COVID-19: Thailand reports 23,557 new coronavirus cases; 38 deaths, 16,131 recoveries

webfact

COV24.jpg

File photo

Thailand on Thursday (February 24) reported 23,557 new COVID-19 cases, 16,131 recoveries and 38 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

▶︎ Infections outside prisons: 23,329. Prisons: 228

▶︎ Recoveries: 16,131

Thursday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 2,794,350 with 22,768 deaths.

The news comes as Thailand is set to relax rules for international arrivals from March 1st despite the continual surge in COVID-19 infections in the country.

The Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) has decided to change the second COVID-19 RT-PCR test, currently required for overseas arrivals on their fifth day in the country, to a self-administered rapid antigen test and will reduce the amount of required insurance coverage from US$50,000 to US$20,000.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update24FEB).png

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-02-24

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

There is wide variation in test positivity

7-day average positivity (PCR only I guess)

2/21/2022   20.90%

2/24/2022  27.82%

Unless they just want everyone to get infected...well, probably too late for a 7-day shutdown to have much effect now.

35 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

That mortality rate seems quite high. It suggests to me that there is a massive undercount of confirmed cases. it's likely well over 100,000.

Probably an undercount of deaths too. Hard to know in Thailand. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

That mortality rate seems quite high. It suggests to me that there is a massive undercount of confirmed cases. it's likely well over 100,000.

That is 0.81% since the start of the pandemic. Given Omicron and the under counting of cases, it's likely to be ten times lower than that figure. or more. 

Havign said that, I did see some news yesterday that Omicron is 3/4 as likely to land you in hospital if you are unvaccinated, compared to delta. So Omicron is not that much less pathogenic than Delta, and still presents a problem for the unvaccinated.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Wait a minute. Anutin just said Thailand was #1 in the world, with regard to the control of Covid, and the response to this plague. Was he wrong? Was he overstating the facts, as usual? Was he grandstanding? Was it a blatant lie? Yes, it was. While the rest of the world is enjoying rapidly declining numbers, Thailand has not even begun to level off yet. Hug? What happened exactly?

Prayuth and Anutin should both be drafting their resignation letters. And Cha Cha should say:

I know, I know, I know. I should have reacted when the outbreak happened back in December of 2020 in Samut Sakhon, and done the right thing by shutting down just a 2km. perimeter around that seafood market that saw 900 cases in one day. 
I know. I should have taken the vaccine thing more seriously.
I know, I should have had a more qualified health minister.
I know, my pathological fear of the optics of a lockdown have causes hundreds of thousands many more cases than need be, and those deaths are my responsibity.
And I know, I should have been more diligent with the borders, I should have cracked down on corrupt immigration officials, and kept my promise to fight corruption, and I should have and could have done better.
Do you want me to resign now? I know what is what you are thinking. I probably should. It sure would be the right thing to do. But, doing the right thing would be so alien for me. I am not sure I even know how to do that. 

WireAP_f2d5e865bde74bae9daa81a5434caea9_16x9_992.jpg

When did he make those statements??? In 2020 I bet. 

Thailand’s daily new COVID-19 cases reach record high on Thursday

49531042877_e86ca079f2_c.jpg

Photo: The US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)

Thailand’s daily new COVID-19 cases reached a new high today (Thursday) with the official number recorded at 23,557, surpassing the record set on August 13th, 2021. Actual infections are, however, believed to be much higher, with a further 22,240 people having tested positive today, using rapid antigen tests, who are awaiting RT-PCR confirmation, bringing possible new infections today to as many as 45,797.

The daily death toll is on the rise as well, from 22 cases on February 17th to 38 cases today.

Of the 23,557 infections, 23,329 are locally acquired and 228 are among international arrivals. The Disease Control Department reported that, among the 45,797 cases found during the past 24 hours, 905 of them have developed lung infections and 240 of them require ventilators.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-daily-new-covid-19-cases-reach-record-high-on-thursday/

Logo-top-.png
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-02-24

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:
  3 hours ago, anchadian said:
Expand  

Actually, mortality rate in Thailand is lower than US. US Covid deaths in the period from Dec. 19 to Jan. 15, when Omicron infections were at a peak, averaged 9 per 1,000 COVID cases (0.9% Mortality rate).

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/covid-is-less-severe-with-omicron-than-delta-us-study-suggests-2022-01-25/

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sanmyintmaung said:

Actually, mortality rate in Thailand is lower than US. US Covid deaths in the period from Dec. 19 to Jan. 15, when Omicron infections were at a peak, averaged 9 per 1,000 COVID cases (0.9% Mortality rate).

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/covid-is-less-severe-with-omicron-than-delta-us-study-suggests-2022-01-25/

According to CCSA’s data, 1,032 people have died of Covid from 547,358 confirmed cases in 2022, representing a mortality rate of 0.19 per cent.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/37827/covid-deaths-among-unvaccinated-rises-but-thailand-still-doing-better-than-region/

• Like 1