People are getting stupid-er or am I just getting older/wiser?

VinnieK

12 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Years ago a trade/profession was essentially paying someone who had acquired knowledge in a certain field. Nowadays that knowledge is available to everyone.

Yes I like fixing my own cars as well. The knowledge of which you speak has always been available. It just depends on how much time one is prepared to devote to finding it. 

We don't seek out an "expert" because he has more knowledge than us but because he has more experience. Not the same.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

It depends on how you define intelligence or knowledge. Nowadays, I dont need to have great bodies of knowledge committed to memory, I just need to know where to find it.

Years ago a trade/profession was essentially paying someone who had acquired knowledge in a certain field. Nowadays that knowledge is available to everyone.

I happen to know where the panama canal is, but if I don't, am I stupid or just have no need for that knowledge. If I start shipping goods from Asia to Europe then that knowledge would probably benefit me, otherwise not.

The ability to find, process, filter information is probably a more relevant measure of intelligence. I know that cleaning my teeth stops decay, I have no need to know who invented the toothbrush. 

Intelligence is well defined, since a long time, there is no need to define it again.

And knowledge is a lot more than looking up facts one by one. I.e. a successful engineer must know many things by heart to be able to imagine and realize solutions. A medical doctor need to know many details of the human body to understand how it works and what might be wrong. 

Facts, or what some people claim are facts, are available to everybody. Knowledge is not. And just because someone on twitter or fb or YouTube tells us some "facts" that doesn't mean this information is correct.

• Love It 2

^ But not everybody writes a book.

A Haynes manual will tell you how to fix a car. But not necessarily what to fix.

The getting paid for experience bit is about how much time the payer wishes to spend to accumulate said knowledge. 

Many people hire a builder to build them a house but all the house building knowledge is supposedly available to all.

Edited by VocalNeal

I think you are right.. the main thing in any knowledge is forward thinking... As my name states........ EG dont build on sand. Or put a window in with out support above. Look before you leap... Even the simplest things these days we ask why? 

2 hours ago, Gluuay yai said:
6 hours ago, stoner said:

lets hear from the president.....

Expand  

Best documentary ever ????

I heard about that movie only this year and because it was highly recommended I watched it. Great!

It's supposed to play 500 years in the future (from when it was created). Now I got the impression that it too not even 10 years. Amazing, and sad at the same time.

Here is the opening scene, also very relevant for this thread.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DaLa said:

I used to ‘help’ the assistants at 7/11 by offering a 1000 baht note together with 11.75 baht for an 811.75 baht purchase.

I’ve now learned this is a total waste of time. Problem is I nearly have 1 million baht in 25 and 50 satang coins.

ok not to be a total jerk here but in a thread where we are talking about people getting stupiderer you go on to tell everyone you are sitting on like 30k usd in coins. ahhhhhh

• Haha 2

Just now, DaLa said:

I used to ‘help’ the assistants at 7/11 by offering a 1000 baht note together with 11.75 baht for an 811.75 baht purchase.

I’ve now learned this is a total waste of time. Problem is I nearly have 1 million baht in 25 and 50 satang coins.

Dude..come on.

Are you pocketing the copper coins?