Swedish Man Arrested on Samui Island for 75 Days of Overstaying

webfact

I'm always surprised at why so many police officers are employed by govt posing in an unproductive capacity in news pictures who are obviously there to parade and inflict humiliation on the perpetrator of overstay for their heinous crime.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bill97 said:

IDC is the stop before the airport.  Even people with tickets are sometimes kept there for weeks or months.

I was told by somebody I know who spent a few days in there, some people have been in there for years, 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

I know an overstay is a bit naughty but does this guy really need to be paraded in front of the press? It's not like he has killed anyone for Christ sake. Just stamp his passport with an exclusion and put him on the next plane and be done with it.

Got to agree, the same thing happened last week with a woman and a man, 6 and 9 days overstay respectively. The only thing I can think of is the cops like having their picture taken?????

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yeah... But a photo Op with Six police and the ‘criminal’ paraded like a 'serial-killer’ they’ve recently apprehended.

Its all rather pathetic and juvenile.

... its as if the BiB are are shouting from the roof tops... Look at us,we’ve done some work!!!!” ......

He's wearing some cool sunglasses.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Oh please, get real. Those on an overstay know that they are breaking the law but it's not going to change their mind.

The crime doesn't fit the punishment. Just put him on a plane discreetly and ban him.

The punishment fits the crime regardless. What you are against is the "shame" of being in a press release. I kind of agree with that, but perhaps they mean it as a warning to others and at any rate they blurred his face and didn't give the full details. The Swede will be detained in IDC until he buys a ticket out, he has other worries right now than the press release.

What I find disappointing however is that the report doesn't mention what kind of "visa conditions" he infringed.

20 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Oh please, get real. Those on an overstay know that they are breaking the law but it's not going to change their mind.

The crime doesn't fit the punishment. Just put him on a plane discreetly and ban him.

Do that in Britain and the Immigration enforcement police would put you on the first plane for Rwanda. Or Catterick which is probably even worse.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

From the linked Article:

Does this mean the Police are patrolling checking the passports of foreigners now ???

Having police go up to tourists demanding to see their immigration status is not really a good thing for tourism....   The optics are quite appalling really. 

Only police above a certain rank, (don't know which one there are that many) can ask to see your passport.

3 hours ago, Red Forever said:

Jeez, bet you're a wow at parties!

If you don't want to break any laws in Thailand, just stay in your bed, or don't forget to put on your underwear.

Just because something is against the law does not always mean that it is right.

Immi Boys trying to save face after their fellow officers helped foreign criminals before Chuwit exposed them. Maybe it is time to hang a few overstayers in public from cranes. Never heard of anyone overstaying in Iran. That should satisfy the AN law and order types.

2 hours ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Which country would that be?

Probably the UK. If a person is living in any country, has no criminal record, behaves themselves, and working or having regular  funds sent and contributing to the economy, why not just leave them alone instead of all this visa and visa run nonsense?

20 hours ago, George Aylesham said:

Do that in Britain and the Immigration enforcement police would put you on the first plane for Rwanda. Or Catterick which is probably even worse.

So all these boat people who arrive every day are getting sent back? As John Wayne used to say "That'll be the day".

21 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:
21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

From the linked Article:

Does this mean the Police are patrolling checking the passports of foreigners now ???

Having police go up to tourists demanding to see their immigration status is not really a good thing for tourism....   The optics are quite appalling really. 

Expand  

Only police above a certain rank, (don't know which one there are that many) can ask to see your passport.

Thats also as I understand it... 

Only Commissioned officers can ask to see your ID (which must be government issued Photo ID - usually a Passport, but could be something else).

Only Immigration Officers can enquire as your Immigration status and thus request to actually see your Passport. 

That said: These regulations are hard to find and the Police themselves don’t follow their own rules, so its not completely uncommon for a non-commissioned police officer to ask to see your passport; they are just poorly trained and copy what they have learned from others rather than any specific training on the regulations / law. 

So.. the ‘law’ doesnt actually prevent the Police from doing what they want anyway... hence the question, does that mean the Police are doing random checks of foreigns Passports and Immigration status (on Samui) now ???...   IF so, this is pretty invasive for tourists and the optics are very poor. 

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, d4dang said:

Immi Boys trying to save face after their fellow officers helped foreign criminals before Chuwit exposed them. Maybe it is time to hang a few overstayers in public from cranes. Never heard of anyone overstaying in Iran. That should satisfy the AN law and order types.

I’m sure there are over-stayers in many countries (Some countries more than others)....   But those overstayers are just not paraded with 6 policemen on the News when caught.. because in most other countries the Police simply doing their routine job is not news worthy !!!... 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, NE1 said:

I've always wondered what happens if said person has no funds to purchase a ticket .

Do the Thai police foot the bill for his flight ?

No, the Embassy of Sweden. The overstayer then will be billed in its Homecountry....

Sounds like I was lucky! I arrived in Thailand to visit my family and was due to leave on the 20th January.

Due to a unsatisfactory last minute re-scheduling of the flight by Philipines Air, I cancelled this ticket as I was promised a refund (still waiting! ???? ). I then bought a new one-way ticket with China Airlines for the 17th.

Imagine my horror when I went through Immigration at BKK on the 17th to discover I should have left by the 15th under the new 45 day visa exemption rules. I complained at the counter about having to pay a 1,000 baht fine and was made to wait 10 more minutes before they allowed me to pay the fine and leave. I was not the only one at this counter as an overstayer. I guess if it happens at the airport and is minor the police are not involved! so I was lucky

Never made this mistake before and will never again! Before book ticket - check dates and visa stamp!!!

But does this mean I will have problems on my next visit? or will it be overlooked as a minor and resolved issue?

Edited by chricha

5 minutes ago, chricha said:

Sounds like I was lucky! I arrived in Thailand to visit my family and was due to leave on the 20th January.

Due to a unsatisfactory last minute re-scheduling of the flight by Philipines Air I extended my stay until 17th February.

I then bought a new ticket with China Airlines for the 17th (I am still waiting for the refund promised by PA!)

Imagine my horror when I went through Immigration at BKK on the 17th to discover I should have left by the 15th under the new 45 day visa exemption rules. I complained at the counter about having to pay a 1,000 baht fine and was made to wait 10 more minutes before they allowed me to pay the fine and leave. I was not the only one at this counter as an overstayer. I guess if it happens at the airport and is minor the police are not involved!

I have never made this mistake before and will be sure to never again. Before change ticket - check visa stamp!!!

But does this mean I will have problems on my next visit? or will it be overlooked as a minor and resolved issue?

If you make it to the airport and you are on overstay and have a ticket out, you will not be arrested.

You just pay the fine, 500 baht per day, first day is free,  maximum is I think is 20,000baht, no matter how long you are overstaying.

If you are over a certain amount of days, I think 90, you are banned for a year from returning, if over 180 day a longer ban?

I your case 2 days should not be a problem for future visits?

49 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Probably the UK. If a person is living in any country, has no criminal record, behaves themselves, and working or having regular  funds sent and contributing to the economy, why not just leave them alone instead of all this visa and visa run nonsense?

Fair point, but just think how much money would be 'lost', also how many immigration cops out of a job?

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

From the linked Article:

It has been like that for years in for example Bangkok, where you could see posters in the hotel lifts about always remember to bring your passport, when going outside.

On Samui I've experienced a late night – i.e., early morning – drug test in one the night clubs. Only Thais should be tested, foreigners were let out. However, a Chinese couple next to me, which enjoyed their last night patying in a club before an early morning flight, didn't bring their passports and looked too Thai-Asian to be let out; They couldn't prove their foreign citizenship. So it's wise to remember the advise on Samui to always bring a photocopy of your passport, name page and entry stamp; photocopy is advised, so you don't loose your original document while partying...????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Fair point, but just think how much money would be 'lost', also how many immigration cops out of a job?

Probably true, but I'm sure they can be moved elsewhere, and think of all the money that would be going into the economy with many more westerners coming to live in Thailand, which would definitely happen with all these immigration hassles gone, and also many Thai families taken out of poverty.