Do I still need to carry 20,000 baht cash to enter Thailand?

This used to be a big thing before but I haven't read about it lately.  Do Farang still need to have 20k baht in cash on their person when entering Thailand?  Read horror stories before that Thailand didn't care if you have 1 million baht in your bank account you were denied entry if you could not prove you had 20k baht in cash.  

• Confused 1

You would just about never be required to show equivalent to 20k baht. 

However keep in mind that one of best ways to obtain baht in Thailand is to exchange foreign currency at places such as SuperRich green. So bring some cash. Think limit without declaration is 10k USD. 

20k baht is not big amount.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

But they'll have insurance, this is one of the required documents before TP issued.

Wait for the thousands of positive tests to start occurring and we'll find that Thailand is inserted into the exclusions clause of many contracts, or the excess will be one arm and half a leg.

1 minute ago, Salerno said:

Baht or the equivalent in foreign currency - still a requirement, chances of being asked virtually nil.

The only guy I ever heard tell me he was asked to prove he had money at the border literally looked, smelled and dressed like a skid-row wino. Dunno why he found my local bar so comfortable.

Actually true story - this guy looked atrocious and claimed he'd been asked to "show me the money", which apparently he did.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, ifmu said:

now there the heck did u get this info ......... site your sources please 

Try like every Thai Embasssy and Consulate in an exempt country lol

"Travelers entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme must possess adequate cash of , or equivalent to 20,000 Baht per person or 40,000 Baht per family"

https://thaiconsulatela.org/en/visa-exemption/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, bojo said:

It's 20K USD or equivalent amount in other currency................................

check it,... as i noticed 15K USD value  .... in any foreign money , in or out Thailand as they changed it a few times , but could be you are right too for 20K

Edited by david555

On 11/9/2021 at 3:58 PM, AlexCanada said:

This used to be a big thing before but I haven't read about it lately.  Do Farang still need to have 20k baht in cash on their person when entering Thailand?  Read horror stories before that Thailand didn't care if you have 1 million baht in your bank account you were denied entry if you could not prove you had 20k baht in cash.

Lived here 12+ years, entered several times a year and never once been asked. 

Many times I've arrived with just a couple hundred baht for the taxi home.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You would just about never be required to show equivalent to 20k baht. 

However keep in mind that one of best ways to obtain baht in Thailand is to exchange foreign currency at places such as SuperRich green. So bring some cash. Think limit without declaration is 10k USD. 

20k baht is not big amount.

That's why I always have that in euros on me when I arrive now ...

They had begun turning several people back as I recall before the pandemic.

In nearly 40 years of entering and departing the Kingdom I have never once been asked anything about my financial situation.  Like another poster stated, I too have at times just entered the country with maybe 700-1000 baht to insure I had enough money for the taxi ride home.  

• Like 1

On 11/9/2021 at 9:01 AM, jackdd said:

But in the past they only asked for it if the IO was looking for a reason to deny entry to somebody who in the IO's personal opinion was staying too long in Thailand on tourist visas.

This is very true and they wouldn't even let you go to an ATM a few metres away.  I also haven't heard of it for a while - we'll know things are back to normal when they start it again.

On 11/10/2021 at 7:29 AM, Gsxrnz said:

Wait for the thousands of positive tests to start occurring and we'll find that Thailand is inserted into the exclusions clause of many contracts, or the excess will be one arm and half a leg.

1,000's ???? 

Any evidence for that Mr Doom and Gloom? ???? .....at 0.1% (and that included ASQ arrivals) it will take a lot more tourists to get to the 1,000's bracket.

Dug this up:

New Proof Of Cash Requirement For All Tourists Entering Thailand

As of 19th February 2010, all tourists entering Thailand are now required to have a minimum of 10,000 Thai Baht in cash on their person when they go through Immigration

All tourists entering Thailand now need to be able to show that they have a minimum amount of money on their person before they are allowed through Immigration.

The amounts vary for different visas:
1. Transit Visa holder: Must hold minimum THB 10,000 per passenger or THB 20,000 per family.
2. Tourist Visa holder: Must hold minimum THB 20,000 per passenger or THB 40,000 per family.
3. Visa on Arrival: Must hold minimum THB 10,000 per passenger or THB 20,000 per family.
4. Non Immigrant Visa holder: Must hold minimum THB 20,000 per passenger or THB 40,000 per family.

Most tourists come to Thailand and get a visa on arrival (technically a visa waiver) so will be required to hold 10,000 Baht. This money can be in an equivalent foriegn currency, but it must be in cash – no credit cards are accepted as proof of funds.

I actually got asked - Once.

People can speculate why Thai officials seem to only spot check incoming foreigners for funds- based on appearances of destitution/poverty, etc.  But the law clearly states you need that 20,000 Baht or equivalent in cash.  

Around $1000 Aussie dollars.  I carry just that amount or have 20,000 Thai Baht stuffed in an envelope ready for the return trip.  

I can get a far better exchange rate with Transfer Wise online exchange than any transfer booth in Thailand, so for those with a Thai bank account, it may be much wiser to transfer the rest of your funds that way and just keep that minimum cash requirement for immigration. 

Withdrawing from an ATM at an airport firstly attracts pretty poor exchange rates from overseas banks and secondly there are posts from the past of stories from foreigners refused to be allowed to use ATMs when they have been found to be short of funds, and refused entry. 

So don't rely on that theory IMO.  Yes, you may have gotten away with it for years, but immigration have been known to be fickle.  But ... up to you!!!

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

To apply for a tourist visa you need the equivalent of 20,000 baht in the bank.

I just noticed this on the e-visa application.

So I need to get a bank statement for a tourist visa now?

Or is it OK that I print out from on line banking?

I assume I can just ignore all the stuff not needed for my type of visa?

image.png.9317d4eff89f3e0685077983a5652da6.png

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

To apply for a tourist visa you need the equivalent of 20,000 baht in the bank.

Sorry forgot to ask. This is what they say you need for a tourist visa.

But there is some kind of declaration that can be downloaded as well.

Is that for other type of visas? Or do I need it?

image.png.c50fca4d04fbaf251ad3737bdb83534c.png