Military Coup: Flash Update From Tourism Authority Of Thailand

Military Coup: Flash Update From Tourism Authority Of Thailand

10385606_10152403436245699_9106773923345

BANGKOK:-- At 17.00 hours today, Thai military has taken control of the country to prevent further loss of life and prevent the conflict from further escalating.

The move came after talks between representatives of opposing sides and top officials failed to reach a common ground, according to local media reports.

A nationwide curfew has been announced from 22.00 – 05.00 hours with effective from today, and martial law to remain in effect until further notice, army announced.

Businesses and public services are adjusting their operating hours to comply with the curfew.

All airports in Thailand remain open, and air passengers with arrival and departure flights scheduled during the curfew can travel to and from the airports at any time as usual. However, Tourists with arrival and departure flights during the curfew are advised to prepare all travel documents when travelling to and from the airports.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is closely monitoring the situation, and will be providing more updates as soon as there are further developments.

In the meantime, tourists can contact the following numbers for information and assistance:

TAT Call Centre 1672

Tourist Police Call Centre 1155

Traffic Police Call Centre 1197

BMTA (city bus and van service) Call Centre 1348

BTS Hotline +66 (0) 2617 6000

MRT Customer Relations Center +66 (0) 2624 5200

SRT (train service) Call Centre 1690

Transport Co., Ltd., (inter-provincial bus service) Call Centre 1490

AOT (Suvarnabhumi Airport) Call Centre 1722

Suvarnabhumi Airport Operation Centre (temporary) +66 (0) 2132 9950 or 2

Don Mueang Airport Call Centre +66 (0) 2535 3861, (0) 2535 3863

Thai Airways International Call Centre +66 (0) 2356 1111

Bangkok Airways Call Centre 1771

Nok Air Call Centre 1318

Thai AirAsia Call Centre +66 (0) 2515 9999

Issued at Bangkok at 19.00 hrs. (GMT+7) on 22 May 2014

• Like 1

We will be in BKK next week and hope I have no problem getting around.

No problem getting around, but do duck down below window level in the taxi.

To be frank, I wouldn't come to Bangkok these days. There is anger building up in Thailand. Just stay away, if I were you.

Coming to chiang mai in two weeks..any bets or should I cancel?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No,in two weeks if not now it will be life as usual here with perhaps a few minor inconveniences.

This is our 3rd coup.

Just a note for people travelling to Thailand during the coup.

Check that your travel insurance is still valid before starting your journey. I believe there are some policies that are void in circumstances like this.

Check the small print or check with your travel agents. I am not trying to cause undue stress here, but it is something to consider.

We will be in BKK next week and hope I have no problem getting around.

You'll more than likely find it easier to get around since all the protesters have been sent on their way, but keep abreast of developments.

From last night's experience .... Traffic will be mad from 8 pm as people rush home and the public transport shuts down.

Traffic will be dead from 10 pm due to the curfew.

Touring in Thailand: I have a Laotian friend friend stuck in Pakse. He lives and works in BKK. He needs to get back to work in BKK and would like to know if the border is open and whether it's safe to travel by road to BKK. He had locals there telling him that the road to BKK is full of army road blocks and problems.

Anybody have hands-on info, please? Thanks