Ambulance blocked by pickup truck in Pattaya sparks social backlash

webfact

2 hours ago, connda said:

That's because 'in other countries' there are police who patrol in patrol cars, and when the police in patrol cars see this they stop the driver and issue a citation.  Blocking an emergency vehicle 'in other countries' could end up with you in jail or paying a hefty fine.

Here in Thailand social media users get excited and nothing happens to the violator because?  There are no Thai cops patrolling the roads and handing out citations for violations such as this and other common violations as long as your arm which together create the caused for Thailand being awarded the moniker, The Most Dangerous Roads In The World every other year or so.  In fact what is more likely is that the truck who blocked the ambulance's way ends up filing criminal defamation charges against the social media user who posted the picture.

TIT.

Yes, that is true but then in many other countries that is regulated by law, here it is not.

It only remains a LOS

• Agree 2

From the West you learn at a young age to stand back on a footpath if you hear an emergency vehicles and that follows you to your driving, get out if the way. I feel the ambulances here a partially to blame they run about all day with the ten lights on and are in no rush waiting with all at traffic lights, when one is in a hurry the audible  siren in some can hardly be heard when you are stood in a footpath, 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, JimTripper said:

They don't tend to pull over for emergency vehicles here like they do in other countries. It's more like they are just going around people.

Part of it is that it's so crowded there is usually no place to move.

Some in my outer Thai family do this.

There reason: "i don't believe there's any sick people involved, just the ambulance driver playing a game, trying to get people to move their cars for no real reason.

My Thai sons several attempts to get them to change their attitude a total flop. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Tubulat said:

Yes, that is true but then in many other countries that is regulated by law, here it is not.

It only remains a LOS

Agreed.. I’ve said many times.. rules or laws without reasonably consistent enforcement and with consistently applied material penalties, become only mere suggestions

.. and when it comes to most traffic and motor vehicle issues, I’ll say that they’re effectively suggestions … really not laws in the most true sense.

if you knowingly block an emergency vehicle and fail to use all reasonable measures to “yield” then I’m an advocate for the state to seize said vehicle for X number of days with storage fees and fixed penalties applied.. on any subsequent conviction, I’d support the court ordering the convict to forfeit said vehicle to the state, as it would then to be clear the convicts unwillingness to comply with law and that their non-compliance puts the public at risk. 

• Agree 1

Saw the video on TV the white pickup driver seem like he was being an arse. If there is a law to should be strictly enforced 

and if no law implement immediately. High fines and impounding the vehicle for 30 days might help influence drivers behaving badly. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, connda said:

That's because 'in other countries' there are police who patrol in patrol cars, and when the police in patrol cars see this they stop the driver and issue a citation.  Blocking an emergency vehicle 'in other countries' could end up with you in jail or paying a hefty fine.

Here in Thailand social media users get excited and nothing happens to the violator because?  There are no Thai cops patrolling the roads and handing out citations for violations such as this and other common violations as long as your arm which together create the caused for Thailand being awarded the moniker, The Most Dangerous Roads In The World every other year or so.  In fact what is more likely is that the truck who blocked the ambulance's way ends up filing criminal defamation charges against the social media user who posted the picture.

TIT.

I think your assumption that the reason people in the west pull out of the way of ambulance  (you will find all emergency vehicles when lights flashing) has nothing to do with fines and all to do with road manor's.

Not condoning this guys action in anyway, but I was driving from Trat to Leam knob and there was an ambulance tailgating me, no lights no siren, then dangerously overtook me, and several others on blind bends, and double yellows, I quipt to my wife "he must want some new customers".

7 hours ago, JimTripper said:

They don't tend to pull over for emergency vehicles here like they do in other countries. It's more like they are just going around people.

Part of it is that it's so crowded there is usually no place to move.

Last week I was sitting near the front in traffic waiting at a red light, I heard the siren of an ambulance behind me, looked round and saw it and immediately moved my bike as much as I could to the kerb, no one else made any attempt to let the ambulance pass.

31 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Last week I was sitting near the front in traffic waiting at a red light, I heard the siren of an ambulance behind me, looked round and saw it and immediately moved my bike as much as I could to the kerb, no one else made any attempt to let the ambulance pass.

I see emergency vehicles come through daily near where I am. Today, some foreigner guy crossed the street when the ambulance was approaching the other side of the intersection with lights and sirens blaring. It's like he thought he had the right of way because he was in the crosswalk, he had a green light, or??

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1