gloves given their high global demand, CNN said. The product was then shipped to different countries. A months-long investigation revealed that millions of such counterfeit and second-hand nitrile gloves ended up in the US, according to import records and distributors who bought them.

Safe trusted Thailand.... USA ain't gonna like that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The video reportage on CNN is well worth watching.

Tens of millions of filthy, used medical gloves imported into the US

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/24/health/medical-gloves-us-thailand-investigation-cmd-intl/index.html

They may have been used ( I wasn't there, so don't know how true it is ), but as the OP reports they were cleaned prior to being sent how can they have been filthy? No nurse with sense would use something that looked used or dirty when it came out of the packet. To escape exposure they must have looked like new when put on.

• Confused 1

CNN Investigation: Tens of millions of filthy, used medical gloves imported into the US

By Scott McLean, Florence Davey-Attlee, Kocha Olarn and Tim Lister, CNN

211022151827-01-us-medical-gloves-intl-cmd-exlarge-169.jpg

(CNN) Trash bags stuffed full of used medical gloves, some visibly soiled, some even blood-stained, litter the floor of a warehouse on the outskirts of Bangkok.

Nearby is a plastic bowl, filled with blue dye and a few gloves. Thai officials say migrant laborers had been trying to make the gloves look new again, when Thai health authorities raided the facility in December.

There are many more warehouses just like it still in operation today in Thailand -- trying to cash in on the demand for medical-grade nitrile gloves, which exploded with the coronavirus pandemic. And they're boxing up millions of these sub-standard gloves for export to the United States, and countries around the world amid a global shortage that will take years to ease.

Full story: https://edition.cnn.com/2021/10/24/health/medical-gloves-us-thailand-investigation-cmd-intl/index.html

CNN.jpg

-- © Copyright CNN 2021-10-25

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Tens of millions of already used nitrile medical gloves were imported into the United States from Thailand during the pandemic

Just keep your eye on the Thai media reports. I'm absolutely sure that the Thai higher-ups will put it down to some sort of simple mistake, and that'll be the end of it...!!!

7 minutes ago, bluemoon58 said:

Just keep your eye on the Thai media reports. I'm absolutely sure that the Thai higher-ups will put it down to some sort of simple mistake, and that'll be the end of it...!!!

Definitely a misunderstanding...... so everything is ok. 

1 hour ago, malibukid said:

i heard that the American tried to confront the Thai Company and was accused of attempted kidnapping?  but released. and sent packing back to the States. how dare he. is this true?  touchy egos, loss of face. typical.  i hope the FTC makes some arrest here and all responsible are extradited to the States for criminal prosecution. 

There's lots of migrant workers who would love a spell in a US jail.

36 minutes ago, Pravda said:
    38 minutes ago, bbko said:

What other medical supplies have they recycled and sold internationally?  Syringes, needles?

No, those just wash up on my tiny, otherwise pristine and isolated beach about once a month.....

Really p1$$e$ me off.

• Haha 2

I wouldn’t be so quick to put the blame on a country without knowing who owns / owned the

Trading.. could be those fellows across the water.. Tnere are news articles about people trying

to get their money back the old fashioned way... 

3 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

Ask yourself this question........why is there a sign in every hotel in Thailand that requests you not to dispose of prophylactics in the toilet?  :coffee1:

Edit:  To clarify for NNE speakers, a prophylactic is (amongst other things) the old skool word for a condom.  But just realised that even the Covid 19 vaccine is a prophylactic.  Go figure.

I have figured,the definition is "preventative" 

Thailand seems unaware that a reputation is like virginity, once lost it can't be retrieved. You have the image you have, yes it's sleazy but it brings in money, be content with what you have.

You will never be a high class destination for rich families or a center for trusted business enterprises because your courts of law cant be trusted. You are trying to enter the first world with a third world mind set, your politicians are no different from those of the first world, power hungry, greedy and self serving but unlike the first world your citizens have been taught through example to be corrupt and void of moral considerations which leaves you with a civil service which is fearful and immoral and so cant act as an unbiased counterweight to the self serving desires of your political masters.

You aren't lost my dear Thailand, you just have to realize what you really are and face the world unashamedly, your amorality can be quite charming in fact, holding out one hand for the bribe and then the other one saying OK that was the bribe now where is the the baksheesh, you will always keep us smiling but don't expect us to take you seriously. 

• Like 2