OPINION: How rich is “rich”?

webfact

The ' rich'  definition is different from country to country, life style to life style, and without going into the smallest nuances what they means, for most, 'rich' is a life style where you don't worry about where you food and living cost will from tomorrow and that you have enough to occasionally indulge in the pleasures of life without hurting the bank balance too much...

• Thumbs Up 1

More mental than financial.  One AN member refers to me as rich quite often, which I counter ... NOT.

Just comfy, as 'rich' to me is a whole other level of financial 'freedom', for lack of a better word.  Comfy is having just more than enough, and if having a wee bit more than that, really not sure what I'd spend it on, without being frivolous.  Probably give most to my daughter, who really doesn't need it, but would appreciate it.

Now, rich, that's Powerball winning thoughts, and ability to do anything, anytime, without thought.  I'd probably be nomadic, fly around, worldwide, and see all the things I could imagine, spending silly money, to make it as easy and trouble free as possible.  Private plane, live out of best hotel, chopper to sites where possible. Private tours of museums.  Silly A$$ frivolous stuff, and with some of the Powerball winning #s, still give millions away, to good causes.

Now, I'm too lazy and or thrifty to hop on a plane to go to the Louvre in Paris, for a long weekend, or week, as simply dread sitting on a plane that long, even in 1st Class, or the thought of what else I'd do with what a week in Paris or anywhere would cost.  That or hop over to Alaska, check out aurora borealis, but in the end, I'd think, that was waste of money, as I could have bought ???  Probably the first 2 things I'd do if hitting the Powerball.  I like a good museum or nature.

Not much I think I'd actually appreciate, if having to spend 'so much' money to do or see.  Too thrifty or CC I guess.  I get more enjoyment having lunch or dinner with the daughter or taking the dog for a walk surfside.  With that thought .... out of here.

• Thumbs Up 3

31 minutes ago, Chris Daley said:

rent a woman

Plenty of rich guys on this board by that definition.  What if you're a homo?  Wasn't there some rich guy in the US who was attacked with a hammer by his rented boy?  Seems like quite the headache to me. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Rich is being able to what you want without thinking about it..

More than that is just pure greed.

So if I want to stay in my 2k/month room, eat noodles and pull my wire all day I'm rich on 10k.   Guess I better wash up before Robin Leach comes over to do a piece on me.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bobthegimp said:

So if I want to stay in my 2k/month room, eat noodles and pull my wire all day I'm rich on 10k.   Guess I better wash up before Robin Leach comes over to do a piece on me.

If it's enough for you to do what you want, then it's enough.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Rich could sometimes be a sense of carelessness and lightness on what's spent today and no concern on what could happen tomorrow.

That could also describe an intoxicated person suffering delusions of grandeur...

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Thailand 25-50 kbaht/month, NO not rich.

Officers in that range of income (about 50 kbaht) , are expected to pay some bills for government of their own money !

They are already robbed, as rarely they get paid overtime. They work for free for government !

They forget all those people also take care of whole family, mom , dad and others.

That is already one point.

Saving account of 500 kbaht? It could have taken years, a lifetime to get there finally!

Also ridiculous rule.

A government, who is not taking care of their people in corona time and i read about farangs, feeding the Thai !

While Thai rice exports just continue, making money for government.🤢

I think, exclude people with 2 cars or more, also people with just new bought car in a specific buying range.

Or/and depending on bought houses. Then you have a more fair picture of rich.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Thailand 25-50 kbaht/month, NO not rich.

Officers in that range of income (about 50 kbaht) , are expected to pay some bills for government of their own money !

They are already robbed, as rarely they get paid overtime. They work for free for government !

They forget all those people also take care of whole family, mom , dad and others.

That is already one point.

Saving account of 500 kbaht? It could have taken years, a lifetime to get there finally!

Also ridiculous rule.

A government, who is not taking care of their people in corona time and i read about farangs, feeding the Thai !

While Thai rice exports just continue, making money for government.🤢

I think, exclude people with 2 cars or more, also people with just new bought car in a specific buying range.

Or/and depending on bought houses. Then you have a more fair picture of rich.

then how came many of those fellows wearing uniform have huge houses, top notch german made cars ? i wonder...

38 minutes ago, Middle Aged Grouch said:

then how came many of those fellows wearing uniform have huge houses, top notch german made cars ? i wonder...

You forget to see the range of income I specified and then single.

I havent seen officers driving a Mercedes 300SL or likewise. Maybe BK?, but i hate to go there.

And as i said , do wallet mostly by car owing.

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, webfact said:

The definition of “rich” is, however, getting more challenging

Somebody who has everything he or she really needs should be considered rich enough . ( to live a happy life . )

Everything more than this is a kind of luxury that should be taxed away for the benefit of a healthy sustainable society .

Tired to hear about the excesses of billionaires who already own so much more than they ever can spend . If that excess money would be used to solve all the environmental ( too late already ...? ) and societal problems , the world would be a happier place .

Capitalism ok , but reduced to a sustainable level .

• Sad 1