Why rich foreigners like me are spending much less in Thailand

Just now, KannikaP said:

Why don't you now go to the nearest ATM, take out Bht500, and go get your breakfast at 7-11?

Actually I'm reminded of a recent trip to 7/11 where I didn't have enough cash to pay for what I bought, the 2 cash machines nearby were out of action and ended having to (embarrassingly) have things taken out of the bag as I didn't have enough cash money to pay for it and they would not take any kind of bank QR payment, not my Thai bank card or any other of my cards.   

Gotta agree with the OP here.   Paying for things in 7/11 is annoying and everything always seems to add up to something + 1 or 2 bahts so you end up with annoying coins in your change.  

• Sad 1

I can sympathize to some extent. I went to buy a motorbike last month (several hundred thousand Baht) and previously I could just use my work permit for the purchase. 

Now I have a digital work permit. It doesn't have my address on there like the old paper one. So now I need to get 2 passport photos, get my condo ownership documents and go to immigration for half a day for a residents certificate.

Nah, can't be bothered. I have 7 motorbikes already. The money has been sent back to the UK and I'll spend it on one of my rental properties there. 

Thailand really doesn't help itself sometimes. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, James105 said:

Actually I'm reminded of a recent trip to 7/11 where I didn't have enough cash to pay for what I bought, the 2 cash machines nearby were out of action and ended having to (embarrassingly) have things taken out of the bag as I didn't have enough cash money to pay for it and they would not take any kind of bank QR payment, not my Thai bank card or any other of my cards.   

Gotta agree with the OP here.   Paying for things in 7/11 is annoying and everything always seems to add up to something + 1 or 2 bahts so you end up with annoying coins in your change.  

Always tip at 7, why not? 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, JayClay said:

Unfortunately not necessarily true. I ordered a brand-name mouse in January. The official store immediately set the description of the product to "packed" so that I couldn't cancel. The product has yet to ship and Lazada refuse to refund me unless I send them a copy of my passport.

I have found Lazada customer services to be very helpful.

Prior to us foreigners being allowed to have a Lazada Wallet, if I had any problems, I used to use the "Chat" feature to talk with them, explain the situation, and ask them to refund me with Lazada vouchers.

I knew I would be ordering on the site again, so just used them then.

Now having the Lazada Wallet, they can either refund to my bank account or to my Wallet.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

That could happen if positions were appointed based on merit and skill. Does anyone see that happening? Does anyone see Thailand becoming a better version of itself? No, it is a nation moving backwards. 

Have any of your US presidents been appointed on merit and skill?

Asking for a friend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some statements from the OP:

I do not look at prices and do not care about them, at least in Thailand.

purchases designer brands—but since I can get those abroad anyway at a lower tax rate, why bother?

buying products from the large and well respected department stores owned my multi-billionaire households in Thailand—except here, too, I end up overpaying by several thousand baht

why not just wait for the next time I fly to Europe and just buy everything there? Not only will it be cheaper

my advice for future opinion pieces: don't contradict yourself a few lines into your narrative - it will hurt your credibility...

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

I have found Lazada customer services to be very helpful.

Prior to us foreigners being allowed to have a Lazada Wallet, if I had any problems, I used to use the "Chat" feature to talk with them, explain the situation, and ask them to refund me with Lazada vouchers.

I knew I would be ordering on the site again, so just used them then.

Now having the Lazada Wallet, they can either refund to my bank account or to my Wallet.

They refuse to issue a refund to me for an order that is showing as "packed" via any payment method/wallet/voucher unless I send them a copy of my passport.

I agree that service is generally good, but this semi-fringe case seems to be totally unaccounted for in their procedure guide.

• Sad 1