3bb vs ais fiber vs true online ( fttx)

primacybkk

The AIS Playbox is an Android box.  You should be able to load Kodi and / or hopefully add, or even find it's loaded by default, the Google Play Store from the AIS box.  From that you can then access regular paid streaming services like Netflix and / or iFlix, utilise paid IPTV services like Pulse, Flawless, Thai Expat TV or whatever or the free stream apps (the content from which can be variable).  

Worth trying the AIS box first.  If you get on with it and find that maybe it's not powerful / flexible enough you could start to look at other Android options such as the Minix Neo U1, Amazon Fire TV, Xiaomi Mi and Nvidia Shield, all of which will do more or less as described above.

There are several threads about this subject as a stand-alone (IPTV, UK TV Options, Android TV, Kodi etc.).

Edited by SooKee
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Giusy said:

After contacting AIS,  though they have fiber in the condo,   to my room (8th floor)  they can deliver only 50/10 Mbps

(and True even less 30/20).

Will it be enough for good TV streaming? 

Thanks 

36 minutes ago, Giusy said:

After contacting AIS,  though they have fiber in the condo,   to my room (8th floor)  they can deliver only 50/10 Mbps

(and True even less 30/20).

Will it be enough for good TV streaming? 

Thanks 

If you're only watching one tv, even the True 30/3 I have will do. I can watch sport in HD and it's rare for it to buffer even for one second.

• Like 1

The typical HD video stream requires at least a 3-5 Mbps steady data flow. Obviously, the more extra capacity you may have, the better.

That's NOT a 3-5 Mbps Thai ISP data plan. But rather, a Thai ISP plan that will produce at least 3-5 Mbps steady stream from whatever location you may be streaming it, whether domestic or international. And a plan that can provide that kind of stream even after any other internet use in your household that's occurring.

• Like 1

I upgraded from AIS Fibre 50/10 (Bt888/mo) to 100/10 (Bt1100/mo) today.  Below are some tests on various testers I ran today around noon today plus or minus approx 3 hours.  Non-VPN tests.  

Tests primarily run on testmy.net which is a single-thread (one pipe) tester vs OOKLA-based testers like Speedtest.net that use multiple-pipes, usually 2 or 4 pipes, for their testing kinda like how a download manager is able to use multi-threads to speedup downloads.   I concentrated primarily on download testing vs combine (download/upload) testing with testmy.net....only one upload test run on testmy.net.

Also included below are a few Speedtest.net  and DSL Reports HTML5 speed tester results....DSLReports can be set as either a single or multi-thread tester...I have it set to its default setting as a multi-thread test.  

All tests were run on my my home Wifi 5Ghz connection...with an ethernet connection the ping times would have probably been a couple milliseconds lower and maybe speeds a tad higher but I kinda doubt it speed-wise since I know my Wifi connection can easily handle approx realworld 275Mb download speed and around 200Mb upload speed based on testing I've done with my home server as the data source versus my internet plan

I'll probably be staying on the 100/10 plan until the AIS Fibre 200/10 plan which currently cost Bt1888/mo comes down significantly in price.  Bt1888/mo for internet is too pricey for me but I'm fine with Bt1100.   The way internet plan prices are dropping I might wake-up one morning to find AIS just automatically upgraded me to 200/10 at the my current 100/10 price, maybe upgraded the upload speed only, or who knows the way internet plan prices and packages are changing so rapidly.  I'm internet plan content for now.

Here are the results.

Done on Speedtest.net

Bangkok to Bangkok

5935695439.png

Bangkok to Singapore

5935692771.png

Bangkok to Los Angeles

5935763277.png

Bangkok to Paris

5935776651.png

Bangkok to UK

5935783422.png

Done on DSLReports HTML5 Speedtester.  Summary of 10 tests to Singapore...5 tests when still on 50/10...5 tests on 100/10.

Blue horizontal line is download speed....vertical lines are upload speed with all in the 10 to 12Mb speed range.

Capture.JPG

Done on Testmy.net.   Tested to London, Syndey, Tokyo, NY, LA, and Singapore.    

Note: When testing to UK and some continental Europe locations with testmy.net I have always got widely varying results from test to test...many times as even low as 2Mb to London.  Don't know if this is an AIS issue in their routing to that part of the world, bandwidth chokepoints into Europe/UK, or what.  I don't see such wide variations when testing to the U.S...I see variations but nothing as wide as when testing to UK/Europe.    

Capture.JPG

I called in (i.e., the AIS Fibre Call Center number of 1185) my upgrade request from 50/10 to 100/10 the second week of December. Since AIS switches a customer to a new plan "at the start of their monthly billing cycle" my upgrade couldn't go in effect until today/4 Jan (today) which was the start of my billing cycle.   But at 9am this morning the upgrade had still not kicked- in....even after rebooting the router several times if the router needed to be rebooted to make the change.  

I called AIS to say where is my upgrade?  Even gave them the name of the customer support rep who took the order in Dec.  The rep I was talking to obviously saw the info in their system based on his responses.  The rep then said the upgrade would now occur at the beginning of my next billing cycle in Feb---a nice way of saying, Whoops, your upgrade request you made 3 weeks ago didn't happen for some reason."    

After further discussion with an unhappy customer (i.e., me) and putting me on hold for a few minutes, when he came back on he said he can make the upgrade occur immediately....I just had to understand I would get two bills for the month....one for the 50Mb plan and one for the 100Mb plan.  A pro-rated bill of 1 day on the 50Mb plan and then 29 days on the 100Mb plan.  I said fine.  

He didn't something on his end and then I was speed testing at 100Mb speed....probably just took him to change one setting of my configuration profile to effect the change.    I reviewed the router's firmware setting after the upgrade and didn't see any settings change...the change(s) must had been on their customer account profile end and easy ones to make.

So, if you call in your upgrade order or make it online, if the upgrade isn't in effect in the early hours of the day it was suppose to go into effect a "whoops" has probably occurred.  Call AIS in the morning to tell them so they can fix the "whoops."

After a couple more hours of the 100/10 plan under my belt "browsing-wise" it's had to tell in difference in how fast webpages pull up because they were pulling up fast already under the 50/10 plan.  I'm pretty sure there is a little bit of browsing speed increase but not enough to write home about.   But browsing is a pretty simple task.  I'm sure most of my benefit will be in file downloading.

I'm happy.

Testmy.net to Singapore at 5:51pm

hMobI9iVf.png

Speedtest.net to Singapore at 5:53pm

5936087062.png

One other bit of good news in the upgrade from 50/10 to 100/10 I did get the free 12 months of HOOQ (TV/movies).   Either somewhere earlier in this thread or a similar thread I mentioned when calling AIS about the upgrade in early Dec one of the questions I asked was how will it affect my current free HOOQ good through late Oct 17  I got from the 50/10 plan signup since the 100/10 plan comes with 12 free months of HOOQ?

Would that 12 months just ad onto the Oct 17 date (I knew that was a real wish), would it be lost since I had seen wording when looking at the upgrade if ordering online it didn't mention any free HOOQ, and I had seen somewhere the free HOOQ for 12 months was only for new customers, not current customers?   All of those questions were in my mind although I only asked the rep in Dec if the 12 free months would just add-on to my current Oct 17 expiration date?   

Took the rep a few minutes to find out...guess he had to ask his supervisor/co-workers (or just go take a pee)...but his answer was as a current customer I would not get the free 12 months and my current HOOQ expiration date would remain the same of late Oct 17.   Now their online ad did not say for new customers only, but I know it not uncommon for current customers not be able to take full (or any) advantage of a new promotion without cancelling and rejoining which can be a pain sometimes.

But I just checked my account on the AIS Playbox screen and it shows me now on the 100/10 plan and an HOOQ start and expiration date of 4 Jan 17 and 4 Jan 18, respectively.  So, I did get the free 12 months of HOOQ; it just replaced my old HOOQ free months. Glad it worked out this way.

ThaiVisa has been having "slowness" problems over the last X-days....well, either slow for most/all to downright not working worth a durn for some depending on your internet provider.....that's being talked about in the Support Forum. 

And some primetime Testmy.net non-VPN download speed testing at around 9:30pm to London, Tokyo, Los Angeles and Singapore on my AIS Fibre 100/10 plan

Capture.JPG.9afa107ac9b0aaae1591fe40bbef4c6a.JPG

All the details that you've been supplying are great, it's fantastic to let everyone have so much data & background info, but good golly you must have spent a lot of time on it. Hope that getting faster Internet hasn't cost you more time in testing than what you'll ever gain back by having a faster connection.
  • Haha 1

Naw...these speed tests take little time to run...and little time to cut and paste to a post.    Hope it helps other people in making a decision on which ISP to go with "if" they have an ISP choice.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Pib said:

Testmy.net to Singapore at 5:51pm

hMobI9iVf.png

One of the noteworthy differences between AIS and 3BB fiber, at least for my 200/50 MB 3BB plan in BKK, is 3BB appears to greatly benefit from using a VPN for international connections, and comparatively suffers without using a VPN.  Whereas AIS for now seems to do pretty good without using a VPN. But since I use and want a VPN most of the time, that situation with 3BB fiber is perfectly fine for my purposes.

Testmy.net to Singapore at 5+ pm without a VPN

Test My Sing 3BB direct 5 pm 1.png

In multiple tests, my no VPN results were in the 23-25 Mbps range.

Testmy.net to Singapore at 5+ pm with a Singapore-based PPTP-VPN

Test My Sing 3BB PPTP Sing 5 pm 1.png

In multiple tests, my with VPN results were in the 130-150+ Mbps range.

(PS-I tried to do a comparable 50 MB download with the VPN-connection test, but it finished too quickly for the speed test, so it automatically bumped up the test download to the indicated 200 MB size, in order to get a test of sufficient duration.)

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

@ TallGuy,

Yea, AIS does seem to significantly  better 3BB in non-VPN testmy.net (single-thread) tests, even with lower speed AIS plans.   And I base that not only on posts I've seen here on TV like your post, but when comparing the AIS and 3BB results in the Testmy.net database and doing my best to compare similar speed plans between the two ISPs.  

And for VPN results in the Testmy.net database a person can only see his own results; he can not see other folks VPN results to the best of my knowledge.  Like I can see my VPN results below in the database but I can not see your VPN tests you ran above.   However, I can see your non-VPN results.

Here's some VPN and non-VPN tests I just run with my AIS Fibre 100/10...I'm use PureVPN.

Non-VPN to Singapore

JKPHwtfO8.png

VPN PPTP to Singapore (strange such a big when going to a VPN connection....I retested several times and even tried a VPN L2TP connection...didn't help.  That didn't happen when on the AIS 50/10 plan as Signapore VPN connection pretty much resulted in a same, or slightly better or worst speed than a non-VPN connection.  May just be a PureVPN server issue this time of day....if I remember I check again to Singapore over the coming days).

1Hcg4Qqt2.png

Non-VPN to Los Angeles

mny4107rK.png

VPN PPTP to Los Angeles

(More typical of what I'm use to seeing with my AIS Fibre PureVPN connections....kinda similar results to a non-VPN connection.  And more in line with what "generally" suppose to happen with a VPN connection in getting no better speed than a non-VPN connection. Now when I was on True DOCSIS/cable 15Mb plan, a VPN connection almost always significantly increased the speed of international connections and I was using PureVPN then like now.   A lot depends on the configuration of your ISPs network as to how well or not-so- well it responses speed-wise to a VPN connection (i.e., getting around throttling/shaping).

zFVnwBpXJ.png

52 minutes ago, Pib said:

@ TallGuy,

Yea, AIS does seem to significantly  better 3BB in non-VPN testmy.net (single-thread) tests, even with lower speed AIS plans.   And I base that not only on posts I've seen here on TV like your post, but when comparing the AIS and 3BB results in the Testmy.net database and doing my best to compare similar speed plans between the two ISPs.  

And for VPN results in the Testmy.net database a person can only see his own results; he can not see other folks VPN results to the best of my knowledge.  Like I can see my VPN results below in the database but I can not see your VPN tests you ran above.   However, I can see your non-VPN results.

Here's some VPN and non-VPN tests I just run with my AIS Fibre 100/10...I'm use PureVPN.

Non-VPN to Singapore

JKPHwtfO8.png

VPN PPTP to Singapore (strange such a big when going to a VPN connection....I retested several times and even tried a VPN L2TP connection...didn't help.  That didn't happen when on the AIS 50/10 plan as Signapore VPN connection pretty much resulted in a same, or slightly better or worst speed than a non-VPN connection.  May just be a PureVPN server issue this time of day....if I remember I check again to Singapore over the coming days).

1Hcg4Qqt2.png

Non-VPN to Los Angeles

mny4107rK.png

VPN PPTP to Los Angeles

(More typical of what I'm use to seeing with my AIS Fibre PureVPN connections....kinda similar results to a non-VPN connection.  And more in line with what "generally" suppose to happen with a VPN connection in getting no better speed than a non-VPN connection. Now when I was on True DOCSIS/cable 15Mb plan, a VPN connection almost always significantly increased the speed of international connections and I was using PureVPN then like now.   A lot depends on the configuration of your ISPs network as to how well or not-so- well it responses speed-wise to a VPN connection (i.e., getting around throttling/shaping).

zFVnwBpXJ.png

I don't get this, how come your power home package is beating my powerpro package LOS angeles testmy.net Speedtest. I am supposed to get higher international speed. Looks like time to call AIS. Maybe location has something to do with it. My house being in downtown sukhumvit surrounded by high rise condos.

i am only getting 26-27 mb to LA whereas you are getting like 50+

Edited by shariq607

Remember, I'm on the AIS Fibre 100/10 plan now; just upgraded from the 50/10 plan.

But even before when well did some limited comparison speed testing of my PowerHome 50/10 plan and your PowerPro 50/10 plan if I remember right you beat me on some tests and I beat you on others.

I'm over here in the western Bangkok suburbs....in a standalone house.

Edited by Pib

1 hour ago, Pib said:

VPN PPTP to Los Angeles

zFVnwBpXJ.png

And two hours later into the evening, I'm getting 45 to 50 Mbps to LA via 3BB 200/50 and an LA PPTP:

(monthly price -- 1284b including tax)

TestMy LA via 3BB w LA PPTP 1.jpg

Beats my AIS 100/10 VPN PPTP connection to LA done about 17 minutes after your above VPN test to LA.

6qljLSRNo.png

But on a non-VPN connection to LA

urIcXbfij.png

International bandwidth/speed can can vary so much over a 24 hour period...change minute to minute....different days might be better than other days, etc.   Preaching to the choir I know

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Remember, I'm on the AIS Fibre 100/10 plan now; just upgraded from the 50/10 plan.

But even before when well did some limited comparison speed testing of my PowerHome 50/10 plan and your PowerPro 50/10 plan if I remember right you beat me on some tests and I beat you on others.

I'm over here in the western Bangkok suburbs....in a standalone house.

Yes I know, I also have been upgraded from 50/20 package to 100/40 but I am still getting lower speeds to LA than you but it's same for Singapore getting around 95-96 mbps for sg.

Singapore is probably not a good place to use as a comparison between a standard and premium plan since there seems to be plenty of cheap bandwidth between Thailand and Singapore.  Even on True cable I got pretty much full speed to Singapore...was almost like a Thailand location.  

But when reaching beyond beyond Singapore, especially to the U.S. and Europe, that's where the international speed can go to crap.

20 minutes ago, Pib said:

Singapore is probably not a good place to use as a comparison between a standard and premium plan since there seems to be plenty of cheap bandwidth between Thailand and Singapore.  Even on True cable I got pretty much full speed to Singapore...was almost like a Thailand location.  

But when reaching beyond beyond Singapore, especially to the U.S. and Europe, that's where the international speed can go to crap.

I wasn't comparing Singapore as i am already getting similar speeds to you but for Los Angeles and other locations I do not get anywhere near your speeds. I have already called AIS,  they promised me to look into it and call me back within 24 hours.

Time for me to go night-night....wish I could say I was going to go watch some HBO on TrueVisions but I can't since 1 Jan.  

Two download testmy.net results I just run to LA and Singapore below on my AIS 100/10.   Good night to all.

To LA

KXcvgown6.png

To Singapore

1U7eLcV0m.png

I agree with Shariq67, I also upgraded from 50/10 with AIS to 100/10 and I'm also not getting anywhere near the results Pib is getting.

I talked to a "supervisor" this morning 9.30 a.m and she tried to explain all the crap about International limits, but I quoted the results Pib was getting and said as I was paying the same I wanted the same results. She said she understood and would look into it, they have been mucking about with it for most of the day, but at the moment I am getting the same poor results.

I actually think my results to Europe are worse.

Good luck with your phone call in 24 hours, please let me know what happens.

Interesting thread.  I'm on 3BB 200/50 fibre here in Chiang Mai at the moment but move to BKK next week.  The condo I'm going to can get fibre connections from either AIS, True or TOT.  No 3BB but in all honesty I've not been that impressed with 3BB here, maybe in BKK it's better but the speed is often lousy here, so not having 3BB is no loss to me.

I'm also planning to subscribe to ExpressVPN for a year so I'd need to use a router that enables me to set that up (in most cases I can use it on device specific apps but for the soon to arrive Amazon Fire TV I need to set it on the router - unless I string a second router as a VPN access point only but that starts to get too cluttery on the box front for my liking).

I'm figuring AIS has the best all round deal at the moment, what with 10% off if you switch your mobile to AIS plus a free Playbox.  Not sure if their default supplied equipment can be used with a VPN (e.g do AIS enable user configuration for this or is it locked off in the settings the same way 3BB disable the ability to set bridge mode on theirs) or indeed whether it's better to buy a flashable router to install with the VPN app (e.g. a Linksys WRT 1900 AC which has an Express VPN specific flash update available) but if I'm looking at that, for the same money, I might even go for the D-Link DIR 895L they have on promotion (£200 for a router - never thought I'd do it).  Looks to be a good deal given that the router is still around $300 AFAIK.  I'd be pretty amazed if that can't be configured for a VPN.  I've just quickly looked at the Express VPN site and I've seen reference to DDNS services (which they talk open using for setting up an Apple TV) which I know you can configure with AIS but I'm not sure if it's the same thing (only just starting to get my head round this so more reading to be done).  Currently I use an Airport Extreme router (which I've never been that impressed with but use it because I have it - I was WELL underwhelmed with the wifi performance from it which is barely better than the crappo freebie boxes supplied by ISPs - and as Apple seem to have abandoned the Airports also now it's time to look elsewhere) and that also cannot be configured for VPN unless going the clutter option of a second router.

Only one thing that concerns me with AIS.  They use Carrier Grade NAT for their Home Pro service which I think will screw me up for using Plex which I use to be able to access local media from my server when I'm travelling.  With Plex, remote access requires port forwarding which won't work with the double NAT situation that CGN puts you in.  I know you can configure port forwarding with AIS via THDDNS but I still think you are in a double NAT situation.

I just hope that once I subscribe to Express that the loophole doesn't get closed that allows it to access Netflix and Amazon given the crusade by the former to lock down it's regions.

• Like 1