Trump, Pence, other top officials to be offered COVID-19 vaccine - source

webfact

Trump, Pence, other top officials to be offered COVID-19 vaccine - source

By Steve Holland and David Shepardson

2020-12-13T221651Z_1_LYNXMPEGBC0IC_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP.JPG

FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump is accompanied by Vice President Mike Pence as he speaks during a meeting with Serbia's President Aleksandar Vucic and Kosovo's Prime Minister Avdullah Hoti at the White House in Washington, U.S., September 4, 2020. REUTERS/Leah Millis

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump, Vice President Mike Pence and other top U.S. officials will be offered the newly approved COVID-19 vaccine beginning on Monday as part of a plan aimed at ensuring the continuity of government, a source familiar with the plans said.

Essential personnel at the White House and certain officials in all three branches of government were to be vaccinated within the next 10 days, said the source.

It was not immediately clear whether Trump would get the vaccine immediately, given that he has already contracted the novel coronavirus and recovered.

It was also not clear whether President-elect Joe Biden, Vice President-elect Kamala Harris and other members of Biden's transition team would be offered vaccinations.

A U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advisory panel on Saturday recommended the nation's first COVID-19 vaccine developed by Pfizer Inc and BioNTech SE, as the U.S. COVID-19 death toll topped 298,000.

Doses of the vaccine will reach 145 locations across the country on Monday, with initial doses to go to healthcare workers and elderly residents of long-term care homes.

National Security Council spokesman John Ullyot said senior officials in the executive branch, Congress and judiciary would also receive vaccinations in line with a protocol aimed at ensuring the U.S. government can continue to operate during a pandemic or catastrophic emergency.

"The American people should have confidence that they are receiving the same safe and effective vaccine as senior officials of the United States government on the advice of public health professionals and national security leadership," Ullyot said in a statement.

A senior administration official said a comprehensive "National Continuity Policy" was established by the administration of former President Barack Obama in July 2016.

"This will further ensure that the United States government will continue essential operations, without interruption, for our citizens as we continue to fight this pandemic and work toward a return to prosperity for our nation," the official said.

(Reporting by Steve Holland and David Shepardson; Writing by Andrea Shalal; Editing by Daniel Wallis)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-12-14

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

t contrasts a lot to the “amazing team” of 30 doctors and care Trump after being flown to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center by helicopter despite claiming only mild symptoms and now he is first in line for the vaccine previously he was claiming he didn’t need because he is now immune. 

It also contrasts a lot to the way foreigners are isolated and cared for in Thailand. 

More Thai have died of covid in Europe, the USA and the Middle East  than the 57 who have died in Thailand (+3 foreigners) with many being refused any decent medical care such as in this case. 

Yes the sadness of the unfair distribution of resources dependent on birth and finances

4 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

many being refused any decent medical care such as in this case

Hey, that is America. You get everything if you pay for it. Otherwise you die. That's their lifestyle over there.

And luckily no Thai person is forced to visit the USA. Just stay home in Thailand. No covid - no problem. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/14/2020 at 6:49 AM, RJRS1301 said:

The whole transition team should be offered the vaccinines as well as the current incumbent and his team.

On 12/14/2020 at 7:37 AM, keith101 said:

He most definately should not be given the vaccine , he believes he is immune now after getting the virus and recovered and goes for all the others in his inner circle that have also got and recovered . Their are people who should receive it and IMO the GOP who have supported his ongoing lies about Covid-19 should also be excluded .

On 12/14/2020 at 8:23 AM, shdmn said:

Why would they need early access to a vaccine when they have all been calling it a hoax or no worse than the flu?

While I agree with the sentiment 'he should not receive a vaccine', I think in his present role, even though golfing seems to be his main occupation, he still should have the opportunity to get it.

Edited by onthedarkside
quote of hidden post removed
  • Sad 2

52 minutes ago, stevenl said:

While I agree with the sentiment 'he should not receive a vaccine', I think in his present role, even though golfing seems to be his main occupation, he still should have the opportunity to get it.

I have to agree, as much as I do not like Trump, he is still the POTUS and should be given the vaccine as soon as possible, along with VPOTUS. I also agree the President Elect and Vice President Elect should be given the vaccine as soon as possible as well (AND ALL OF THE SECRET SERVICE THAT HAVE TO PROTECT THEM)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tie Dye Samurai said:

I have to agree, as much as I do not like Trump, he is still the POTUS and should be given the vaccine as soon as possible, along with VPOTUS. I also agree the President Elect and Vice President Elect should be given the vaccine as soon as possible as well (AND ALL OF THE SECRET SERVICE THAT HAVE TO PROTECT THEM)

and the golf caddy

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

President Donald Trump, Vice President Mike Pence and other top U.S. officials will be offered the newly approved COVID-19 vaccine beginning on Monday as part of a plan aimed at ensuring

that the rift in the country can continue to grow without interruption.

• Like 1

I am not in favor of priority being given to senior gov't officials.   If they fall in one of the risk groups due to age or pre-existing conditions, then they should be given when those groups receive it.   They have the advantage of not having to meet with people in person.  The cashier at the local grocery store has no choice but meet people face-to-face and can't make them put a mask on.   

Most gov't officials are not essential.  Many have proven they aren't even necessary.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Srikcir said:

The US Supreme Court Has already vaccinated The Trump regime from fascism. 

You are giving them too much credit.  They will vote in favor of fascism incrementally given the right circumstances.  I can't tell you what those circumstances will be yet.  Probably something involving voter suppression.  Maybe something that makes it harder to vote by mail.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, oompie69 said:

That is of course if he had it in the first place. With his track record of lying, he and his sycophants should be at the back of the line. 

My thoughts exactly. What was it, 2 days in hospital? - most of which he seemed to spend making videos, twitter comments and riding around in cars for the TV news?

Funny that he contracted the 'hoax' virus shortly before the election when the polls weren't looking so good for him.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

My thoughts exactly. What was it, 2 days in hospital? - most of which he seemed to spend making videos, twitter comments and riding around in cars for the TV news?

Funny that he contracted the 'hoax' virus shortly before the election when the polls weren't looking so good for him.

With his rallies, events and consistent lack of precautions, he was bound to get infected.

• Like 1

As of now, these people are given the best possible medical care, experimental treatments not available to the rest of the population and treatments that are approved but in extremely short supply.   Now, they want priority on the vaccine as well?

I think that should be a BIG no.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Credo said:

As of now, these people are given the best possible medical care, experimental treatments not available to the rest of the population and treatments that are approved but in extremely short supply.   Now, they want priority on the vaccine as well?

I think that should be a BIG no.

While simultaneously trying to call the pandemic a hoax or being blown out of proportion just to make bunker boy look bad or whatever.

Fifth District Congressman-elect Bob Good calls COVID-19 pandemic ‘phony’ and mask-wearing a ‘hoax’

So they are still doing it while simultaneously trying to take credit for the early arrival of a vaccine (why is there a vaccine for a hoax virus?) and wanting to be at the front of the line to get a shot.  These hypocrits have no shame.

Edited by onthedarkside
news link headline corrected to actual one from article
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

With his rallies, events and consistent lack of precautions, he was bound to get infected.

You may well be correct but have you heard of anyone else who needed hospitalisation, spending just 2 days in hospital? Maybe he was infected but didn't really need hospital treatment - that could have been for effect?

I remember at the time his doctors refused to comment on the date of his first positive test - anyone know if that information was ever revealed?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KhaoYai said:

You may well be correct but have you heard of anyone else who needed hospitalisation, spending just 2 days in hospital? Maybe he was infected but didn't really need hospital treatment - that could have been for effect?

I remember at the time his doctors refused to comment on the date of his first positive test - anyone know if that information was ever revealed?

No, afaik not revealed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1