Are we better off ignoring the news for our own peace of mind?

webfact

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Meanwhile personally for my own sanity, I plan to switch off my BBC News app and only watch movies and TV series for the time being.

Thai drama series is damaging for your health, everything else I can handle.

• Like 1

I have an American friend here who watches/listens/or reads no news from anywhere.  Consequently he knows nothing about things foreigners living here need to be kept informed about such as insurance requirements, immigration changes etc..  Even with the easy access to free vaccines he never knows where or when they are being given. 

23 minutes ago, dlclark97 said:

I have an American friend here who watches/listens/or reads no news from anywhere.  Consequently he knows nothing about things foreigners living here need to be kept informed about such as insurance requirements, immigration changes etc..  Even with the easy access to free vaccines he never knows where or when they are being given. 

Just ask. Dont need news.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Meanwhile personally for my own sanity, I plan to switch off my BBC News app and only watch movies and TV series for the time being.

Watch it, and allow it to make you angry, then let that anger out with your disdain vocally towards the Ruskies.

image.png.49926c4b349544e6b7b1995af70683a1.pngOnly way that this can end is to show them vocally how barbaric they are acting and or allowing.

3 hours ago, connda said:

Take the time to learn more about the region that isn't filtered through the lens of Western main-stream media.
Some background regarding Ukraine that a sixth grader could understand.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/map-explainer-ukraine/

Good info, but does nothing to detract from the fact that Russia is the aggressor and that the Ukraine wants to become a state on its own, free from Russian influence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

I know a few Russians due to the International School where my daughter goes and they are all feeling a little embarrassed about this and in no way agree with the invasion.

Yeah sure but if they were for it would they tell you?

3 hours ago, Chainsaw said:

I got rid of my TV years ago and never regretted it. Watching the news was always depressing, it was always doom and gloom hyped to the max. I realised that all I could do about any of the disasters in the world was worry about them and stress myself out. Since dumping the tv I've realised just how much propaganda is dressed up as 'news'. No thanks.

And here you are in the middle of a debate about a war. 

People dumped tvs because social media provides faster updates than CNN ever could. 

Tvs for many these days is purely for watching Netflix 

Not having ever been in a 'Russia/Ukraine' situation It's difficult to appreciate what people on both sides must be feeling. A few hours ago I was reading about the ISS and wondered what the two Russians on board might be feeling...and the others alongside of them. I mean, those astronauts can't just 'walk out of the door'.

• Haha 1

To each his own...  I personally prefer not ignoring negative information, regardless of it's effect on my mental state.  My experience tells me a person is more likely to be harmed by what he doesn't know than what he does.

I hesitate to post a link here concerning Putin's popularity among Russians.  The credibility of the data will be disputed by the allegedly "embarrassed" Russians and Russophiles.  If you do the search, however, I think you will find an overwhelming quantity of reports from various credible sources that report his popularity is high and not negatively impacted by his actions in Ukraine.  If you are someone who is uncomfortable hearing unpleasant information, my apologies...

Edited by NotReallyHere
typo
  • Like 1

I just found out Russia invaded Ukraine in 2014.

Has no idea who Jeffrey Epstein was until recently. 

I haven't watched any TV for 8 years apart from in hotels. 

Happy to hear about conflict rather than Covid. 

I'd be depressed if I watched news all the time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, zyphodb said:

The main problem is distinguishing fact from propaganda, which seems to be mostly what the mainstream media are coming out with these days on all sides... 

Well, just keep a travel case packed , ready to leave quickly and make sure to have emergency cash and a bottle of your favorite spirit to keep you company.  

Would be easier to suggest that any such peace of mind might or might not manifest regarding the type/variety of stimulation one absorbs......as news bias, opinions and punditry derives in a wide range of flavours. 

Picking one's comfort zone or developing an indifference - yet still unyielding to the wall of convention - is quite worthy among the incognitive masses. Self made paths are more worthy and healing.

I do my best to stay informed I’m not an ostrich what I see unfolding in Ukraine to me is terrifying similar to what happened when hitler annexed the Sudetenland and chekslovakia.the Ukrainians held a vote and 92% of them want to be independent from Russia sadly another fledgling democracy is being snuffed out another dark day on our sad little planet imo

• Like 1