Would you agree now could be the time to buy bricks and mortar again?

webfact

4 hours ago, LarrySR said:

How long do reinforced concrete towers last?

A 12 story condo in Florida collapsed last year, crushing 100 occupants.

Apparently there was bad design, construction shortcuts, corrupt city officials, greedy developer, crappy maintenance.....that would never happen in Thailand, right?

I predict the towers built in the 1990s will start to be condemned or collapse before their 40th birthday.

You may be right, but dont forget there are concrete buildings in Rome that are literally thousands of years old, google Pantheon

Pantheon concrete, Built in Rome in the 2nd century AD, the Pantheon is a massive concrete building 
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

You may be right, but dont forget there are concrete buildings in Rome that are literally thousands of years old, google Pantheon

Yes there are Roman buildings and bridges that are still standing-I love the Pantheon-but just reflect on what might be the penalty for faulty design or construction: for the engineer or contractor it would not be pretty, and they would be lucky if it were quick.

My family's real estate development company have boomed in covid times.  In terms of rental properties there is very little rental stock in Chiang Rai and what there is, is mostly horrible, prices have not dropped for decent rental properties here at all. 

Regarding sales, you can tell immediately looking at a property whether it will sell, and most won't sell in a decade or more, not only must it be well presented but location is really important.  The good real estate agents push what they know will sell, agents need to be pro-active and show a customer not what he asks for but what he needs and will actually buy.  For example, a customer may ask for a single storey home with 5 bedrooms, a good agent will ask why single storey? why 5 bedrooms?  The answer could well be single storey because the buyer is worried about getting old, 5 bedrooms may be because he needs 3 bedrooms and 2 offices.  If the right questions aren't asked then a multiple storey home with elevator and 2 offices would be overlooked by the poor agent and a good agent will close the sale.

We had a sale where an agent rented a house to a customer who comes to Thailand for 6 months of the year.  She didn't KYC, she didn't know their long term aim was to buy somewhere.  Another pro-active agent did ask the right questions, did some sums and demonstrated it was cheaper to buy one of our new houses in the long term and they sold them one of our 3 bedroom houses.  When I told the first agent who rented them the original house, she said I was mistaken because her customer wasn't in the market to buy.  She lost a rental customer and lost the sale on our house which she also had listed.  All because she processed enquiries, wasn't pro-active and didn't understand her customers real needs.

It's like the old job interview trick where the interviewer says "Sell me this pen?".  What he's looking for is questions to qualify what he uses to write with, what problems he has with what he currently uses, what he needs, and then match his product, the pen, to those needs.  There's a saying in sales "Two ears, one mouth, use them in proportion".

if you don't understand what your customer really needs, you'll do a poor job and more than likely lose the sale or at best sell them something they will regret and blame you for later.  I have a story about one of those too, a friend came to a party at one of my houses and said "Why didn't my agent show me this?  it's exactly what I wanted", it's the same agent btw.

I suspect the big agents here have a founder who knows what he's doing and sales agents who are mostly clueless.

I also predict boom times coming when the country opens up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

We hope and pray, that occasionally your posts will actually contain some content, that is relevant to something. 

We hope and pray. that occasionally your posts will actually contain some concrete data that is relevant to something you are claiming.   But, it's always, a friend of a friend said...  Or, I know a friend and he told me...  Or, I talked to so and so and he claims...  And, plenty from you, too.   Still waiting for you to back up your claim that  '...likely less than 50 wealthy Chinese came to Thailand in 2019'.   Really?  With nearly 11 million Chinese visitors that year?

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

We hope and pray, that occasionally your posts will actually contain some content, that is relevant to something. 

Thanks -- I have a friend whose posts are always relevant to something. Maybe next time he can help me out.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

If you want to invest in property do so in the UK where prices continue to boom due to Foreign investors (Russian and Chinese Oligarchs)  especially in London. A 3m bht house in Thailand would be worth 20m in London . 6m bht would only get you a 2up 2 down in the Welsh valleys. The answer to Thailands property black hole is to allow full foreign ownership. Until then there will continue to be empty high rises and constant slump of sale and rental values!

I'm bullish!   I see a lot of pessimism.  That's the best time to buy, when there is blood in the streets.  Those that say it is a bad time to buy because rents are low are mistaken.   This is the best time to buy.  Say you will save a lot on a low long-term lease?  Compare that to lost appreciation.  'Skyrocketing' construction costs?  That too will only boost appreciation.  I like quality income properties in areas depressed by tourism.   Don't worry about income today, expect double to triple the value in five to ten years' time.  The risk is capital gains tax, exchange rate (if you hope to convert), and the possibility of new property taxes.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Until there is a true Real-estate board or commission and prices are done on comparative size and location as far as a truthful appraisal it is a total feces show in LOS.  

Land office will give you the appraised value of any purchase, land and or house.  Land, exact appraisal, house, exact also, I think, but will advise what you should be paying per m².   Personally I haven't and wouldn't pay more, and so far, haven't needed to.

Although I've sold at much higher than the appraised rate.  Everything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.  Haven't wanted anything that bad, worth paying silly prices for, aside from new vehicles here, as silly priced, but MSRP, so can't argue, unless full up options and only then can you bargain down from that silly price.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

He looked at condos in Jomtien. He walked into one of the nicest towers, looked at a 36th floor unit with panoramic views, and when he was quoted 28,000 a month, he offered 10,000. They settled on 13,000. He said the agent more or less admitted the building was nearly empty, and they could not rent to sell anything, at this time.

Nice bargaining. 13k on 36 floor deal.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Marvest said:

I'm bullish!   I see a lot of pessimism.  That's the best time to buy, when there is blood in the streets.  Those that say it is a bad time to buy because rents are low are mistaken.   This is the best time to buy.  Say you will save a lot on a low long-term lease?  Compare that to lost appreciation.  'Skyrocketing' construction costs?  That too will only boost appreciation.  I like quality income properties in areas depressed by tourism.   Don't worry about income today, expect double to triple the value in five to ten years' time.  The risk is capital gains tax, exchange rate (if you hope to convert), and the possibility of new property taxes.

Rent 13,000

Invest the rest in shares and bitcoin.

You reckon thai units beat bitcoin?

16 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Rent 13,000

Invest the rest in shares and bitcoin.

You reckon thai units beat bitcoin?

I don't know.  I believe owning Thai property will outpace renting in the years to come.  But I don't know if Bitcoin will do better.  I suspect maybe so.  I'm long in Bitcoin too.  Diversify!

Edited by Marvest

Sold 2 homes, and the only thing making a 'profit' was the appreciation of the land they sat on.  Brick & mortar part, simply breaking even on that part of the ROI, and the land was the money maker.

Not very interested in buying someone else's dream home. Find land in a good location, with a good view and a reasonable price. My Thai wife was interested in buying some land, we looked at many locations in our area and purchased a reasonably priced property, with a stunning view outside Chiang Mai for 400,000 baht about ten year ago. she has had offers of 2,000,000 baht for it. Unfortunately, you have to be willing to sell at the right price. She wants to keep it. For what, we will never build on it, sell and buy a revenue property I say.

• Like 1