Drunk foreigners in frame for destroying Bangkok buffalo art - Brit refuses to pay up or say sorry

webfact

5 hours ago, cdemundo said:

"British people are known for drinking a lot of alcohol and being noisy."

Nasty people are known for drinking a lot of alcohol and being noisy; not just British.

I have not noticed any particular nationality having a monopoly on this type of behavior.

Maybe I am just not observant.

Go to any holiday town on the coast in Spain and you will see that the vast majority of those drunk out of their skull (and misbehaving as a result of that) are the best and finest of Britain, both men and women. They just drink to get drunk. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

One Thai commenting under the name "Kritchai" on Facebook questioned whether a Thai would be let go if they couldn't pay compensation. 

It boggles the mind how anyone can think that a foreigner would get preferential treatment in Thailand.  I guess only foreigners really know how they can be treated.

• Like 1

Can always rely on the Asean Now mob to leap in with "deport them" and "blacklist them". 

No. They should be charged and processed like any other miscreant. If it takes a month or two or six for their case to get to court and they need to pay Bt100,000 or so for a lawyer bad luck for them. If found guilty then after making restitution they can be deported and blacklisted.

Everyone is entitled to due process, even if it is expensive. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Confiscate their cameras , they are sure to have photos of the incident on them,

then throw them out of the country ,not offering payment and refusing to apologise

you can see what kind of @rseholes they are .

regards worgeordie

Quality tourists maybe?

1 hour ago, it is what it is said:
10 hours ago, keith101 said:

If you have video evidence and witnesses then have him deported

whilst i far from condone his/her behaviour, it's hardly a deportation offense.

It depends how the damage was done... 

IF they deliberately kicked and damaged the buffalo, then I’m with the ‘hang-em-high brigade’... But, I suspect this is simply drunken stupidity gone wrong...  Did they just try and sit on it and it collapsed ???

They still need to pay for the damage though - but what is this worth ? - thats the highly debatable part. 

How much would a Thai pay for doing such damage when drunk ???

... Will the now sober previously drunk foreigners have to pay ’new’ price of this piece of art which is suddenly worth a lot more than it was ?

Also - should such pieces not be insured when displayed publicly ?

In the UK, if there wasn’t a sign saying do not sit the ‘drunk foreigners’ may have grounds for a claim because it collapsed ??... (I know, I know - we’re not in the UK... )... 

• Love It 1

4 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

Go to any holiday town on the coast in Spain and you will see that the vast majority of those drunk out of their skull (and misbehaving as a result of that) are the best and finest of Britain, both men and women. They just drink to get drunk. 

You mean go to any town that attracts masses of British Tourists and you’ll see drunk British tourist misbehaving... erm..  Confirmation bias much ??......:clap2:

I didn't see any British tourists getting drunk and misbehaving in Cancun last spring break... just loads of Americans...  erm... 

Go to anywhere which attracts a lot of a specific demographic of specific tourists and you’ll find some who misbehave.....  

... But to add...  it was reported that the tourists were both British and German....  The Brit haters conveniently overlooked that !!!...  

Thats not to defend these tourists, the did something wrong and should be held accountable to an acceptable level within the law... that doesn't mean extorting them for 500,000 baht for a 20,000 baht piece of art....  (I don’t know the value)... but the have caused damage and paying a reasonable amount for it is reasonable to expect.... BUT... who decides what a reasonable amount is ? - was the art already valued before it was damaged ?

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, ozimoron said:

The point is why give them an excuse?

They don't need an excuse to hate.

Anutin, a high profile bigot of note, shat the bed when a random westerner simply turned down a mask, that had been fingered by Anutin's sweaty, grubby mitts. 

Yet we were the "dirty ones"? 

Please, Minister...

11 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

And blacklisted.

After they pay compensation to replace the item and a fine for being idiots and spend 21 days in immigration detention (which they pay for) and deportation and blacklisting 10 years.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Who hasn’t mounted the horses outside the Hong Kong Jockey Club when leaving the HK Rugby 7’s ??? 

Never made it there, but Queen Victoria  and William Wallace's horse were mounted a few time in Aberdeen.

When I played for AGSFPs, I was amazed at the crazy Accountants/Lawyers etc and their antics after games. Once we lifted a Fiat onto a 2 foot wall. no idea how they would get it off the next day. 

• Like 1