British woman, 20, left for dead in hit and run motorbike crash faces being thrown out of Thai hospital despite horrifying injuries after being hit with £40,000 medical bill

webfact

screenshot_19277.jpg

Ruby Spry, 20, was riding a motorbike when a bike travelling in the opposite direction ploughed into her, leaving her with several broken bones and skin lacerations

Ruby Spry has been crowdfunding for her £40,000 hospital bill after accident 

By MADELEINE ROSS

A British traveller has been left with a hospital bill of approximately £40,000 after she was left for dead on the side of the road in Thailand.

Ruby Spry, 20, was riding a motorbike when a bike travelling in the opposite direction ploughed into her before driving off.

The driver left Ruby on the side of the road unconscious and with multiple injuries.

A passerby who saw her crumpled body made sure that she got to hospital, but the nightmare hasn't ended there for the young Cornish woman.

Her family say the hospital asked for £3,000 upfront before they would even administer painkillers and her insurance are not paying out.

And after an emergency operation, her family say her travel insurers are 'dragging their heels' leaving them with no choice but to try and crowdfund the bill, which currently stands at £34,000.

Her cousin Tegan Howard said on the GoFundMe site: 'Ruby arrived at hospital with a broken bone protruding from her right arm, four broken bones in her hand, a broken wrist, a broken collarbone and multiple lacerations all over her body.

Full story: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11757955/British-woman-20-faces-thrown-Thai-hospital-hit-40-000-medical-bill.html

image.jpeg

-- © Copyright Daily Mail 2023-02-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Sad 16
  • Thumbs Up 1

Normally the vehicle that caused the accident has to pay the costs...In this case the hit and runner...Stupid of the girl to travel without a travel insurance  of course. and of course the bill is too high, as probably for Thais it is much lower..1,6 million THB.. while expensive surgeries here on THais are not half of it, including hospitalization... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Without knowing exactly what the damage was one can't say that. A broken bone can be more than a simple fracture; was she in ICU,  was a GA needed, were rods or plates used, etc?

I read a list of the injuries and saw a picture of her.....I can say that and did.....

There was no mention of ICU in the UK press nor here so I suspect not. 

I have had a bad wrist injury where rods were used at BHP.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

And after an emergency operation, her family say her travel insurers are 'dragging their heels' leaving them with no choice but to try and crowdfund the bill, which currently stands at £34,000.

'Now the insurance company have said they're not going to pay out, we're fundraising to try and cover a portion of the costs we need to cover Ruby's surgery and hospital care.

I wonder why?