Kitchen working surface height?

OneMoreFarang

What is your experience with the kitchen working surface height in Thailand?

As we all know there are many couples with a tall farang and a short Thai girl.

For me standard height kitchen surfaces are fine. My gf would like to have them lower. And she is the one who does most of the cooking.

How did you solve this problem?

I think for a new kitchen to maybe have normal height on one side and "Thai girl height" on the other side.

Is that realistic and a good idea?

What are the options? What did you do?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What did you do?

Allowed the wife to design the kitchen as she uses it, all I had do was pay for it. The way I figured was that as long as I can reach my cappuccino machine, I'm good.

In hindsight, she should have put in two laundry tub size wash basins for the amount of washing up she does in there with the single basin, that and an instant hot water heater, but hey, I am not the one in there am I, plus I saves a few dollars on that.

Edit: Wife is 167cm for whatever that is worth ????

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2

This is what I told someone 12 years ago. I didn't get any feedback or complaints:

image.png.c434231240060dc421a03b4add30dfb8.png

The standard height for kitchen counter is 87 cm.
The standard depth for kitchen counter is 59 cm.
The cupboard on the wall must be 44 cm above the counter.
The wall cupboard is 30 cm deep (same as my house).
The wall cupboard is 72 cm high.

https://www.diydata.com/materials/kitchen_units/kitchen_units.php

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, tonray said:

Our counter tops are 90 cm which are good for me and no complaints from GF (a good height for opening Grab Food orders apparently). 

Ok, fair enough.

My gf is a very good cook and I want that she is comfortable in the kitchen actually cooking. ???? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MJCM said:

Ours is @90cm (believe standard height) and for me at 190cm it's no problem. My wife is 165cm and she is also happy with it!!

Same.  She likes it higher than the Thai style.  90 is I think standard for USA and Europe.

16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

For me standard height kitchen surfaces are fine. My gf would like to have them lower. And she is the one who does most of the cooking.

How did you solve this problem?

Let her do the cooking ?

I was doing some research into this myself the other week, there is an Asian standard, I can’t find the link now. If you speak to a kitchen design company they will help you.

• For feeling comfortable while cooking, the food preparation surfaces should be 3-4 inches below the elbow of the cook.
  • For avoiding splashing of hot oils, the cooking surfaces should be 5-6 inches below the elbow of the cook.
  • For kneading bread and rolling dough, low level surfaces should be 8 inches below the elbow of the cook.

• Thanks 1

Too low is the short answer ... hahahaha.

I had mine built at 1.000 m cause I'm tall, and I love the higher tops. The missus in 5'8" ... so she's cool. Standard in the 'old country' is 900 mm, with stand alone islands higher at times. 900 is okay, but for me at 6'3" after a time of food prep it gets uncomfortable.