Digital wallet scheme may switch to cash to boost economy

Why so difficult?? just print 20 coupons  of 500 THB with a copy of the ID card on it that can be used all over Thailand... Sim ple . easy and everywhere useable. Cash will not stimulate the economy at all.. People with an income of 70k a month will save it and also people with savings on a bank account. Best thing is  let people apply from 21yrs old and with income less than 40k a month and/ or less than 250k on a bank account. It saves a lot of money and with coupons you are sure it will be spent in the shops 

Edited by ikke1959

4 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Why so difficult?? just print 20 coupons  of 500 THB with a copy of the ID card on it that can be used all over Thailand... Sim ple . easy and everywhere useable.

20 coupons for each of 50 million people?????

I know Thais like their paperwork but that would be an Amazon forest-full .

2 hours ago, webfact said:

“Distributing cash instead of digital money is not an issue, as long as the original objective to stimulate the economy is maintained.”

Distributing cash... here we go again

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Yippee do da day, 10k worth of Lao Kho, and a bucket full of Yabba tabs, what could possibly go wrong ?

yes, that's going to happen in a lot of Thai households, don't forget the gambling

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

New Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra addressed the issue on August 18, assuring that the government would not abandon its flagship handout.

It will be abandoned .

No free money .

It was meant to be a joke ...

I read a few of the naysayers. IMO, that's exactly what they need to do. Yes some people will just use it on cigarettes and booze, but there's a lot of debt and many people will use it to pay off some of it.  Also, from a westerner's view point it will most likely devalue the baht for a time. Giving people money is inflationary and I would like to see the baht give up some of it's value on the currency exchange.

13 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I read a few of the naysayers. IMO, that's exactly what they need to do. Yes some people will just use it on cigarettes and booze, but there's a lot of debt and many people will use it to pay off some of it.  Also, from a westerner's view point it will most likely devalue the baht for a time. Giving people money is inflationary and I would like to see the baht give up some of it's value on the currency exchange.

"some people will just use it on cigarettes and booze," bit of naive statement,    giving money to drug addicts alcoholics and gamblers to feed there habits, i think this will cause a lot of problems in the family when theses addicts have spent there part but mum and dad have not  what do you think is going to happen ??

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Distributing cash instead of digital money is not an issue

Distributing cash without an added value counter part, will always result in [even more] inflation. With no actual gain for the recipients who will see the value of their meager earnings erode. People need skills and work, period.

27 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Boost booze and cigs sales:burp: :stoner:

Now I can understand why 7-11 is being taken over.

I wonder if that delightfully useful shop is partially owned by a Thai family............

They don't have an app for digital wallet, and it will take (too) long time to make one. Furthermore, not all have or can use a smartphone, suitable for such an app. Their voters are getting impatient to have the election campaign promise fulfilled...:whistling:

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

20 coupons for each of 50 million people?????

I know Thais like their paperwork but that would be an Amazon forest-full .

Thai people like copies... Everything that has to be done need a copy of something and than go to immigration and in 1 year time you need almost a half package of papers just copies from everything even of the things they have already.. wasting paper is no problem in Thailand.. very ecological

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Muhendis said:

Now I can understand why 7-11 is being taken over.

I wonder if that delightfully useful shop is partially owned by a Thai family............

Who is taking over 7/11, not heard of it yet.

The incompetence and amateurism of this government is truly ridiculous, and yet they had believed that it would be easy to distribute 500 billion in electronic money while the hackers were waiting to divide up the loot on such naivety.

Now to do they talk about distributing cash, bars will be happy with the increase in beer to revive the economy.

When a person is stupid he can only solve the problem with another action even more stupid ditto for governments.