How much cash do you have?

9 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Got somewhat less than that but have about 4 Million flowing in yearly. Out of laziness and lack of greed I kept it 100% liquid, which served me neatly to get the LTR visa, and to plan income tax in case they removed our (LTR) tax exemption.

Great. I'm not that lucky.....or hardworking I guess....

22 hours ago, Celsius said:

How much cash do you have in your account

Sufficient to provide a comfortable living without any worries, unless I become seriously ill then I can draw on funds from the UK. Reason - I'm an insulin dependent Type 2 diabetic. I have 3 UK pensions for the rest of my life which are paid monthly into my bank account. I have no dependents, living alone, and these monthly pensions provide for a "worry free' and ideal life here in Cambodia. None of this cash in bank lark! I can access and use my cash whenever I like.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

6 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

One can never have enough of a good thing.

And, CASH is just one of the best examples of this truism.

Many good things other than a big bank balance...  90% of things I see and witness from the expats here who have double or more income than myself is they all spend it on themselves....I have very little monthly income but spend about half on the local Thai people's businesses, Thai companions,Thai massage ladies.... other spend it all on their motorbikes, cars, fancy Western foods, meals, and trips to places for the 3rd or 4th time, travelling back home and all sorts of stuff that as a retiree I could care less....been there done that.  All good for those who still have "yearnings" for more and more stuff they want but likely do not need in their life

I have Enough as someone else said here....cannot complain as that is good situation to be in as a retiree and the only attitude I need in the last chapter or so of my life

Edited by Skallywag
  • Like 1

Why would anybody post those unconfirmed numbers in an anonymous forum?

Personally, I am happy if I go to the ATM and can still get some money.

It doesn't really matter if 10B is left or 10 million or whatever - until the next time I go to the ATM.

35 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It doesn't really matter if 10B is left or 10 million or whatever - until the next time I go to the ATM.

Why not?

Having sufficient liquid cash is way preferable to not having it.

Many retired people have investments. If they crash and they don't have sufficient liquid cash then they're forced to sell investments when they're low.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Why not?

Having sufficient liquid cash is way preferable to not having it.

Many retired people have investments. If they crash and they don't have sufficient liquid cash then they're forced to sell investments when they're low.

Agree, nice to have access to liquid cash.  Over a year ago, I had med oops, and needed 200k on the spot to get treated, since I self insure.  Without easy access, since not immediate life threatening, treatment/procedure would have been delayed, and possibly the result wouldn't have been as positive.

Without immediate procedure, condition could worsen, and then become life threatening, and only then would the actually do the procedure, without paid for in advance.  Not telling what damage done while delayed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Many good things other than a big bank balance...  90% of things I see and witness from the expats here who have double or more income than myself is they all spend it on themselves....I have very little monthly income but spend about half on the local Thai people's businesses, Thai companions,Thai massage ladies.... other spend it all on their motorbikes, cars, fancy Western foods, meals, and trips to places for the 3rd or 4th time, travelling back home and all sorts of stuff that as a retiree I could care less....been there done that.  All good for those who still have "yearnings" for more and more stuff they want but likely do not need in their life

I have Enough as someone else said here....cannot complain as that is good situation to be in as a retiree and the only attitude I need in the last chapter or so of my life

I spend all my money on computers, etc., to improve the Chinese.

(I do not spend money on frivolous toys, frivolous tourism. frivolous massages, nor frivolous B-Girls.  I do not waste money in almost all cases.)

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes. Why discuss who has more money?

Such a discussion seems of almost no monetary value to anybody.

4 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Sufficient to provide a comfortable living without any worries, unless I become seriously ill then I can draw on funds from the UK. Reason - I'm an insulin dependent Type 2 diabetic. I have 3 UK pensions for the rest of my life which are paid monthly into my bank account. I have no dependents, living alone, and these monthly pensions provide for a "worry free' and ideal life here in Cambodia. None of this cash in bank lark! I can access and use my cash whenever I like.

Sounds ideal...other than the diabetes.

And, I have always wondered if life could be as good for me outside Thailand in a place such as Cambodia.

And, I assume that you are able to speak to the locals in their language.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Sounds good but most people who feel like that actually know that there's closer to 10 million than 10 baht or they would not be so laid back about the whole thing. 

1 hour ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Sounds good but most people who feel like that actually know that there's closer to 10 million than 10 baht or they would not be so laid back about the whole thing. 

Ok, fair enough.

But there was a time when I had little money but more or less regular income and I still didn't worry too much.

I think many people worry too much about that - at least if they are still young enough to work and earn money.

Enough to spend 40 000THB a month to stay in 3 star hotels rest of my life.

Like "poor version" of Howard Hughes:

"Infamous billionaire Howard Hughes spent most of his bizarre life living in luxury hotels. He would move this whole staff from one hotel to another, in locations ranging from Beverly Hills and London, England to Boston and Vancouver, Canada until he made a permanent move to Las Vegas in 1966. After purchasing the Desert Inn the same year, the entire 8th floor became his offices and the 9th floor his home."

On 1/12/2024 at 4:26 PM, Jingthing said:

Sounds like he means net worth.

It would be insane to hold 13 mb in cash unless you're Elon Musk or someone like that.

Rolled cash in and out of 3 month CDs all last year. 1099-s should be yuge.

2023 brought booming CD rates for savers, but tax season realities are coming

https://www.freep.com/story/money/personal-finance/susan-tompor/2024/01/03/taxes-cd-interest-1099-int-forms/72082731007/

On 1/12/2024 at 4:00 PM, Adumbration said:

Hmmm.  13mthb....

So you are one serious illness away from broke.

Or death,  just like the rest of us, regardless of wealth

Edited by Bday Prang

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes. Why discuss who has more money?

Such a discussion seems of almost no monetary value to anybody.

Especially on an anonymous forum, as if people are really that honest.  If I had some of the money some boast about, I wouldn't be in TH.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Especially on an anonymous forum, as if people are really that honest.  If I had some of the money some boast about, I wouldn't be in TH.

Where would you be?

Why is it boasting if people are telling the truth? Is it because it is significantly more than you have?

at what point is it not boasting? Maybe just 10% more than you?

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, noobexpat said:

Where would you be?

Why is it boasting if people are telling the truth? Is it because it is significantly more than you have?

at what point is it not boasting? Maybe just 10% more than you?

I would have simply stayed in the USA, as an option to retiring here.  No regrets being here, but I certainly wouldn't have come here, if having another million USD to play with.

Retiring early was more important to me than working any longer.   I could of simply bought 5-10 more houses in USA, and that would have compensated for the crazy inflation the past 10 yrs in western countries.

People can spew out what ever amounts of money they have, but why would someone with the silly numbers they state, want to live in a country, Hua Hin or Patts & north of, where the air is unhealthy almost half the year and the seas polluted.   Believe what you want, but I believe people smart enough to make those #s, would be smart enough to live elsewhere.

From reading the posts of many, most seem to have significantly less than I have.   Some with use of agents to bypass long term visa financials.  Live out of a hotel room size condo, not by choice, and can't afford the luxury of 4 wheels and enjoy out & abouts.   Nothing wrong with that if happy.   Home is where the heart is, or the party.  

I don't boast of what I have, as was raised not to.  Simply stating having more than enough is fine, and no financial worries.  People can read into that what they wish.  Never concerned with people having more, true or not, and if able, lend a helping hand to those who aren't so lucky as myself. 

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I would have simply stayed in the USA, as an option to retiring here.  No regrets being here, but I certainly wouldn't have come here, if having another million USD to play with.

Retiring early was more important to me than working any longer.   I could of simply bought 5-10 more houses in USA, and that would have compensated for the crazy inflation the past 10 yrs in western countries.

People can spew out what ever amounts of money they have, but why would someone with the silly numbers they state, want to live in a country, Hua Hin or Patts & north of, where the air is unhealthy almost half the year and the seas polluted.   Believe what you want, but I believe people smart enough to make those #s, would be smart enough to live elsewhere.

From reading the posts of many, most seem to have significantly less than I have.   Some with use of agents to bypass long term visa financials.  Live out of a hotel room size condo, not by choice, and can't afford the luxury of 4 wheels and enjoy out & abouts.   Nothing wrong with that if happy.   Home is where the heart is, or the party.  

I don't boast of what I have, as was raised not to.  Simply stating having more than enough is fine, and no financial worries.  People can read into that what they wish.  Never concerned with people having more, true or not, and if able, lend a helping hand to those who aren't so lucky as myself. 

Interesting. 

If i had an extra 1m usd i would do almost nothing different.

Beautiful surroundings and clear sea are very depressing if you are lonely. You need to hit the fundamentals before the niceties IMO. Where do you have the best chance? in the dense population areas, of course.

Boasting means talking with excessive pride and self satisfaction about one's achievements. I like hearing success stories and i admire high achievers. The older generation have been conditioned to keeping it all secret, like its a dirty topic. I've been talking to people about their money for 20 years, so to me its completely normal.

I think the more open people are about money, the more they may save and not waste. Forums are perfect for that.

I wrote my post to you after my night out. Twas a bit drunk 555

It may read a bit confrontational - sometimes the written word can sound harsh. Not intended. Just wanted to add that.

22 minutes ago, noobexpat said:

. The older generation have been conditioned to keeping it all secret, like its a dirty topic. I've been talking to people about their money for 20 years, so to me its completely normal.

It's not a dirty little secret, it more just common sense.  And I spew it out all the time.   Two main things, and so easy:

1. live within your means.   stop borrowing money on crap that depreciates, to impress people that don't care about you.   If you can't afford to pay  cash, you can't afford to buy it now.   RE the only exception, until you can start paying cash.  The finance that, to make another investment.

2. pay yourself, what you are worth.   stop working for other people, unless compensated properly for it.  Become self employed, invest carefully & wisely.

Believe in yourself, as anyone can do it.   Ignore the naysayers.

That will pay for itself as you build equity, and soon find you have more money than you need.   Retire, or if enjoy what you're doing that much, continue on.

If you're not building equity, saving and or invest every extra money you have, then you're doing it wrong.

Edited by KhunLA

10 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

It's not a dirty little secret, it more just common sense.  And I spew it out all the time.   Two main things, and so easy:

1. live within your means.   stop borrowing money on crap that depreciates, to impress people that don't care about you.   If you can't afford to pay  cash, you can't afford to buy it now.   RE the only exception, until you can start paying cash.  The finance that, to make another investment.

2. pay yourself, what you are worth.   stop working for other people, unless compensated properly for it.  Become self employed, invest carefully & wisely.

Believe in yourself, as anyone can do it.   Ignore the naysayers.

That will pay for itself as you build equity, and soon find you have more money than you need.   Retire, or if enjoy what you're doing that much, continue on.

If you're not building equity, saving and or invest every extra money you have, then you're doing it wrong.

Yes the principles are easy, but i meant the talking openly about it.

Its called a psychological nudge...eg:

Your co-worker, who is similar to yourself, tells you he saves 1000 usd a month into something. some possible outcomes...

1. I wish he would stop boasting 

2. I will assess my finances and see if i can do the same. 

17 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I

When i was young, my dad showed me an investment into some plain vanilla funds he made. He held them for 20 years and showed me: £50k to £200k. I was gobsmacked. Unbelievable, its quadrupled!! The impact of that openness was quite profound.

Here i am today, living by my investing mantra of 4^(1/20).

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Sounds ideal...other than the diabetes.

And, I have always wondered if life could be as good for me outside Thailand in a place such as Cambodia.

And, I assume that you are able to speak to the locals in their language.

No, I cannot speak Khmer, other than "hello" and "thank you". But not really a problem as many of the younger generation of Khmers can speak some English and they are eager to try out on you.   

33 minutes ago, noobexpat said:

When i was young, my dad showed me an investment into some plain vanilla funds he made. He held them for 20 years and showed me: £50k to £200k. I was gobsmacked. Unbelievable, its quadrupled!! The impact of that openness was quite profound.

Here i am today, living by my investing mantra of 4^(1/20).

You're were blessed with good parenting.   Only thing my father told me  ..."you're stupid and will never amount to anything" :cheesy:

I had to go the 'trial & error' route, though thankfully, a quick learner.   

• Thumbs Up 1