30 Cars Stolen in UK Traced to Thailand, Returned to Owners

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

victims could file lawsuits against the companies that sold them the stolen cars. Last month, two victims won lawsuits against these companies, receiving full payment refunds.

I wonder how often the customers will get all their money back.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

I guess the real owners now are the insurance companies ...

If you own a lambo , would you leave it uninsured ....?

I had the Thai customers in mind.

I don't know how easy it was or should have been to realize those cars were stolen. 

• Like 2

I think they have to work out the logistics, who pays for shipping back to UK and what paperwork is needed to clear exports and imports customs in both countries.  Hopefully they can now get this solved.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nakhonandy said:

First I've heard of stolen cars being resold here. Usually Europe or the Middle East. 

Good work from all involved to get them back.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

stated that the vehicles would be returned to the UK per legal requirements,

They haven't got them back yet though. 

45 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

How the hell do they get them into the country?

I spent an age looking at how to bring our cars over and gave up.

The 'importers' aka smugglers, would have to know the right officials to get the paperwork completed.

Money talks!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, G Rex said:

The 'importers' aka smugglers, would have to know the right officials to get the paperwork completed.

Money talks!

Yes I guess so.

I did ponder going that route, but too scary.

6 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Yes I guess so.

I did ponder going that route, but too scary.

I bought a 2015 911 here a few years ago. The GPS system did not work , because it was not an active feature in Thailand (in the 991.1 model), but when turned on ithad a UK address as the home point.  Maybe the car was a grey import, maybe not....   anyway - I am very glad I have sold it now 

• Thumbs Up 1

I bought a 2015 911 here a few years ago. The GPS system did not work , because it was not an active feature in Thailand (in the 991.1 model), but when turned on ithad a UK address as the home point.  Maybe the car was a grey import, maybe not....   anyway - I am very glad I have sold it now 

We each had a Range Rover SVR (tax free)!!!!....We would have made fortune if we'd been able to bring them over....gutted,

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, G Rex said:

Unfortunately, that's not the end of your liability if it was stolen.

Each buyer in the chain has to sue the previous buyer for a refund.

I bought an electric Porsche new from the authorised agent in BKK.  I looked at grey imports and it didn't take much negotiation to get 2 million knocked off the already reasonable price.  I was certain it was stolen in the UK.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nakhonandy said:

First I've heard of stolen cars being resold here. Usually Europe or the Middle East. 

Good work from all involved to get them back.

This has been a thing in Thailand since the 90's. Now and again we get a press release about it.

Just remember, nothing would have happened without pressure from the British Police and the Embassy. 

There are hundreds, possibly thousands of luxury cars and supercars in storage at Laem Chabang Port. 

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

Nothing would have happened without Thai Customs explicit approval and assistance imo. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

One of the many previous schemes (possibly this one too) involves mules.  The mules are Thai students studying in prestigious universities in the UK.

They are persuaded to buy a hi-end car on finance, insure it including Gap insurance, and then conveniently the exporter steals the car.

It is then exported to Thailand, where an accomplice in Thailand turns a blind eye to the ownership requirements of the Thai student (owning it for 12 months) and it's re-registered here with import duty paid.

Sometimes, they are temporarily converted to LPG and registered that way (which is supposedly easier though I don't know why) and the LPG conversion removed in another province.

There was a case a few years ago of an unclaimed transporter with Lambo's and other cars that nobody would claim ownership of, I think one of them caught fire if IIRC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Unfortunately, that's not the end of your liability if it was stolen.

Each buyer in the chain has to sue the previous buyer for a refund.

I can sleep comfortably at night.

I sold it to a 'dealer/flipper' 2 years ago, and the car may have had several more owners by now.

Too many links (in the chain) methinks

• Thumbs Up 1

I can sleep comfortably at night.

I sold it to a 'dealer/flipper' 2 years ago, and the car may have had several more owners by now.

Too many links (in the chain) methinks

My fingers are crossed for you.

• Thanks 1