British family struggles with father’s funeral costs in Thailand

snoop1130

6 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

I'd rather avoid the temple, the chanting disinterested monks, the villagers hanging around for days on end for free food and booze etc. Throw my body to the crocodiles. They will be happy

Sounds great fun, free booze and food and you forgot the gambling card games. 

Can you send me an invitation!

😁😂🐒🐘

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

BS! Two persons can fly with return tickets for 2 000 dollar. Not 4 000 pounds. So, they already have enough money. Stay a while and cheap funeral costs in Thailand should not be a problem for a full family.

Not entirely BS, I think.

In February the best deal I found was £2500 for two return tickets from UK for family members to fly out in July.

These people were travelling from Sunderland, quite a distance from an airport with flights to Thailand. Train travel in the UK is very expensive, as are internal flights - and taxis. And petrol, if someone kindly offered to drive them.

They were travelling at short notice and would, presumably, have travelled with checked luggage. 

It all adds up. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

I'd rather avoid the temple, the chanting disinterested monks, the villagers hanging around for days on end for free food and booze etc. Throw my body to the crocodiles. They will be happy

Pigs are better. Quicker recycling into something useful for humanity.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I believe the embassy will arrange something basic, although they don't seem to advertise it. 

Which Embassy, the British? You're joking.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Who wants to travel economy to a funeral? Have some class.

My thought was, they wanted/needed tickets ASAP that we all know can cost more. Nonetheless, the total bill cited should be doable by the collective family. I have told my Wife here ... cremation (no service, etc) ... take the ashes to Mae Ping. Done and ... literally "dusted".

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I suppose one of them might need to come to collect any worthwhile personal effects,, maybe end a lease or dispose of real estate, vehicles, etc....

Funeral already happened it sounds like... well, cremation.... maybe buy a few rounds a pub he visited and call it even...

Just hire a jet ski and a couple of you go out off Pattaya and throw his ashes into the sea ....

then come back and pay the jet ski hire and a few of you hit the bar ....  

cheap... but still a wake all the same ...

12 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Just hire a jet ski and a couple of you go out off Pattaya and throw his ashes into the sea ....

Now that sounds perfect to me.......probably not swim there for a while....but yes.

Edited by Will B Good
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

The cremation is cheap. 3 monks. Pay them 200 Baht each and give them some food. No need for a week of partying Thai style. Give some money for the fuel.  The main expense is the flight to Thailand. Get a VPN so as to reduce the UK airfare. Ampheur expense: maybe 100 Baht.

Edited by renaissanc

3 hours ago, roo860 said:

It isn't only Brits, there's equivalent sites to Gofundme worldwide, covering people from different countries, which you won't see on AseanNow which reports incidents in Thailand. 

Fairly sure gofundme is a worldwide website.

what are the equivalent websites other nationalties use ?

Edited by Ralf001

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I believe the embassy will arrange something basic, although they don't seem to advertise it. 

Somewhere on this forum, a user reported the name of a company that arranges CHEAP cremations.  I forget when but it was not too long ago.  good luck

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Don't forget the 25,000 baht to the jet ski guy for the damage you never made.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, sungod said:

Don't forget the 25,000 baht to the jet ski guy for the damage you never made.

That's why you should take photos of all marks and dents around the jet ski before going out.  

16 minutes ago, renaissanc said:

The British Embassy doesn't help anybody under any circumstances on any day at any time and in any way. You're on your own if you're British and you need help.

They won't give you a glass of water if your dying of heat exhaustion ...   

that'll be 20 baht ...  

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

That's why you should take photos of all marks and dents around the jet ski before going out.  

My fault, it was a joke. I'll put a laughing face on it in future 🤣

• Haha 1