Several mask brands do not meet standards: TCC

webfact

7c89c50cf8b90fd4e36830735f2097d6_small.jpg

By Tanakorn Sangiam

BANGKOK (NNT) - An independent consumer protection agency said only a few face masks sold in the market are up to standards, with only 3 out of 14 brands tested meeting the quality criteria. Thailand Consumer Council is now urging the government to enforce mandatory requirements for all single-use face masks, similar to those classified as medical masks.

Thailand Consumer Council (TCC) disclosed an alarming result from their inspection of face masks sold to general consumers, where most of the models failed to meet the standards for general use.

From a series of tests measuring each mask’s properties including airborne particle filtration and breathability, the TCC found only 3 brands from 14 classified as masks for general use to meet the standards.

In another test conducted on 27 mask brands sold as medical and surgical masks, the TCC said only 3 brands passed the test.

The council has also tested the quality of 19 N95 respirator brands, from which 13 brands passed the quality assessment.

TCC Secretary-General Saree Aongsomwang said the results from these tests would provide consumers with beneficial information when purchasing a face mask.

The council also urges the Thailand Industrial Standards Institute to enforce a mandatory standard for all types of single-use face masks, which would require all masks sold in Thailand to comply with such specifications.

nnt.jpg
  • Haha 2

I wonder what face saving excuse they have for not creating such a standard when they first mandated the use of masks. 

Surely when they introduced the regulations it said something along the lines of "Masks must meet the following..........."

• Like 1

Most of the masks people buy come from street vendors and are unbranded (aside from a small Chinese insert showing the name of a factory), so I'm not sure how this would even work unless they actively ban the sale of those cheap masks - which won't happen.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rwill said:

Why not tell everyone the 3 good brands?

That comes next once they have figured out how best to make money for their own pockets

If a government mandates the wearing of masks then they should supply them free

• Like 2

All 14 brands meet the standards for showing others that you are an upstanding, comforming, virtuous member of society. All 14 brands stop you getting dirty, accusing looks and a fine from the Popo. So they're all equally effective as far as most people are concerned.

• Haha 1

That's not breaking news and we have known that for a long time.

It's a worldwide problem with flawed surgical masks and cloth masks that offers very little protection.

It's a mystery why cloth masks are still allowed.

Edited by Virt

Another money making scheme me thinks !

Drive  out the competition  by proclaiming the masks that Thai's and others wear, suddenly don't meet someone from the govt quality approval standards 555

I wear two at all times, when outside. Korea's KF 94's ! They probably are counterfeit seeing that my wife buys them online in quantity . IHNI. I haven't got sick so it must be working ????

Old saying, if it isn't  broke, don't fix it

Edited by riclag