Are cars legally required to stop for a zebra?

berro

13 minutes ago, connda said:

Are cars legally required to stop for a pedestrian crossing a zebra, or is it "up to them"?

Not unless there is a red light at the crossing. 

Wrong.

There is a legal requirement to stop with a ฿4000 fine if you don’t.

• Thanks 1

On 9/21/2024 at 11:17 AM, berro said:

Are cars legally required to stop for a pedestrian crossing a zebra, or is it "up to them"?

I remember in Serbia a few years ago after a long stint in Asia, a car actually stopped when he saw me about to cross a zebra. I remember that I had to smile.

And over the months I spent there, I'd say 99 % of the time cars stopped.

Strange that in a country like Thaiand, where polite manners are highly appreciated in social life, suddenly throw all the poiteness overboard when it comes to traffic.

It's irrelevant if it's legal or not, it's what happens in practice that matters. "The law" doesn't put an invisible force-field around you when you step into the street at a zebra crossing. More fool you if you stand on principle in that situation.

As for manners and politeness, I guess you must have lived in a bubble during your time in the LOS. Plenty of nasty people here for whom the politeness is a thin veneer that collapses very quickly when put to the test.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, gargamon said:

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/general/40024294

The new traffic law showed that drivers who do not stop for pedestrians at zebra crossings will be fined 4,000 baht and lose one of their 12 total points, with the loss of all counts resulting in a 90-day suspension of a driving licence.

All driving licence holders will start with 12 points each. If drivers are caught breaking traffic laws, 1-4 points will be reduced depending on their types of violations. 

Before driving through a zebra crossing, drivers must stop for three metres and wait for pedestrians to cross over a road. 

Motorists must strictly abide by the traffic rules such as following a traffic light signal. 

A loss of all 12 points will contribute to a 90-day suspension of a driving licence. Motorists who drive while their licence gets suspended will be charged with a maximum of 10,000 baht or/and will face up to three months in prison. 

Yep, 4 points for drink driving, so you can get caught 3 times a year until you get banned for the last 90 days of the year. Then off you go again.

• Agree 1