Car tax sticker renewal for next year, can we do it now ? Does everybody renew it at the same time ?

thepdru

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Do you remember the actual process?

It may be useful to other members who want to store a vehicle for a long period.

That said, I note another poster who says that there's not an equivalent to a SORN in Thailand.

Mr Google will help.....SORN.gov.uk or something similar.

Registration renewal is quick and easy. Even on a day when your local DLT office is choked with applicants for drivers licenses, the queue for registration is minimal.

Even better, on Saturdays the Pattaya DLT operates a remote desk on the top floor of the Central Festival mall. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

You can renew your tax sticker 3 months before the current one expire.

Note, if your car is 5 years or older, your also need a vehicle inspection. 

Post deleted.  

Edited by brewsterbudgen
Already answered.

21 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

You can renew your tax sticker 3 months before the current one expire.

Note, if your car is 5 years or older, your also need a vehicle inspection. 

I thought it was 7 years. I renewed mine in January and dandy need one. Car was 6 years old.

I must get my truck inspected annually because of its age. The place I take it in our nearby town charges 200 baht for the inspection. For an additional 200 baht they offer to collect the registration fee and take the blue book to the DLT an hour away. I return to the inspection station to collect the book and registration sticker 1-2 days later.

Edited by KeeTua
seeking perfection but doomed to fail

There  was a web site that you could put your vehicle details in and it would tell you how much tax you have to pay , But now I can not find it , Anybody know what the website is ( it was in English ) so you put the vehicle model in , the engine size in , and the date it was registered , it then came up with how much Bhat you had to pay .

Oh no.  Using a broker to register the vehicle.  It really isn't that difficult.

The date your registration expires depends on when it was first registered.

You have to have Pah Lah Bah insurance to register(it only covers medical, not property)  They have agents selling it inside the DLT office if you don't have it.  It only costs about 680 baht.

After a car/truck is 7 years old you have to get the smog/safety check done.  There are normally places located close to the DLT office.

Makes you wonder though how those smoke belchers pass the test.

23 hours ago, Surelynot said:

...a what???

If your car is 5 years old or more, prior getting a new sticker, your car must be checked about it's mechanic condition (breakes etc.). It's a small thing taking just a few minutes, and if your car is well maintained, absolutely no problem, and not expensive at all.. At some smaller DLT-offices, such checking outlets are right adjacent.

The process is simple.
Every year you need to renew your registration/tax decal. You can do it up to 3 months ahead of time but keep in mind, the actual due date will stay the same. So if you are due in March but you renew in January, your next renewal date will be March of the year after next. (There is no real advantage to renewing early except for convenience.) Kind of like how you can renew your Extension of Stay early, but it will still expire on the same day next year anyways.

One stop shopping.
Go to a Vehicle Inspection place close to you with your vehicle and the green book. (This is Thailand so have your passport with you - just in case they ask for it.)

If the vehicle needs to be inspected, they will do it (usually on the spot). Most of those places also sell the mandatory gov't insurance as well (well, arrange for it). There's no need to go to the DLT or have an agent to do it.

When I get my bikes done, they do the inspection, I pay for that and the insurance, they keep the green book overnight and the next day I go back and get the book and my new decal (and insurance paper).
It really doesn't get any easier than that. 

All vehicle inspection shops have the same sign:
post-81192-0-27856200-1456382403_thumb.jpg.fdca40aab1998f1bdee5e22e0c58bf3e.jpg

The places often look very similar too. A covered inspection bay with a small building on the side like this one:

Untitled.png.af9c616b3dd4e50f7a26066e8851cd04.png

They are literally everywhere. Should be easy to find one near you.

I have had the same thing done out on Route 36 next to the DLT. The ONLY advantage to doing it there is they can usually get the decal and insurance back to you within an hour.
If you go to a place that's close to you, it's not big deal to just go back the next day to get your book and decal.
You can do it on your scooter or walk there if it's close enough (as in, you don't have to drive back in the same vehicle that you are getting the decal for).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, paddyfield7 said:

If your car is 5 years old or more, prior getting a new sticker, your car must be checked about it's mechanic condition (breakes etc.). It's a small thing taking just a few minutes, and if your car is well maintained, absolutely no problem, and not expensive at all.. At some smaller DLT-offices, such checking outlets are right adjacent.

If the car is 7 years old, not 5. No inspection until the 7th year.

• Like 2

On 11/15/2020 at 5:26 PM, thepdru said:

Thank you, but for everybody it will be before the Thai new year in April ? I am still confused about why it's different for different cars ?!

Maybe your car tax date is linked to the original purchase date from new?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Maybe your car tax date is linked to the original purchase date from new?

Your annual car tax date is linked to the date when the car is first registered at the land transport office i.e. the day you get rid of the red plates and get the white ones and not the day that you buy the car.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Your annual car tax date is linked to the date when the car is first registered at the land transport office i.e. the day you get rid of the red plates and get the white ones and not the day that you buy the car.

So what happens when someone drives around on red plates for 8 months like my neighbour did?

On 11/15/2020 at 5:26 PM, Crossy said:

It has a month too. We do ours about a month early (two cars, two different months).

Don't forget you need the compulsory insurance to renew which may or may not be included with your main insurance.

Also, depending on the age of the vehicle, don't forget Technical Control...

17 hours ago, rwill said:

Oh no.  Using a broker to register the vehicle.  It really isn't that difficult.

The date your registration expires depends on when it was first registered.

You have to have Pah Lah Bah insurance to register(it only covers medical, not property)  They have agents selling it inside the DLT office if you don't have it.  It only costs about 680 baht.

After a car/truck is 7 years old you have to get the smog/safety check done.  There are normally places located close to the DLT office.

Makes you wonder though how those smoke belchers pass the test.

Makes you also wondering why police at check-points rather turn their back to those smoke belchers, instead of taking the stinky car off the road, or at least write down their car licence plate.....

• Haha 1

On 11/15/2020 at 5:31 PM, thaisail said:

The tax is due about one year after you buy the car and get the permanent license tag. So if you buy your car in June, you will get your permanent license tag around September. So every year in September, you will be due to renew your registration. 

unless you buy a used vehicle and then it is the same date as previous owner, I found out the hard way, 1000 baht fine

• Like 1

16 hours ago, flexomike said:

unless you buy a used vehicle and then it is the same date as previous owner, I found out the hard way, 1000 baht fine

That is because you cannot read the date in Th. Why 1000 Thb, it is calculated on the amount of days late.......

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 9:54 AM, paddyfield7 said:

Makes you also wondering why police at check-points rather turn their back to those smoke belchers, instead of taking the stinky car off the road, or at least write down their car licence plate.....

Completely untrue... including Th Nationals.

On 11/17/2020 at 9:45 AM, JAS21 said:

No change. Your neighbor will not pay Road Tax until the car is registered at the land transport office.

I do believe that a new car should be registered within 30 days. However in practice this doesn’t happen very often, but I do believe you can be fined.

Also important to keep in mind:' NORMALLY' you are not allowed to drive outside the Province where car has been red plates registered during that period.

42 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

Also important to keep in mind:' NORMALLY' you are not allowed to drive outside the Province where car has been red plates registered during that period.

I think you can leave the province, but you have to update it in the book.

3 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

??????????

The red plates come with a book that you are supposed to fill out when you travel outside the province and when you return.

I think you are also not allowed to dive at night either.

None of this is enforced.

• Haha 1