Importing knives to Thailand

Startmeup

Looking to buy a good knife set for my culinary ambitions. "Global" is the brand on the top of my list but not sure if they can be gotten in Thailand.

Has anybody imported a knife set like this? Is it possible? 

Yes, you can. You can order from anywhere as long as they are willing to send it to Thailand. How it is with import duty, I am not sure of.

9 minutes ago, novacova said:

You can order them off of Amazon and it will be delivered to your address in TH. Shopee has some Japanese vendors that sell high quality knives. We bought a couple santoku knives last year, sent from Japan.

No issues with getting nabbed by customs or slugged with huge taxes before they hand them over?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Startmeup said:

No issues with getting nabbed by customs or slugged with huge taxes before they hand them over?

None. I personally have yet to been bothered by customs for anything.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Startmeup said:

7% VAT and normal import duty, probably in the region of 10-30% maximum, are the only taxes that would be charged.   For normal purchases such as yours, Thailand does not "slug anyone with huge taxes before they hand them over".  

https://www.simplyduty.com/import-calculator/

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, novacova said:

None. I personally have yet to been bothered by customs for anything.

Have you imported alot of stuff like this? Ive read in the past of issues with customs not releasing items without getting some "tax" but I have not experienced it one way or the other. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

7% VAT and normal import duty, probably in the region of 30% maximum, are the only taxes that would be charged.   For normal purchases such as yours, Thailand does not "slug anyone with huge taxes before they hand them over".  

How does this work in reality, Im guessing it's not included in the price I pay? Based on previous poster experience its open to the discretion of the import authorities?

1 minute ago, Startmeup said:

Have you imported alot of stuff like this? Ive read in the past of issues with customs not releasing items without getting some "tax" but I have not experienced it one way or the other. 

Have had a lot of stuff shipped from Korea, China, Japan, Singapore and the the US. Most recently I ordered two motorcycle helmets from the US in large boxes, no problem whatsoever. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Startmeup said:

No, not yet. I’m guessing it’s a random issue and when it happens folks go online and make a lot of noise about it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, novacova said:

Have had a lot of stuff shipped from Korea, China, Japan, Singapore and the the US. Most recently I ordered two motorcycle helmets from the US in large boxes, no problem whatsoever. 

OK, nice one. Pay the price and whatever delivery it is required and good to go. Should be delivered to door without any problems. Ill broaden my search outside Thailand 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It is charged by Thailand's Customs on the CIF value, if your package is unlucky enough to be checked, many aren't.  Import duty rates are laid down in regulations.

Ok ill keep that in mind if I get unlucky

https://www.hachanna.co.th/en/categories/tojiro-japanese-knife.html

Thai - supposed to be very good.

https://www.cutboyknife.com/

https://www.central.co.th/en/search/kitchen knives

https://www.central.co.th/en/home-lifestyle/cooking-dining/cookware/kitchen-knives

So try Villa Market, Central and other stores who have Henckels, Wusthof,  Zwilling etc but I have definitley seen Global somewhere ? Maybe Siam Takashimaya or Emporium?

Maybe ask a Chef in a Japanese restaurant of a hotel where they buy their knives from?

I'm actually visiting Japan in August/Sept so reading up as I want to buy some for a present:

https://www.curated.com/journal/1884000/the-best-japanese-knife-brands

Edited by RAZZELL
  • Like 1

If you are worried about duty / tax then ask if your seller can ship "DDP" (Delivery Duty Paid) which means that there's nothing to pay at this end, everything is pre-cleared by Thai customs.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Startmeup said:

Looking to buy a good knife set for my culinary ambitions. "Global" is the brand on the top of my list but not sure if they can be gotten in Thailand.

I bought a knife set on Amazon.  It arrived with no problems.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Startmeup said:

OK, nice one. Pay the price and whatever delivery it is required and good to go. Should be delivered to door without any problems. Ill broaden my search outside Thailand 

Just make sure it is not shipped by Fedex or UPS as they will submit import documents for tax purposes.  

Regular air parcel post / speedpost / EMS   is the way to go.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Startmeup said:

PM sent to you