Covid-19 destroyed millions of peoples lives with little or zero consequence whatsoever

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

This is not like there is A and obviously it is followed by B.

There must be millions of people who lost their work who didn't rob any shop. Stop making such stupid connections! 

Well,  while you may be correct,  I'm just pointing out that many fell on hard times as a result of Covid.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Well,  while you may be correct,  I'm just pointing out that many fell on hard times as a result of Covid.  

Ain't finished..times will become even harder. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Ain't finished..times will become even harder. 

yes,  I tend to agree with this as jobs suffer,  populations continue to grow,  folks refrain from spending ...  

it's not rocket science .... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

So, maybe think again who should pay. 

You always sound so anti American, like people of my generation. Always thought that they hated owing so much to the US.

Edited by Ben Zioner
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ben Zioner said:

You always sound so anti American, like people of my generation. Always thought that they hated owing so much to the US.

There was a time, decades ago, when the USA did some good things for this world.

Now they are not all bad, but bad in many ways. And it gets worse. Will it ever get better again? Maybe, but I wouldn't bet on that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

The Chinese aren't much bothered by being blamed for covid, or whatever. In world terms they reckon they are winning and that is all they care about.

This is correct.  They just keep plodding away and are not really that concerned what others think or do around the globe  ...  that's China 

• Agree 1

Two points I would like to make here:

It seems to have been forgotten that a Chinese Doctor in Wuhan who discovered the Covid virus reported it to the authorities who quickly admonished him and hushed it up. That Doctor later died from - Covid

I think this can suggest that those Authorities is at least partly responsible for allowing Covid  to leave their borders. Reparations or even accepting any responsibility?  Good luck with that one! 

Secondly, as it relates to the USA, the first diagnosed case of Covid was of a woman from Wuhan but little was done to prevent the debacle over the next two years under the Trump administration.

• Agree 1

Covid19 certainly didn't destroy the lives of Tories who took advantage of the VIP lane offered by Mr Johnson......Lady Mone, along with many others, are laughing all the way to the bank.

• Agree 1

On 8/10/2024 at 9:59 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Talking about destroying millions of people's lives as in the OP, COVID the virus also KILLED somewhere between 7 MILLION (the official figure) and about 30 million (the estimate of excess deaths due to COVID and related factors) worldwide. Numerous studies have shown that those numbers could have been much smaller had more people chosen to get vaccinated and better followed public health precautions... But many didn't, and we can see the results.

However, given the choice between temporary economic hardship from COVID vs. being dead from COVID, I'd choose the temporary economic hardship. Hardship a person can recover and come back from. DEAD, there's no coming back from.

In the case of Thailand, its economy and workforce perhaps suffered  more than others because it was and is so substantially reliant on tourism, which of course took a hit during the pandemic, as it did pretty much everywhere.

If Thailand didn't have an economy where the vast share of the wealth was before COVID and even now still is concentrated in the hands of a very few elites, and many of the ordinary people with low skills and marginal education scraping to just get by, people left bereft by the loss of tourism might not be driven into committing crimes. But that imbalance existed long before COVID and COVID didn't cause or create it.

Also PS - before people start talking about punishing countries for COVID, it might be a good idea to actually establish some proof that there's something to be punished for. Contrary to a lot of right-wing claims, most public health researchers and scientists believe the specific COVID virus emerged naturally jumping from animals to humans and was not an engineered virus or one unleashed from a lab leak. And thus far, at least, there's been no actual proof to the contrary.

And it's on the rise again because folks don't care and think its just a cold or the flu....but we know it's a very dangerous virus....

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-19/issue-brief/global-covid-19-tracker/

• Agree 2

Chinese Undercut Competitors Economies in Several Ways & then Swoop in to Buy Bankruptcies & Fire Sales.  They learned a lot from Sun Tzu.

Quote: "On August 10th, 2024, Thai business insiders reported that several local bus operators are facing severe financial difficulties, with rising costs and continued losses forcing many to consider selling their businesses.  In response, Chinese companies, both bus manufacturers and operators, began negotiations to acquire these struggling Thai firms as a means of expanding their market into Thailand.  A source revealed that the Chinese are particularly interested in introducing electric buses, noting that half of Thailand’s bus fleet has already vanished from service due to the ongoing business crisis.  Chinese investors are reportedly setting up their own restaurants, similar to the ‘zero-based tours,’ where tourists dine only at Chinese-owned establishments,”.
Edited by OneZero