Giving up on Pattaya

aussiexpat

1 hour ago, FarangULong said:

But yeah, if you get a degree in a decent field, you CAN make upwards of 6 figures per year (especially IT). And that also buys you a house.

Never met anyone in IT that made significant money.

What was this topic again?

Edited by BritManToo

55 minutes ago, rott said:

The bar scene is pretty much the same as it's always been (excl covid). And are you another who seriously compares bar prices with shops/supermarkets.?

If you open your eyes and walk along Soi Buakhao there are a number of bars where you can get a 620 ml bottle for around 80 baht. 

If you are regularly served warm beer in bars you are picking the wrong places. Or not telling the truth. 

The situation with the bars serving beer that is older than their illegitimates has been addressed, here.  It is rare when you see a fridge set below 5c, many even have regulators not allowing below 4c...the manufacturers say 36f or 2.22c, so even if they didn't turn off the cooler at night, or load it with warm ones..it would be impossible to get one that has ever been at the correct drinking temp.  Seen a few use ice bins, but they think it works better with 27c water Added to the bins, and what you get is a beer out of barely chilled water.  

Edited by moontang
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Well digital nomads don't count.

I'm talking about actual programmers, people selling software (such as CRM), etc. They all easily make that much.

3 hours ago, rott said:

There was no mention by me of sell-by dates, so you've lost me there. 

It is a rare event to get a beer that is not cold enough and when it has happened, usually they can change it. For you to experience it as a regular thing I find difficult to believe, perhaps you need to try somewhere different. 

Likewise if you don't like being bothered by katoeys or bargirls (neither do I) don't go to tranny bars or girlie bars. 

Meanwhile, most bars have a negative resale value..sorry you can't understand that a beer out of a cooler set on 4c will not possibly be cold enough.  Can't read the fill date?  Perhaps, an exchange of the bottle bottoms would be more efficient than attempting an exchange with an angry, desperate lady.

Edited by moontang
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, moontang said:

Meanwhile, most bars have a negative resale value..sorry you can't understand that a beer out of a cooler set on 4c will not possibly be cold enough.  Can't read the fill date?  Perhaps, an exchange of the bottle bottoms would be more efficient than attempting an exchange with an angry, desperate lady.

Once again you start with a red herring "most bars have a negative resale value". So what.? No one mentioned anything about it. No one cares. Bars have been a buyers market for a long time. It is rare to hear a complaint about the temp of the beer. Most of us go in bars to drink the stuff and generally fail to check the sell by date. Sorry about that. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, rott said:

Once again you start with a red herring "most bars have a negative resale value". So what.? No one mentioned anything about it. No one cares. Bars have been a buyers market for a long time. It is rare to hear a complaint about the temp of the beer. Most of us go in bars to drink the stuff and generally fail to check the sell by date. Sorry about that. 

People close to the bar business with zero understanding of refrigeration and freshness?  Perhaps, a look in the mirror, or a walk through the abandoned strip malls that look like they were victim to a riot.

Bread isle..well known grocer...

IMG_20200920_204914.jpg

Edited by moontang
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I didn't do too badly....but then I was Contract only for the last 20 years of my working life; prior I spent quite a long time working overseas.

Retired at 55 home paid for 2 decades ago - can afford a decent car. And next year my State Pension commences. 

Sadly, my long-term pleasure of travelling (Thailand and other places) is on hold for some indeterminate time....ho hum! ????

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Nobody in his right mind comes in Pattaya for the quality of the beach, the temples, the food

we are all here for the girls (Or the boys, or the ladyboys, well there is a way for everyone here)

A few guys came by mistake, usualy they don't stay long and never return

few come because they were send here for work by their company

and they are more than happy to come back to their country of origin

at the end of the contract, particularly if they were here with their family

can i ask you why you come in Pattaya ?

I live in BKK...used to stay at a friend's house in HH, but he sold it last year.

Was going out with lady from Ayutthaya, who works in Patts, and it is easy to get too.  I thought the beach at Jomtien was acceptable.  Once the flag men return to HH, Jomtien will look better..just too many sloppy pigs working in hotels and restaurants, and their products reflect that.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

You don't live in Pattaya. so It does make sense

and explain your posts. The most critics about Pattaya

are usualy the ones not living here.

The beach in Jomtiem is not very different from the beach in Pattaya

and the sea is the same aswell, with ''the droplets of oil in the water''

Hua Hin is nice, but the city is a little bit too quiet and boring from my

point of view, it should be perfect if i was 80 years old or more.

thank you for your answer

Maybe it is the abundance of transvestites, beggars, and or criminals on the beach in Patts, made me biased, but as of six weeks ago, Jomtien did seem significantly cleaner than Patts.  And I spend hours a day in the water.  Got a nice room in the Scandie section of HH for 320...three minutes walk to the best beach in HH, but there are certainly issues here..As far as food and the locals, CM is many times nicer, but unfortunately it turned into a rat infested, tour bus destination, too.  So, I would say, if you are happy with your surroundings, good for you, enjoy it while you can, because just about everything they touch turns to shiit.  One bedroom condos off plan are 7.89 million..3 would be a stretch.

Edited by moontang
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Well thats where you're completely and utterly wrong

Now I dont come for the quality of the beach per se but I certainly enjoy the beach, the swimming pools, the sun, the weather, the food. the shopping and the general ambience and despite exchange rates doing the above is still very cheap

The Girls I've always viewed as a great bonus at the end of the night

The superb sunsets in Patts are a big plus to end an afternoon of cold, fresh beers out of my cooler on the beach.  Sunsets over the hills in HH, are as bland as a pot pie.  Never seen the jellyfish in Patts..maybe a benefit of being so close to the Exxon refinery.  The rains seem to bring them to HH, but at least they don't have a flagman and stand in the road taking pictures.  

On 8/26/2020 at 11:59 PM, shdmn said:

Now is probably a good time for bargain hunters.

It certainly is. 3 condos (of 5) have already been sold in my building in the last 2 months, all at around half price because the owner were desperate... condos that were previously valued at around 9 million. One guy bought two.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chivas said:

Well thats where you're completely and utterly wrong

Now I dont come for the quality of the beach per se but I certainly enjoy the beach, the swimming pools, the sun, the weather, the food. the shopping and the general ambience and despite exchange rates doing the above is still very cheap

The Girls I've always viewed as a great bonus at the end of the night

Reading your answer i am not at all ''completely and utterly wrong''

but you are not alone to be in a form of deny

if it wasn't the girls, a lot of others places

offer you a much better deal for the beach

the swimming, the sun. the weather, the food

the shopping and the general ambience.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JensenZ said:

It certainly is. 3 condos (of 5) have already been sold in my building in the last 2 months, all at around half price because the owner were desperate... condos that were previously valued at around 9 million. One guy bought two.

wait again 6 months

the prices will be down the drain

more desperation is coming after the ''high season'' not happens

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

wait again 6 months

the prices will be down the drain

more desperation is coming after the ''high season'' not happens

If you'd seen these particular condos, the buyer hit the jackpot. 250 m2, full floor with balconies on 4 sides, 4 bedrooms. lift entrance... and in a premium location on the hill. The seller was the son of the original owner who died and left over 20 condos to him... so he wasn't desperate for money (spoiled son) and just wanted to offload them as fast as possible. It was a matter of being in the right place at the right time... but I agree, deals will improve as the months tick on.  

Edited by JensenZ
  • Like 1