It's just a small thing - don't bother with the insurance...

pedro01

I'm one of these people that would prefer to pay for small scrapes in the car - because claiming just bumps up your premiums.

That is - until today. The wife was very lucky - some lunatic overtook her so close that it took off the wing-mirror. He didn't stop.

So here's me thinking "when that drunk chap took the wing mirror off our 5 series one lunchtime, it was 20k for the mirror" - I can deal with that....

Until.... I got this from MB today....

ouchMirror.png.93b0cb49690afd88fea372c4ac5feeb8.png

Line by line:

Mirror Frame - Thai Price 20,810 ($666), online price $339

Mirror Bowl (with Glass) - Thai price 13,560 ($434), online $253

Lower Cover - Thai Price 1,930 ($61), online $41.25

Mirror Cover - Thai Price 6,030 ($193), online $156

Basically $1,353 for a wing mirror.

Anyone know a cheaper source for such things before I go to the insurance? That's pretty much my premium for the year!

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Back in the days when we could still travel, I would always pick up a handful of needed BMW parts on any trip to North America. Brake pads, bulbs, interior and exterior trim, ignition coils, door lock and window actuators, anything I thought I needed and would fit in checked luggage. Genuine BMW parts 20%-50% cheaper online in the US than from dealers in Thailand. Not an option now, of course.

I wonder if anyone has mailed auto parts to Thailand and what treatment they got from Customs? I suspect duty rates are high.

It's not just Thailand. Back in the UK my brother drives an old VW Passat estate. It has one of those push-button operated hand brakes which is snazzier than the lever-and-cable type, but a month or so back it suddenly stopped working. He took it to the garage he uses (a cheap place as it's an old car, not the official VW dealer) and they said it was the pads that the hand brake applies when it's activated that had frozen and that bit of the assembly needed replacing. Total bill was £450, for fixing the hand brake in a 15+ year old car. He said the garage owner had told him the bill would have been close on double that if he'd taken it to the main dealer.

The solution is to only buy cars that have a 5 or 7 year warranty and change them before it runs out. Not sure which ones have that in Thailand, but I think Kia offer it.  

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

It's not just Thailand. Back in the UK my brother drives an old VW Passat estate. It has one of those push-button operated hand brakes which is snazzier than the lever-and-cable type, but a month or so back it suddenly stopped working. He took it to the garage he uses (a cheap place as it's an old car, not the official VW dealer) and they said it was the pads that the hand brake applies when it's activated that had frozen and that bit of the assembly needed replacing. Total bill was £450, for fixing the hand brake in a 15+ year old car. He said the garage owner had told him the bill would have been close on double that if he'd taken it to the main dealer.

The solution is to only buy cars that have a 5 or 7 year warranty and change them before it runs out. Not sure which ones have that in Thailand, but I think Kia offer it.  

Warranty won't help OEM extortionist parts prices for damage repairs.  

Only solution for this situation is decent quality Non OEM parts, if they are available.

Edited by Jitar

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

My I respectfully suggest the solution is to only buy cars manufactured or assembled in the country you live in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fantom said:

My I respectfully suggest the solution is to only buy cars manufactured or assembled in the country you live in.

The OP has a Mercedes and they assemble a lot of models in Thailand.  The OP does not say if the car concerned was fully imported.  It would be interesting to compare the parts costs for Mercedes locally assembled and imported models.  I would not be surprised if there is little difference.  

Generally OEM parts prices seem to be as much related to market as production of shipping cost.   

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

They punish you for having an expensive car. Mirror the price of a Honda Click, totally crazy

Furthermore, the OP could just get a Honda Click wing mirror and bodge that on. Believe me, with all that tinted glass, nobody will notice.

In the USA there was a plentiful supply of spare parts at salvage yards.  In the case of some parts like mirrors you could even search for the matching color so all it needed to be done was to mount it.  Don't know about Thailand.  I suppose you could buy online in the USA and have shipped DHL but by the time you are done paying for the part plus international shipping it wont be cheap either. 

Back in 2006 I purchased a BMW X5 because my accountant was at me for years trying to convince me that having a prestige car would reduce my tax bill while I would also be driving a nice car, i.e. pay the tax or ride off the tax via the car.

What he didn't tell me was that I would be spending around the same amount in tax dollars for the first year on the car, e.g. depreciation, lease payments, rego, insurance, tyres, services, brakes etc etc, suffice to say I kept it for 3 years and sold it for half what I paid for it.

As the saying goes, you have to have deep pockets to drive a prestige car, and even though I have deep pockets, I don't like throwing money down the drain, as much as I enjoyed driving the car, I would rather have the money in the bank or invested, I can drive a Ford Ranger all the same with minimal outlay every year.

As the other saying goes, cash is king when you can get it through jobs, beats the hell out of paying tax ????

Edited by 4MyEgo

A pair of mirrors for my Honda Wave ฿180

But the lesson should be to have a dashcam that can show them the responsible third party even if they ran away. That way it wont count against you regarding next years premium.

If claimed on one's own insurance, the premiums will go up no matter who was at fault.

Edited by Curt1591

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I see your post is really helpful as well, plus you re-post mine just in case anyone missed it.

It just seems odd to me that someone would spend that kind of dough on a car and then complain that the parts are expensive. 

The price did not seem that high to me. 

Sorry sir but I did not re-post, but to answer one's need to quote,  otherwise it would not be understandable. My post did not intended to be useful I was joking that's not against the forum rules ????