British family makes desperate plea for grandfather seriously ill in Thailand

webfact

The issue with being "self-insured" is that when the money dries up
you'd expect someone else to jump in, if there is anyone that is, and that bills for long term problems are never 'final'.

We were asked to bail a friend out; acute appendicitis, after that he decided to go back home, no one got their money back.
Another one ran out of money at 74 with increasing health problems, he killed himself.
Recently I have been asked to help set up emergency funding for another person well in his 80's.

There can be a long time between getting ill and dying. Be prepared.

Edited by orchis
clarity
  • Like 2

I have read that there is a fund for ex professional footballers in the UK for situations like this that is funded by the professional footballers playing today . Must be 10 years back that i read about the fund . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Not many people refuse treatment when you need to goto the hospital.

The article is typically what happens. You end up there and the system takes over. They don't just let you die. Your treated and the bills pile up.

What are you going to do if you have a heart attack or are in pain?

Longest I've been in a Thai hospital is six days. Government hospital, so only about $1,000 all in.

Interested to see what the tab will be when my gallbladder comes out in Dec.

5 hours ago, roo860 said:

You know what league both these teams played in? No you don't, It's better sometimes to keep your comments to yourself when you know nothing about the guys past life and what he actually did.

Think we know what if 'didnt' do... that was to get some insurance.. 

4 hours ago, orchis said:

as per his go f me page he has no insurance.

As with many of the other posts, this seems to miss the point. Nobody is suggesting the John has a "Go Fund Me" page. He is in an ICU on a ventilator, and probably knows nothing about this, or the rate at which his bills are mounting up, and is powerless to do anything about it anyway. His family in UK are the ones footing the bill, and presumably trying the GFM option.

• Thumbs Up 1

I tell people all the time sign up and make payments into the social sercuity scheme, about 450 baht per month. after several months you will be able to get free medical services and tablets. plus when you paid in for years you can get a pension or lump sum too, plus child beneifit etc.  I had a heart attack got taken to hospital had a stent and ongoing treatment and tablets at no cost. Don't believe then pop down to the office or local government hospital and check it out or check it out on line. If you are working direct with a government school they are meant by law to put you on the scheme, pay towards it and when you lose your work, you will also be able to claim unemployment benifit for a period of time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, phetpeter said:

I tell people all the time sign up and make payments into the social sercuity scheme, about 450 baht per month. after several months you will be able to get free medical services and tablets. plus when you paid in for years you can get a pension or lump sum too, plus child beneifit etc.  I had a heart attack got taken to hospital had a stent and ongoing treatment and tablets at no cost. Don't believe then pop down to the office or local government hospital and check it out or check it out on line. If you are working direct with a government school they are meant by law to put you on the scheme, pay towards it and when you lose your work, you will also be able to claim unemployment benifit for a period of time.

I believe you but is it not so that to be able to contribute then you need to be employed here?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I would disagree, I don't expect (nor desire) to live to age 77.

But I would like to choose where I die, which is not in a UK nursing home.

No need to run up expensive medical bills, accept death when it comes.

I don't 'self-insure' or have any insurance, and don't intend to pay for long term medical care. It's not required, at 66 I've already had my life.

You got almost 40 positive responses, so obviously others agree.

I totally disagree especially at age 66 jeez, I certainly have lots of life left just as active as when I was 40 and thinking about the future all the time.  The average age of death for males I believe is the mid 70ś.  If I got sick and died at 66 I would feel somewhat cheated that is still not an old man in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I would disagree, I don't expect (nor desire) to live to age 77.

But I would like to choose where I die, which is not in a UK nursing home.

No need to run up expensive medical bills, accept death when it comes.

I don't 'self-insure' or have any insurance, and don't intend to pay for long term medical care. It's not required, at 66 I've already had my life.

Hmmm, easy to say if you are not in that position (like I am, but with funds)  and have a Thai family. It's not s eslk in the park.

But must award the main gov Siriraj Mahidol University Hospital in BKK top marks, 5* for my recent 5 day stay for a major op. But very difficult to navigate without a Thai speaker.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Most of us will face body deterioration and illness before we die.  Statistics show that most of the. money spent on healthcare is done in the last few years of life.  We can't all go out as Queen   Elisabeth did.  For some of us, hospice care is more appropriate than hospital care before we die.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, South said:

Whilst I have some sympathy for the guy and I hope he quickly recovers, these types of stories are becoming too frequent.

Bottom line, if you don't have the funds (to cover your medical/emergency bills), you shouldn't be here.

That doesn't take into account some situations. I was married to a Thai Head of Ward Nurse and got free health coverage. When we divorced I was already too old to get insurance and I would not have got automatic health care leaving Thailand and returning to my native country. Going somewhere else would give the same result.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, South said:

Whilst I have some sympathy for the guy and I hope he quickly recovers, these types of stories are becoming too frequent.

Bottom line, if you don't have the funds (to cover your medical/emergency bills), you shouldn't be here.

Your point is well taken.  It does, however raise the question: How much is enough to self-insure?

As we age here in Thailand, it seems that health insurance premiums rachet up every year.  And they're only too happy to slap exclusions on your policy whenever they can.

We've asked this question of several ICU nurses we know--in both public and private hospitals. For emergency services and many surgeries, I wouldn't self-insure for less than 500,000 Baht.  And would feel comfortable with 1,000,000. in a health savings account.

5 hours ago, connda said:

If he goes back the the UK, the NHS will put him on an 'end of life pathway.'
That is, if he can find a bed in an NHS facility. 
As a 70 year old all I can say is that he should have thought this out way before this.  77 imho is the span of a good life.  He should get his affairs in order and seek to check out as painlessly as possible.  Heck, 70 is a good life span.  I just want to be relatively comfortable before I go.  No asking family in the US to 'save me.'  My chosen family is here.  I'll die here. 

But, best of luck to Mr. John.

So your from the US and have the gall to slander the UK NHS. From your inane comment you obliviously have no idea about the NHS and the amazing service it provides. He would get a bed instantly and be provided with the best possible treatment "free of charge", he would be put on end of life care only if his condition deteriorated to a point where nothing else could be done.

• Like 2